Anaconda = dodgy Cobbs

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:22
ThreadID: 70307 Views:8646 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
I got a Cobb cooker from Anaconda a few months ago and my lid split. I called Cobb and was told that my Cobb isn't covered by Cobb International's warranty because Anaconda sourced their stock from a dodgy distributor in the US. Apaprently the stock Anaconda bought was made by a factory that Cobb sacked becuase of quality issues, like bloody lids cracking! I went back to Anaconda and they wouldn't replace my lid, even though Anaconda claim that their Cobbs have a lif time warranty. Obviosuly the Anconda people have a pretty short lives.. I demanded a refund which they reluctantly agreed to but only when i threatened to go to consumer affairs. I took my refund money straight to BCF and bought a new Cobb, where I'll buy everything from now on.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:24
Hi Richo,

What was the dodgy lid made from?

The lid on my Cobb is spun Stainless Steel, it'd take more heat than I could ever generate to crack it!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 372661

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 23:32
Hi Geoff, wasn't there a post the same as this just a little while back? Same problem, cracked lid on a Cobb, I just can't figure it. Maybe the stainless steel should be either normalised or stress relieved after the manufacturing process has been completed.
Dave
FollowupID: 639955

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:21

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:21
Hi Dave,
These were my thoughts!

As you say, the only way stainless heat cracks in such a mild environment is if it hasn't been normalised or stress relieved.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639966

Reply By: Richo88 - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:28
G'day Geoff,

Stainless steel. Apparently there is a process in manufacturing that adds thrength to steel, i forget the correct word. Anyway, the Cobbs that Anaconda purchased apparently missed this process which is why the cracking occurs.

Anyone out there in the steel industry? If so maybe you can shed some light.

Richo
AnswerID: 372663

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:22

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:22
Hi Richo,
Dave hit it on the head in the above follow-up, the lid after being spun hasn't been stress relieved or normalised.

Such low levels of heat shouldn't cause cracks in stainless steel.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639967

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:34

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:34
I'm not sure if the cracks are due to the lid not being normalised it maybe a different grade of stainless steel which couldn't handle the work harding in the metal spinning process.

Dueing the metals boom a lot of different alloys were tryed to combat some of the over priced alloys normally used to make this type of gear.
I know India come up with a grade of stainless heaps cheaper than grade 304 Stainless Steel with the same properties as far as corrosion resistance.But maybe it couldn't handle the extreme dome shape needed on the cobb lid.
IMHO

Cheers Scoof. :-)
FollowupID: 640016

Reply By: frank1956 - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:32
G'day blokes,
My mate bought a Cobb from Anaconda as well. He spoke to Cobb in Melb and they told him the exact same thing. They also told him to return it.
He'd already used it and it was filthy, but it didnt matter. Take it back if you got one from them. He said Cobb sent him a proper Cobb and matched the price that Anaconda do them for.
AnswerID: 372664

Reply By: Richo88 - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:35

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:35
Another thing that i was told by Cobb is that Anaconda's Cobbs aren't covered by their product insurance. So if you've got an Anaconda Cobb you better hope it doesn't cause a fire or you'll be on your own.
AnswerID: 372665

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:14
Hmmm,

Are you sure BCF don't source their product from the same distributor?

My understanding is that Cobb Australia have allocated sole retail distribution rights to Rays Outdoors.

May be wrong but be careful.

Previous retailers such as Snowys Outdoors in SA only had "old stock" to sell since the realignment, even though they were long time distributors of the Cobb brand.
Bit stupid IMO and it may come back to bite Cobb on the Bum.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372669

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 19:58
Hi all,
My wife and I bought our Cobb from the Rose hill show this year from Anaconda and when I asked if there was a difference between the bloke at the cobb stands product and theirs the bloke behind the counter laughed and said yeah the priceand they are all from cobb anyway then he said that they had big buying power and that was where we left it ,we have used ours at least once a week just to get the hang of it because we will be relying on it heavily when we travel around oz next year ,so Anaconda and cobb better not start this rubbish because it shouldn't be the customer that gets caught in the middle of this cat fight and if cobb was fair dinkum they should have got their legal dept onto Anaconda instead of just let it all go then knock back the people that support their product.

Nuff Said...Ive had my Dummy spit LOL!
FollowupID: 639923

Reply By: cruza25 - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 20:11
if you go to the cobb website they list

rays outdoors ---------most

bcf -----------------------all

barbeques galore------ kawana waters

as their only distributers

you can only buy the cobb pro direct from cobb

cheers

mik
AnswerID: 372684

Reply By: robsil - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:11

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:11
Anaconda buy direct from Cobb O'seas and not through the aussie distributor. so the Ausdt. Distributors of Cobb have cracked it and claim any Cobb purchased at any Anaconda isn't covered by any warranty, which is untrue. all warranties are covered. The store that put you through the hoops needs head office to give them a kick up the backside. Name the store and submit a complaint to HO of Anaconda. Through your complaints about an individual store is the only way HO know there are issues. This thread will be shown to my boss to show head office. Yes I work for Anaconda.
AnswerID: 372698

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:14

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:14
I don't work at Anaconda, but when this flared up last time, the same stories went around. There was even a carefully worded post from the Australian distributor on a forum, pretty sure it was this one that made it look like the Anaconda ones were not genuine. I called the Australian distributor and they admiitted that they Anaconda ones were identical to theirs apart from an insert instruction sheet that they put in, Anaconda buy from Cobb US directly.

Essentially the issue is that the australian distributer is unhappy that they don't get their chop and they have spread stories. Anaconda parallel imports these which is perfectly legal and at a lower cost. The Australian disributor is Cobb Australia, which is not owned by Cobb US, they just use the name ( according to theperson there that I spoke to at the time).

FollowupID: 639971

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 23:39

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 23:39
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 372719

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:12

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:12
Anaconda, the Bunnings of the camping and outdoor game.
AnswerID: 372732

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:01

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:01
The warranty is with the retailer anyway, Nothing to do with manufacturer.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 372738

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 10:46

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 10:46
The warranty lies with the manufacture, in our terms and conditions we state that we do not offer warranty on any product that we sell unless stated.

We will accept a warranty item and return the item to the manufacture or supplier but the manufacture has the final say to accept or not.

The manufacture warrants their products not the retailer.

This is a standard term most places have in place.

Think as it is a new car, the dealer doesn't warrant it and has no say in warranty claims but the manufacture does and in due course the manufacture of the car will claim of there supplier.

This is different if they are the importers, they would have an agreement in place for warranty claims with the manufacture.
FollowupID: 639996

Follow Up By: howesy - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:36

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:36
Whilst this is true to some extent, under the act there is such thing as implied warranty regardless of a manufacturers claimed warranty and a customer should expect reasonable service of a product, at least this was how it was explained to me by fair trading when I had issues with a product.. If the product only lasted two uses this is not reasonable and can be returned to the place of purchase with proof of purchase and it is up to the seller to either replace the product or send it to the manufacturer for repair or replacement (postage costs may apply). I know this because I have been down this road and the seller was given stick by fair trading and it was the seller ( who after they contacted the manufacturer) that replaced it after they were contacted. It was then up to them to sort it with the manufacturer.
Its all a matter of screaming loudly. The more of a show you put on the more they are inclined to help. I approach with calmness and good manners and if they turn on the bulldust I put on a show. Always go in on a saturday when its busy and they just want to get rid of you. And if you work for a retailer and you think this is not a good way to go then maybe if retailers started looking after their bread and butter a bit better we wouldnt have to play this way.
FollowupID: 640044

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:34

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:34
Thats exactly correct, Howesy, maybe i didnt explain myself properly. All warranty claims are with the seller, that is NSW anyway. . Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 640053

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:54

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:54
Unfortunately most claims are not dealt with correctly buy the reseller and or the customer.

We have hardly never had a problem putting in a claim to a supplier or manufacture.

We find if we keep the customer informed and provide them with copys of paper work from us and the supplier or manufacture they are more then happy.

Too many retailers are to quick to refuse a claim, this is not the right way of doing it.

South Australia has got this cute little law that enables us as a reseller to claim costs form suppliers or manufactures for faulty products, no other state or territory has it.

If we do have a problem between us and a customer we instigate an independent third party to be involved.

Most retail places you deal with have warranty claims handled by 18 year olds who don't understand logic and don't care.

We are here to stay in business and do the right thing, some times the right thing is not enough for some customers.

Consumer law is a very grey area and unfortanatly the people at consumer affairs don't always give the correct information to customers.

FollowupID: 640055

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:10

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:10
Micheal

Who is responsible - the trader or manufacturer?

If a consumer returns a faulty item, liability can be shared between the supplier and the manufacturer. However, it is ultimately the supplier's responsibility to resolve the complaint. A supplier or manufacturer cannot limit liability by excluding, modifying or restricting the rights and remedies available to consumers under the law in any way for the goods that are normally acquired for personal or household use. Any attempt to do so is unlawful, and there is the risk of being prosecuted for making statements that are false or may mislead consumers about their rights.

If a consumer suffers a breach of statutory warranty they can rescind the contract with the supplier and/or seek damages for loss from the supplier or manufacturer.

A reseller has to act responsibly and cannot refuse a claim for the hell of it.

A reseller can reject a claim if there supplier or manufacture rejects it, there is nothing anybody can do about it then.

" it is ultimately the supplier's responsibility to resolve the complaint"
The word is resolve and if there supplier or manufacture rejects the claim then the reseller has done everything in there power to resolve the problem.

It is not upto the seller to fork out the money.

Michae,
What happens if you Nissan GU was under Nissans factory warranty and Nissan rejected a claim for warrant, does that mean you have the right to get the dealer to repair it and cover the costs?

FollowupID: 640057

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 07:59

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 07:59
I will try it one more time!! Its up to the seller to negotiate a good out come for a refund or repair of faulty goods.. I agree that the seller should not have to pay for the refund or repair.. BUT the customer should not have to deal with the manufacturer.
Recently i rang Dick Smith when my internet router failed to work. I purchased it 11 months before, the guy at Dick Smith told me it had a 3 year warranty and bring it back. When i got to Dick Smith, the guy asked if i wanted a refund or replacement, i took a replacement but the model i had was out of production so i obviously took the new model. The original cost to me was $109 and the new model was $99. I got a new model and they even refunded the balance.. So Olcoolone, thats good customer service and they probably have done more than necessary.. But they have gained a loyal customer by their actions. Unfortunately DSE is owned by Woolworths but if you get good, price , customer service and after sales service, its hard to walk past them to support a smaller business, if the backup is not up to customer expectations.. Thats why most of those small businesses stay small. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 640128

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:59

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:59
Refunds & Warranties

Good luck out there......

FollowupID: 640161

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:20

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 19:20
At least we seem to be getting a little truth out of the "Cracked lid" sysndrome that Cobb was trying to blame one of the "InFront Camping Gears product for. How funny that it should be substandard materials and manafacturing rather than a product legitimately marketed to assist we Cobb users. Klaus, I hope your watching and reading.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372799

Reply By: Toby Darvall - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 14:20

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 14:20
Hello Campers,

My name is Toby Darvall and I'm the CEO of Anaconda.

I can re-assure our customers that the Cobb cookers we sell are 100% legitimate and not fakes. We purchased them from the same source as Cobb Australia.

Furthermore we offer a 100% lifetime, replacement warranty on all Cobb cookers we sell.

Because we imported them directly we can sell them cheaper than anyone else and also offer a 10% Low Price Guarantee.

Cobb Australia is spreading scurrilous and untrue rumours about the Cobb Cookers we sell. Why? Because they are angry we cut them out and imported directly.

We did this because Cobb Australia was consistently overcharging for Cobb cookers. At one stage they could be bought for less than half the price on the internet as Cobb Australia's RRP. We asked Cobb Australia about this many times but they refused to budge.

Parallel importing ("grey" imports) is perfectly legal and used by many large retailers to keep Australian distributors honest. It benefits consumers by ensuring fair prices and stopping overcharging. As you have seen, it also upsets distributors that don't play fair!

Enjoy your Cobb cooking.

Regards,

Toby
CEO Anaconda Group
AnswerID: 373173

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:01

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:01
What is the process exactly by which a claim should therefore be made? Does the claim go to Anaconda who will honour the claim Or does Anaconda send it to the Australian agents, or does it have to be sent back by the purchaser to the U.S?
FollowupID: 640379

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:03

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:03
Good that you have posted I bought a griddle plate from one of your stores.
On the sticker on the shelf it said $44.??
I was charged $49.??

I demanded the posted price and although i got the refund I went back later and the price had not been amended on the shelf.
The assistants didnt seem to interested in doing anything about it either.

Not a good way to keep customers is it.

Maybe you sell the cookers cheaper but you sure slug us on the accessories.

Wont be going back for more.

Also asked about Cobblestones and was told that they had to send them back because they were faulty.

How could they be faulty They either burn or they dont.

Seems that the stores dont stock them as have not seen any since.
FollowupID: 640380

Follow Up By: Toby Darvall - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:09

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:09
Hi MFewster,

You can make returns to any one of our stores. Anaconda will replace or refund any faulty stock with proof of purchase.

Thanks and Regards,

Toby

FollowupID: 640383

Follow Up By: Toby Darvall - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:15

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:15
Dear Graham,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the discrepancy between shelf price and marked price - we will always honour the lowest of the two.

The store should have taken the price down and I will follow up with an email to all our QLD stores to ensure they are updating shelf prices.

Cobb Australia will not supply us Cobblestones hence we don't stock them. We will be bringing in our own product shortly.

I'll check our prices on accessories. I will ensure we are at RRP.

Regards,

Toby

FollowupID: 640385

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:27

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:27
Thanks Toby, it's good to see in this day and age someone from "corporate" answering these questions on this forum.

BTW can you open a store in the Whitsundays....don't want to travel far from paradise to grab some items. LOL

Andrew
FollowupID: 640386

Follow Up By: Toby Darvall - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:30

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:30
...only if I can manage the store!

I met my wife in the whitsundays 6 years ago. What a ripper spot.

Regards,

toby

FollowupID: 640387

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 14:41

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 14:41
Hullo Toby,

good to see your reply.

It makes it so obvious that anything posted on the internet can be seen by anybody, anywhere in the world.

Even though I've been moderated myself a couple of times, this certainly illustrates why D & M want to keep things neat and tidy.

By the way Toby, when are we going to get an Anaconda in the southern suburbs of Perth, maybe even one in Mandurah. Give BCF a tune up..... lol

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373179

Follow Up By: Toby Darvall - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:06

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:06
Hello Gone Bush,

Thanks for your comments.

As far as a store in southern suburbs - we're working on it. Stay tuned!

Regards,

toby
FollowupID: 640381

Sponsored Links