GPS track plots for Simpson centre?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 11:34
ThreadID: 70323 Views:2414 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I'm supporting a walker later this year who will be passing through the Geographical Centre of the Simpson. If all goes well I won't need to go there but I'd like to have an access route worked out in case I need to drive in to recover him.
I've walked out there myself during my own solo crossing in June 2006 (17 days/400km) and I've driven cross-country in the western Simpson and east of the Colson so I'm happy with the off-track driving - and I'm getting good at repairing staked tyres :-) but I know there are drivers who've used the old shot lines and it would be great to see any GPS plots of which shot lines are useful etc. And what an efficient route might be from either the French Line or Colson. I'm running OziExplorer.
cheers
Lucas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:29

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:29
If you email me at graham-h@iinet.net.au I can put you on to someone who has walked it both up and down and across solo and also was out there when his daughter and 3 others did 800k in 30 days and raised $135,000 for breast cancer.
Cheers

AnswerID: 372752

Follow Up By: Luke2 - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:15

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:15
Hi Graham,
thanks for replying. I think you refer to Denis and I have spoken to him in the past - he's very experienced in the Simpson. However he hasn't walked to the geographic centre (his east-west trips were mostly on existing vehicle tracks and his north-south or south-north trips were on a route close to the original Bonython route from the 70s which is some way east of the centre) and I doubt Denis will have GPS track logs - most of his explorations were pre-computer mapping.
What I'm looking for are GPS track logs suitable for use in Ozi for the cleared line routes in to the geographic centre (the location is shown on the Hema maps). There are drivers who have been out there recently and in the past on this forum I've seen mention of different routes using a combination of old shot lines (but I did a search and couldn't find those old posts). Some of these cleared lines are overgrown and difficult to find and it will save me lots of time and possibly a few staked tyres if I can find the routes utilised more recently by other 4WDers.
Cheers
Lucas
FollowupID: 640010

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:25

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:25
Correct person Hes not to well at the moment recovering from stomach surgery..

He probaly didnt have a GPS when he was out there two years ago as he only has a Street Navman to my knowledge.

Is not my idea of spending a holiday Flies are bad enough but flies AND sand are too horrible to contemplate LOL

FollowupID: 640012

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:52

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 13:52
Lucas,
Send me an email. I have been where you want to go, and all recorded for Ozi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372760

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:02

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 17:02
I have also been looking at the trek on this site, for a possible trip to the centre Lucas, it also has a plot and some useful info.

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/RedCtr/Simpson_Desert_via_Geosurveys_Hill.aspx
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372778

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:36

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 21:36
Hi Robin
If you are after some details and would like the same as that I have supplied Lucas, let me know and will be glad to help out. I have supplied him with 2 cut down track files,both coming down from Geosurvey Hill, but coming out in 2 completely different areas.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640084

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:19

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:19
Thanks , that would be handy Stephen.

Hoping to go into dessert via Warburton , but way its looking at moment , it might not be acessible that way till August at least.

(Its 7c with some wind blown hail right now , outer melbourne.)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 640129

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:39

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:39
Hi Robin
By the time you read this, the other info should be in your of your email.
We are heading into the GVD in very early August, also from Warburton, our last fuel stop before lots of very remote tracks, before getting into Laverton, over 1300 kilometres later. We will be departing Docker River, Monday 3rd August, so if you are after a real challenge and have permits, look out for my Black Prado and 3 other vehicles and you are welcome to travel with us.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640131

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:40

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 10:40
Thanks Stephen - very helpful with the two different options now.

Thanks also for the offer to tag along but I fear I may have misled you , I was reffering to entering Simpson via Warburton crossing should it re-open in next month or two.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 640144

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:32

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:32
Your Hema map will refer to David and Joan Owen, who used to run a tour company called Aussie Tracks with a special interest in the North Simpson desert. David told me the easiest way to get to the centre was to pick up two shotlines - starting just above the border on the Colson Track. They are probably the prominent ones on the Hema map, but as yet I have not travelled them. One shotline heads east across the dunes and the other heads north up the swale to the centre. Unfortunately, I don't have current contact details for David and Joan.
AnswerID: 372793

Reply By: Luke2 - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:55

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:55
many thanks to everyone who replied with info. I have Stephen's files now and as soon as I fix a bug in my PC I'll put them in Ozi. And thanks Robin for pointing me at the trek already on the site.
cheers and happy travels!
Lucas
AnswerID: 372885

Sponsored Links