Follow up to thread 69926 - rear thump when stopping.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:10
ThreadID: 70347 Views:2387 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Read this post with interest. Although it was primarily with a Prado at the time of reading the post I started getting an identical problem with my LC100 IFS. I subsequently spoke to the service manager at my local Toyota dealership regarding a probable cause and discussed possible fixes as discussed here on the forum. After describing the problem to the service manager he said that it is known to be common with Prados and Cruisers especially when a service is due or the previous one hasn't been performed correctly. Resolving the thump in the rear is easily done by ensuring that the rear tailshaft grease point is full and that the nipple is not faulty ie. allowing grease to leak out. Once I pumped some more grease into it .. no more rear thump. Fixed as simple as that! Hope this may help others experiencing the same problem.
Regards
CraigB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:18

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:18
My 100 doesnt do it but there has been a lot of discussion with 200's doing it quite badly.

AnswerID: 372843

Reply By: Member - Pat (VIC) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 00:32

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 00:32
Hi CraigB
If the tail shaft is the same as the 80s LC I wouldn’t put too much grease in it as it puts too much pressure on the pinion bearing in your diff and it will cause it to fail very quickly.
I found out the hard way I filled mine up until it just started to expand.
It only needs 2 or 3 pumps of grease every service.
I stand to be corrected as I only know from my experience with the 80s LC.

AnswerID: 372862

Follow Up By: CraigB - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:29

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:29
Hi Pat,
I would have thought that in theory you couldn't put too much in (as the nipple if working correctly and rated to manufacturers specs) should only allow a certain pressure. Any more then it would leak back out through it. This is only speculation on my part as I am certainly no expert.
CraigB
FollowupID: 640130

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:04

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:04
Pat, it's not the first time I've heard of that - yes, putting too much grease in the splines will cause problems, particularly for the gearbox and/or diff bearings at either end of the shaft.

You need to leave SOME air in the space to allow for movement in the splines (they slide in/out as the suspension moves, that's why it's splined, not fixed). The air is compressible, the grease is not, so something else has to give/bend/move/break... (same concept as 'hydraulicking' the engine by filling the compression chambers with non-compressible water).
FollowupID: 640155

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 13:37

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 13:37
That thump when you pull up!! Could that you forgot to untether the dog from the towball after taking the dog for a walk yesterday.??. Have you seen the dog honey??????? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 372911

Sponsored Links