When size really matters GME TX3340

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 12:49
ThreadID: 70386 Views:8412 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Have found locating an inbuilt uhf radio discreetlly and out of sight a problem as my car offers very few opportunities to do this until now.The latest offerings from GME have solved many of my problems with the TX 3100 or in my case the TX 3340 with the full function microphone.These radio's are full function and as small and thinner than a cigarette box with 5w output.
Anybody using one and what do you think?
Cheers Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:00

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:00
I use the TX 3420 and an Icom 400Pro.

I have been through 2 microphones on the GME, and recently I wondered what the cost would be on the newer full function GME microphone.......

....Hence I bought the Icom when buying a 2nd UHF.
AnswerID: 373071

Reply By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:21

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:21
Hi Mark
I have a TX3440 which has a full function mic and the box hidden away behind the dash. I have had one problem with it...a loose connection which intermitently cut in and out during a Simpson crossing in May...quite a nuisance. Lucky had a hand held to use whilst it decided not to work. However has been fixed under warranty without any issues. Otherwise a good unit...takes a little while to learn how to use its functions.
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373073

Follow Up By: SteveL (WA) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:33

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:33
This seems to be common problem with these radios,we have had problems with the mic connnections on 2 of the trucks at work.They were only a few months old.
FollowupID: 640288

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:28

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:28
Watching with interest as i intend on making one of these part of my kit.
AnswerID: 373090

Reply By: Graham Watson - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:21

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:21
I have a TX3440 mounted behind the dash of a prado. I have had no problems hearing the radio in this location. The microphone is not wired directly into the radio body but is attached via an extension lead (seems to be basically a phone extension cord). This has allowed the microphone to be located nearer to the central console so it can be used by someone in either the front row or second row.
It is convenient that having once picked up the mike all the controls are immediately to hand, so there is no stretching to select channels.
We did have a problem initially that the radio worked fine for receiving, but regularly died when transmitting. Eventually traced this to a loose wire in the fuse! Replaced the fuse and no problems since.
Has worked much more effectively than the 1w hand-held it replaced.

Graham
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373141

Reply By: warfer69 - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 16:43

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 16:43
Yeah and GME by the sounds of it ARE NOT going to put the speaker in the mike head like Icom and Uniden...

I emailed them about 2 months ago as a general enquiry.

Anyway there way of thinking is that people will hav a tendacy to put the mike up to the ear when using and police will see this as a mobile phone.

AnswerID: 373195

Sponsored Links