Overheating Troopy

Submitted: Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 704 Views:1413 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thank you to the people that replied to my question. We found the problem to be the viscous oil in the fan. For 2 tubes of silicon additive it cost me $20 from Toyota. If you have a problem like this do yourself a favor and look at the easy problems first.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris - Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Stephen,
Yep, know what you've gone through as I am currently in the same situation with my '96 80 series. I have just added one tube of the oil, and will see what happens. Actually, we only had the problem when travelling up north, in the heat, so I will have to go bush and get it HOT to check out the results. I also checked out the aftermarket units, and my toyota dealer actually keeps some non genuine ones in stock at around $220, but made in Japan. I will see if the repco ones are the same, apparently around $150..either way it's better than $450 for genuine , eh?
Now, for a funny story: If you own a petrol, say 60 series, and this problem occurs, you can buy a water pump which INCLUDES the viscous coupling, for $180.00 TRUE!, but on it's own, you guessed it, it's still $400 or so..go figure?

Ahh.. the mysteries of the toyota's eh?
regards,
Chris
AnswerID: 1943

Follow Up By: Stephen - Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00
Good luck with your 80 series. I used two tubes of silicon additive. Then take it some steep inclines this should let you know if it worked.

Best of Luck
Stephen
FollowupID: 670

Sponsored Links