ratchet jockey wheels

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 16:48
ThreadID: 70419 Views:15784 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
giday all
would one of them $180 jobs move a 1350kg tare,1600kg? gross,tandem axle caravan on concrete up a very slight slope,also turn it say 90 degres.
also can anyone recomend a good brand.
thanks in advance
cheers
toohey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:14

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:14
Hi Toohey,

Yes they would. They are painfully slow, but they do work. It probably depends on how far you need to move the van.

I have a dual wheel Maco Mule which gives more traction than the single wheel model, but still require a bit of effort.

Check the price carefully and you may be able to justify THIS

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373197

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:33

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:33
Hi toohey

We can move our single axle van up a bit more than slight slope (with a bit of effort but ok) and certainly turn it no sweat. Its about the same mass as yours.

We have only a single wheel ratchet wheel. It is an Alko - we bought it to move our camper trailer across a lawn into a spot on the other side of th house. When the lawn was wet, we had a couple of short lengths of plank, lowered the wheel on to one plank, then rolled the CT along one length, then to the other etc. That saved churning up the lawn.

We don't need to travel off the driveway with the van, but moved it up the last three metres until I learned to back it all the way, and have on occasions in tight caravan parks moved the van in and out no sweat, and turned it around too.

I'd recommend the Alko, pretty rugged and nothing has worn at all in 9 years or so of intermittent use. The instructions call it an "Alko Power Mover" with no model number.

Cheers
Max

AnswerID: 373200

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:39

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:39
Hi there. I bought a Maco dual wheel unit for that very purpose. I would be nervous with a single wheel unit on a slope with a tonne and a half trying to get away, so I recommend a dual wheel unit (twice the skid resistance, and twice the braking effectiveness). I am assuming you are working on a hard surface,and make sure the tyre(s) on the unit are inflated properly.
I guess I am saying the Maco works hard and I don't feel hugely confident with such a weight. Pushing and turning is not the problem, so much as a fairly small tyre contact area to rely on when braking such a load. My van is a single axle one, so should be easier to turn than a tandem, on paper.
I am not promoting the Maco, I just don't have experience of anything else.
Any chance you could borrow one to do a test, before you lash out the purchase price?
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 373201

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:02

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:02
We had an Alko Power Mover single wheel ratchet device, and it was fabulous with our previous camper except for one thing. If you use it hard it overstresses the jockey wheel clamp. On one occasion it tore the whole clamp bolt out of the clamp nut with such force that it scared the hell out of me and left an incredible rubber tread pattern on the side of the A frame. Had I been closer it could have caused a serious injury. The old clamp had to be cut off and a new one bolted on in anticipation (well founded) of the clamp being damaged enough to need replacement again. When we upgraded to a 2.5 tonne (loaded) dirt road van, we found it was inadequate to do anything except the most minor straight line moves on flat concrete or similar. It could not steer the van at all, and we gave it away.
AnswerID: 373202

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:10

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:10
Cant help you but will watch the thread with interest. We store our van in our back yard & the situation is that we can reverse it in with the vehicle far enough backwards, but having got it to "far enough in" we then have to manually push the very front of the "A" frame in at a 90 degree direction for only for about a metre & a half with slight incline in order to get the gate shut.
We used to have a single axle van, and the manual pushing was as easy as.

We now have a dual axle & to manually push it in at 90 degrees is just about impossible with three people as the tyres have to drag across the pavement. I recently bought a boat winch, but hey, it seems to be under one heck of a lot of strain when pulling it in or out.

Had considered a dual wheel solid rubber ratchet job at about $350 & would be happy to buy it but reluctant, not knowing if it has the capacity to push the 90 degrees. Cheers
AnswerID: 373204

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:16

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:16
Spose you shouldn't do a follow up on your own answer, but the thee people mentioned above consist of me, 66 & out of condition with a beer gut, my better half who is not built to push caravans & my next door neighbour & he is in his 70's & also out of condition!! LOL
FollowupID: 640404

Reply By: Member - Sigmund (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:29

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 18:29
The brand I got is Ark I think and I can't recommend it.
AnswerID: 373211

Follow Up By: dave the brickie - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 20:52

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 20:52
I got the ARK from supercrap and after some time using it,I thought "rubbish won't work"but then tried spraying with WD40 on the F andR catches whenever I used it and it made a huge difference.It goes alright on concrete pads but would struggle on an incline,also the larger wheel makes it hard to use under some A frames.
Cheers ......Dave.
FollowupID: 640420

Follow Up By: Member - Sigmund (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:15

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:15
Thanks for the tip Dave. Might give it a go.

On mine the holed disc wasn't at right angles to the axle so the pins would only work for half a rotation. Took some bending to fix.
FollowupID: 640427

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:47

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:47
I also have had an ARK from Super cheap. I don't recommend them. On anything but level concrete, the jockey wheel could be turned by the lever, but simply skidded on the ground without moving the trailer. Changing the ratchet so the direction of movement could be changed was a real pain. Haven't tried the dual wheel models recommended here so I don't know, but the traction issue would stop me ever considering a single wheel model.
FollowupID: 640432

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:12

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:12
Another thumbs down for the ARK.

No grip on anything other than concrete. However, if it gripped on concrete and the camper (under 750kg loaded) had to go over a small ridge then the rim spun inside the tyre and ripped the valve off the tube. SCheap don't sell replacement tubes nor does anyone other than some tyre repair places.

If you're in Melbourne you're welcome to try the one I no longer use (after you replace the tube again!!!)

Adrian
FollowupID: 640437

Reply By: garryk - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 19:31

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 19:31
G'day
We have the Alko power wheel and is is ok to move our single axle van weighing 1650 kg to 1700kg on paved and only very slight slope and turn it more than 90 degrees
I think a tandem axle rig would not be able to be moved in the same way
and it does place some load on the jockey wheel mount but so far all ok
Garry
AnswerID: 373219

Follow Up By: toohey - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:14

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:14
thanks to all for your help
picked up the van today,the bloke had a secondhand alko single wheel job,$100 worked a treat when i got the van home.
thanks again
cheers toohey.
FollowupID: 640499

Reply By: henpecked - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:27

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:27
I know of a guy who years & years ago used a block & tackle with appropriately placed anchor point/s in his yard.
AnswerID: 373360

Sponsored Links