Tyre pressure monitors

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:01
ThreadID: 70425 Views:3079 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
been looking at fitting tyre pressure monitors for vehicle and van. Unit that looks suitable is the Jette TPS
Like not having to take tyres off rim to fit. Has retransmitter to ensure van tyres send signal to vehicle reliably and low power consumption.

Any other TPS systems or units should be looking at? Need to get this right first time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:14

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:14
FWIW I had the Jette 400B system for about a year or so, but sold it. In my personal circumstances it did not suit. In fact none of the current crop of TPMS suit MY needs. That's not to say that they are no good......of course they are.

IMHO they suit a motorist who sets their tyres at a certain pressure and has virtually no reason to adjust those pressures day to day. An example would be a road-going, highway-based tourer with a caravan, headed around Australia.

In my case, I do a lot of tyre pressure changes according to the terrain I'm traversing in my 4x4. Even that would be okay, except for the fact that I am technologically challenged, which means it was taking me longer to adjust the TPMS after I altered the pressures, than it took me to actually adjust the pressures!!!!! hahahaha

The other issue I had was that the valve-stem-mounted sensor units were susceptible to being knocked-off by rocks. I lost one totally and had the head broken off another one.

I have vowed that I won't buy another set of these until the system employed to change the pressures (after a change has been made to the tyres), is made much simpler. My idea of "simple", would be to get back into the 4x4 after doing the air-down/up and pressing/holding one or 2 buttons. Doing so would make the main unit seek-out the CURRENT pressures from each individual sensor and record it automatically as the new pressure that has to be monitored.

Roachie
AnswerID: 373239

Follow Up By: paulnsw - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:27

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:27
Roachie "An example would be a road-going, highway-based tourer with a caravan" that is exactly what I want to use it for. I have never had tyre failure on the van but have seen the results when it happens. Change van tyres every 5 yrs and dont expect tyre failure but a slow leak or puncture you dont know on a tandem often till it is to late. I think tyre pressure monitoring on a van is cheap insurance and peace of mind.
FollowupID: 640430

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:32

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:32
Roachie, I believe the TyreDog adjusts like you describe.

I'll know better in a couple of weeks when some friends get back to town.

They have a set on their Cruiser and another set on their van.

Discussed in the Thread mentioned below.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 640431

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:39

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:39
Now Now Mr Roachie,

You're quote:
"I am technologically challenged, which means it was taking me longer to adjust the TPMS after I altered the pressures, than it took me to actually adjust the pressures!!!!! hahahaha" I find very hard to believe.. LOL Bet SWMBO could have reset it in a couple of minutes and the boys could have done it before you removed the caps..

By the way Derek has just sent me a Booster unit for the Jette unit to increase the signal from the camper tyres, havent had a chance to test it properly yet. but will let you know. Have a look on his website if you want to check it out.

FollowupID: 641655

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:29

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:29
Paul,

have a look at Thread 69889.

Just a couple of weeks ago.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373242

Follow Up By: paulnsw - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:50

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 21:50
GB thanks for that forum message no. Tried the search and did not come up.
Appears the Jette may be the go. Schrader Air Wave not suitable for trailers.

Any other brands or types should be looking at?
FollowupID: 640433

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:05

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:05
Paul,

click on this link:

Thread 69889

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640435

Reply By: PhilD - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 00:09

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 00:09
I have the Jette system and it works very well. It is quite a bit cheaper than the Tyredog. Once you get used to adjusting pressures and your settings, it really is not difficult to use. Maybe I'm not as challenged as others! Used it on 11500km trip to the Cape last month and it saved me at least one tyre.
AnswerID: 373264

Reply By: Member - Campergirl (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 09:47

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 09:47
Hi Paul

I've got the Tyredog System. Easy to use and it saved me a tyre while I was travelling outback. Also as I'm new to driving in the Outback, it gave me confidence when I thought I may have a problem with the tyres but found it was just the road conditions.

I looked at others, but this one seemed the easiest to use and adjust. Found mine on eBay. I swear by it.

Good luck in your search.

:-)
Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373281

Reply By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 10:23

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 10:23
Hi Paul
I have a tyredog system and found it to be very useful and as someone else said, gave a fair degree of confidence. Easy to reset for new tyre pressure parameters if you are changing pressures up and down as I was doing. I think they are worth the money..
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373288

Reply By: zacc - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:36

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:36
I HAVE JUST RECIEVED A SET OF TYRE DOGS , SO FAR SO GOOD . GOT THE CHEAP GOT TO LOVE THE INTERNET SAVES $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
AnswerID: 373381

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:21

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:21
I've just bought the Orange Electronic TPMS with internal sensors off eBay - one week delivery from Taiwan for $213.

AnswerID: 374448

Sponsored Links