Halligans Bay Track ... Trailer or no trailer ...

Submitted: Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 12:28
ThreadID: 70437 Views:3690 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
OK - I've talked myself into doing the Oodnadatta track on my way north in late August / early Sept ... I noticed the little side track to Halligans Bay - Read the trek notes and its a sandy track ??

Will an off-road trailer get down and back OK or am I better off leaving the trailer close to the Oodnadatta Track while we potter down to Lake Eyre shore and have a look around ?

Is it safe to leave a trailer at a campsite on the main track ?

Any info will help

Rgds

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 12:55

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 12:55
Gday Steve,

You will have no problems taking a trailer in there!

Cheers

AnswerID: 373302

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 13:29

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 13:29
Hi Steve
I would not leave the trailer at a camp site on the main track. If you have thoughts on taking it in, leave it at William Creek. There are not a lot of places out that way where you can set up camp on the side of the track and not be seen by all, unless you want to travel some distance from the main track.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373306

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 14:39

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 14:39
Why not camp out near the lake? We did.

Follow the Halligan's Bay track to the lake and then turn left to follow the lake in a west or north west direction. Pretty soon you will come to an area of sand hills which offer good camping.

I am not sure what your travel plans are but we had lunch in William Creek and were out to the lake and set up well before dark.

We did get hammered by a thunderstorm which was quite unpleasant but makes for a good campfire story.

Duncs
AnswerID: 373309

Reply By: Mandrake - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 14:52

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 14:52
OOOPS - silly DH that I am !!!

I meant an ON_ROAD Trailer not off-road ... Wondered why everyone's
saying of course you can !! doh !!

Mine is a slipper sprung ON-ROAD POD ...

So lets try again - Will that get down that sandy track or am I better off
leaving it somewhere else ??

Sorry all - Am having a senior moment LOL

Rgds

Steve ( with omelette on face !! )
AnswerID: 373311

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:54

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:54
Steve

You will be fine mate, the track is by no means difficult.

The campground at Halligans is quite small and wired off, If any one else is camping there you will be pretty close to each other, however highly recommended for the star show is brilliant when you turn all your camp lights off.
Also take your wood in If you want a small camp fire, you'll have no chance of finding any out there.

Cheers
FollowupID: 640483

Reply By: carlj - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 17:37

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 17:37
We went there five weeks ago the road is corrugated but if you take your time you will be ok. It is worth staying out there for a night just for the star show.
AnswerID: 373333

Reply By: dazza62 - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 13:06

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 13:06
Just struggled through the first morning back at work since returning from the Outback on the weekend.

The track to Halligan's Bay has been graded in the last 10 days and should be ok for your camper trailer. Take your time and be prepared for the corrugations. Whilst we were there last week several tandem caravans ventured down and didn't appear to have any trouble.

You will need your own fire wood. Drop toilets are available.

Enjoy the stars and the sunset.
AnswerID: 374327

Follow Up By: Mandrake - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 13:18

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 13:18
Cheers Dazza - I was a bit concerned about the dunny department !! I can leave the blasted porta at home now as this was the only place I am staying at that I didn't have info on !!

I hope sunrise is OK too !!

Steve
FollowupID: 641558

Sponsored Links