plenty highway

has anyone been across the plenty highway recently? how were road conditions? is there decent camping for overnighters? we have 2 young kids and are towing a camper trailer. any info would be a great help. we leave the gold coast early august.

cheers
The Griswalds
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: A J - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:15

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:15
griswalds - have a look at thread 70246 I think.

A J
AnswerID: 373315

Follow Up By: A J - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:16

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:16
thread 70256 A J
FollowupID: 640478

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:56

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:56
Hi, I crossed from Gem Tree to Boulia in my Troopy a few weeks ago.

The road from Gem Tree to Tobermorey was ok with some corrugated bits - probably sat on about 80 kph. Queensland boarder to Boulia was far better condition and probably average 90 kph. No big pot holes or ruts, extensive road works near Tobermorey (NT side).

I camped at Gem Tree (nice camp) and then at a camp ground (free) a couple of km past the Harts Range race course, the race course turn off is signposted as you reach Harts Range from the west. I camped at Harts Range as I had been checking out some old mine sites nearby. Our next camp was on a turn out about 10 km before Tobermorey. There were several places where vehicles (road graders probably) had turned around and left a semi-circle track off and then back onto the road. I did notice a rather good camp spot just before the road works where a large flat area had been created by removing material to build up the road. You come on this area rather suddenly as you come over a small rise - it's on your right if coming from the west.

KK

AnswerID: 373320

Reply By: escapesilv - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:13

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:13
Hi Griswalds

haven't been along the Plenty since last July, but there is a great camping spot at Jervois for a small fee, and you can refuel, always have a couple of campers there over night.

Cheers have a great trip.
AnswerID: 373321

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:13

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:13
I travelled it in early June, 3 days Alice to Brisbane, the track was fairly potholed and bulldust about 100kms either side of the QLD/NT border, but apart from that was ok. Camp wherever you can find a creek or cluster of trees for some wood.

Enjoy...
AnswerID: 373377

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 21:22

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 21:22
Griswalds

Travelled the Plenty earlier this week towing a CT, as one earlier writer said the NT side averaged near 80, odd sections 60, Qld side substantial upgrading this dry season, much of it 100km/hr. No nasty surprises anywhere, saw a couple of old HiAce vans doing it (slowly).

Road has obvioulsy improved substantially in recent years, no bulldust anywhere.
Camping, just pull off the side of the road, but leave it clean and stay clear of stock watering points. Jervois Station where you will probably refuel around half way has basic camping with showers and toilets.

Do yourself a favour, if you have been to Longreach beforego go via Diamantina Lakes NP from Charleville instead of up the Landsborough.

Like so much of the inland we don't have time to do it justice, would have loved to have been able to spend time around Harts Range.
AnswerID: 376234

Sponsored Links