Mt Kaputar N P. Is there much to see and do??

Submitted: Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:52
ThreadID: 70440 Views:3610 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking for somewhere West NSW to take the kids during the holidays for a week, next week. I havnt been to Mt Kaputar, is it worth seeing. The NP booklet say no caravans, steep and narrow access apparently. Is off road trailer ok?? Thanks in anticipation.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:02

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:02
There is a camping spot where you can get in with a camper trailer. Good facilities. Can't recall the name of it.

Plenty of walks, and with the rain lately it should be greener than when we were there about 6 months ago.
AnswerID: 373338

Reply By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:08

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:08
Can not tell you much but we reavelled from Narrabri through to Bingara over Mt Kaputar a few years ago. Highly recomend what we saw, and we were towing an old on road camper. No problems at all. It would be a soda in any current model CT.
The road over the back was very interesting. There is a water fall, gorge area. Do not know a name. It was a really "highly recomend". As for camping there????.
If you go to the gorge area, I hope your children are well controlled. The area would have a lot to see. As for children there are no theme parks out there.
Still a great place to see.
Cheers
Tony F
AnswerID: 373342

Reply By: Mark R - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:07

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:07
Hi Michael,

Mt Kaputar is a must see. When I first went there many years ago, I was amazed to find that from the top of Mt Kaputar (a very short walk from the carpark) you can see the ocean, the western plains and up and down the Great Dividing Range. In fact from there you can see TEN PERCENT OF NSW! Amazing. Also plenty to see in the local area especially if a bit of bushwalking is your thing. Have a great time.

Mark
AnswerID: 373348

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:17

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:17
G'day Michael,
No worries with a camper trailer. A mate of mine towed his 4wd trailer up a few years ago. There is much to see and a great spot for families
Peter
AnswerID: 373350

Reply By: OzTroopy - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:30

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:30
The track from Mt Kaputar to Barraba is locked ... Keys are available but unsure whether you can leave it with a NPWS office at either end. Last person on it I spoke to, walked it but said careful vehicle access was easy. Wet and muddy as it would need to be, to fully enjoy Horton Falls, would make for interesting driving.

Coming from Mossvale I would recommend Coolah Tops NP for a night or two ... gets damn cold tho and a little snow is not impossible. There is also an old refurbished ringers hut for cheap hire - Mudgee NPWS handles that I think.

After looking at Mt Kaputar from Coolah Tops - Head for Gunnedah via Pandoras Pass ... and any of the link roads e.g. Spring Ridge ... or stick to the bitumen via Tambar Springs.

Gunnedah to Narrabri and onto Mt Kaputar camping area and summit .... which is a dead end.

The first camping area is a bit aged but good camping ... The second area - at the top is nothing short of incredible for NSW NPWS. Good Walks on marked trails, excellent amenities and even cabins for hire if you desire. Be aware the camping areas are predominantly tent based but areas of the parking area are good enough for a camper setup. Again ... damn cold up there so take some warm gear.

Narrabri itself has a few features ... and the required maccas and kentucky duck for younguns suffering withdrawal symptons away from the big smoke.

East of Mt Kaputar is the Rocky Ck / Upper Horton area with a few things to see and the trip from Bingara to Manilla is quite pleasant.

Last Kaputar thread:

Site Link
AnswerID: 373353

Reply By: A J - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:50

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:50
Michael - Iandra castle between Young and Greenethorpe would be a good stop for a cup of tea.

Plenty to do and see in the Narrabri area once you have explored Mt Kaputar National Park. Hot artesian bore at Burren Junction and Pilliga. Australian Telescope and Yarrie Lake also near Narrabri.

You can always come back to the Warrumbungles and climb Mt Exmouth where the western vegetation meets the eastern vegetation.

Camp trailers up to Kaputar is OK

Just some other ideas.

A J
AnswerID: 373384

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 07:44
Drove quickly through it earlier this year. I wish I had the traveled a lot slower as it was a beautiful area and I would like to have spent a lot more time there.
So, yes it is well worth seeing !!

AnswerID: 373420

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:19
Thank you everyone for some great information. I will put a plan together and get out there next week.. Thanks once again.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373422

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 09:43

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 09:43
And don't forget to see the thing it's most famous for....the Sawn Rocks
AnswerID: 373428

Reply By: Member - Fred G NSW - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:16
Australian Centre.The Australian Telescope is well worth a visit, and it's free.
A must do in Narrabri is the Australian Cotton Centre.

Fred.
AnswerID: 373439

Sponsored Links