Motorbike = Off topic?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:04
ThreadID: 70441 Views:3739 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Is posting about a new motorbike considered off topic?

Just wondering - don't want to type a lot of useless info if it's just going to dissapear, so figured I'd check first.

Maybe people who tour this great land on "cruising motorbikes" use this forum and would be interested?

Whats the consensus - are we interested or would it be off topic?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:06

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:06
Why not read the Moderation policy and find out ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373341

Follow Up By: Flywest - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:26

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:26
Kev,

I could find no definitions or examples of what are or are not considered "off topic" on this forum in the link you suggested.

I can't work out the "off topic rule" it seems to be quite an arbtrary thing - perhaps if only ONEreaders complains via moderator alert - then its deemed off topic.

It might be on topic to mention fishing
It might be on topic to mention boats
It might be on topic to mention gold detectors
It mght be on topic to mention a quad bike (say in relation to goldf detecting)
It might however be Off Topic to mention a quad bike enduro competition (in relation to a club event)?
It might be Ok to mention an offroad bike - in relation to say riding it across the simpson desert to raise funds for the RFD
It might be "off topic" to post about riding an enduro bike ac4oss the Simposn to advertise the bikes capabilities?

I don't know - just what it is that determines on or off topic stuff...

Take electroics stuff....

It might be Off topic to ask "whats the best Ipod on tne market to listen to music

but

It might be ON topic to ask "whats the best I Pod to listen to music in my CARAVAN" while touring Oz?

Just what are the "magic words" that some use for seemingly (to me) off topic posts or threads, and get away with it while others get deleted every time.

For example - if I take a "dislike" to one particular persons posts and "report" even the most slightly circumspect topic of that poster to the mods every time - can i influence the determination of what is or is not "Off Topic" by the mere fact that I take the trouble to report it?

I'm not saying having an off topic rule is wrong by any means - nor am I complaining about the moderation in any way.

I am asking HOW exactly any member or visitor can come to KNOW what is and is NOT considered 'off topic" for application of the Off Topic rule BEFORE they make a post is all?

I see a great many threads / posts headings that are of little interest to me AT THE TIME and consider them to my taste "off topic" AT THE TIME, (and as a result don't bother opening them to read them) yet later - I might suddenly want to replicate someone elses trip and want to know about a particular electronic item, and open that very same thread I skipped before - becaise now I have a NEED and suddenly what seemed off topic to me before now becomes On topic.

So this whole on / off topic thing for me is a complete mystery.

Reversing Cameras seem OK
Cameras to take happy snaps on a trip - OK?
Ipods?
GPS appears OK
Tyre monitoring gauges OK?

Theres an awfull lot of "electronic posts that because the gear MIGHT be iused on a trip seem to be OK yet really speaking maybe ALL electronics ought be better served on an electronics forums - why duplicate here what thise particular forums already cover very well?

Like I said, I really would like to understand the "rule" with regard to on and off topic before I post - to me the idea of touring Oz on a big cruising Mbike might be very interesting - but I might be a minority and posting about my interest might be Off Topic of just one person doesnt agree with me and makes a report to a mod?

I just don't understand is all and am asking for some kind of "guide" to the rules AFTER having re read the moderation policy section again and finding it wanting in this particular area is all.

I really would prefer not to waste mine andothers time if it is avoidable by a better understanding at the outset!

Cheers
FollowupID: 640506

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:44

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:44
You seem to have a grasp of what is required to not get it classed as OT so why worry.

I have had to reform my posts since the new policy commenced, so I know where your comming from, it took a few goes but I haven't been moderated for a month or so now LOL

Cheers
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640512

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:45

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:45
Holy Crap flywest take a breath LOL....

FollowupID: 640514

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:03
So, let me get this straight...

You want to ask a question about using your 4WD to take you and your FRIDGE to a base-camp and then riding a motorbike from there to check out potential CAMPING sites and 'save' the PLACES as GPS WAYPOINTS so that perhaps one day in the future you could potentially take your CARAVAN or CAMPER TRAILER there and perhaps even your BOAT for a bit of FISHING while listening to your IPOD depending on the weather in which case it might be better to spend the time GOLD DETECTING and you want to know the best TYRE MONITORING SYSTEM and REVERSE CAMERA to install on your motorbike for the trip but you're not sure if it will be off topic because you happened to mention that you might be listening to an IPOD along the way? Or did I miss something?!

I think you've got your answer - just relate it to camping, travelling and/or 4WDing and you can't go wrong! :)
FollowupID: 640604

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:21

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:21
Gday Flywest,

If your exploring Oz on a or a 4by it doesn't matter IMO......All for it, but then again Im biast.
There is another good website "ADV rider" worth a look at which targets the touring two wheel junkie, Is world wide though.

Cheers
AnswerID: 373343

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:23

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:23
Ooopss..... meant to be "If your exploring Oz on a dirt bike or a 4by it doesn't matter IMO"
FollowupID: 640501

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:38

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 18:38
Flywest,

I have a cruiser motorbike as well as a fourby, just LOVE getting out for a cruise!

And also, last year at Big Red we met some guys riding to raise money for charity... and also Robin Miller from this forum met (and helped) them on their Simpson Desert Crossing. Their web site which details their adventures is HERE follow the links to the Simpson Desert story and you'll read of Robin's involvement.

Cheers

Brian

95 DX Patrol

2008 Honda VTX 1300
AnswerID: 373345

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:28

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:28
Plenty of people explore Oz using motorcycles as their means of getting from point A to point B................

Why would motorcycles be considered off-topic??? any more than say, horses, camels, or heaven forbid, four-wheel-drive motor vehicles??

,;))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 373352

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:38

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 19:38
" Why would motorcycles be considered off-topic ??
any more than say, horses, camels, or heaven forbid, four-wheel-drive motor vehicles ?? "

or even more conventional *two-wheel-drive* motor vehicles too

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 640511

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:53

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 20:53
Hey flywest,

Matt has the 80 series and a few years ago I had the Kawasaki!!!!

Cheers
Caz
AnswerID: 373369

Reply By: Member - Sigmund (VIC) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:52

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 21:52
Shoot, if we can have posts about Nissan donks clapping out why not about Kwacka's petrol tanks rusting out?!

Bring it on.

(I record some of my Sunday club ride routes on everytrail.com .... look for Ziggy99)
AnswerID: 373385

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 00:31

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 00:31
"don't want to type a lot of useless info if it's just going to disappear (sic)”

Good philosophy - stick with it, especially the bit about typing useless info. The fact that it may disappear is probably a good thing given that you have classified it as "useless" in the first instance.

On a more serious note, type it into a word processor first. If your post does actually get removed don’t whinge (I don’t think it will help your cause or your business), just find another forum that appreciates your philanthropic intent and move on….well that’s the path I’d take.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373400

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 07:30

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 07:30
Flywest
I love reading about other peoples trips around Aus. Be it motor home van tent what ever. Not long ago we watched the Long way around and the other one I cant remember what it was called. Found myself in ore of how fit two wheel junkies are and where they took these bikes. Go for it I recon. If someone isn't interested all they have to do is move on.

Sharon
AnswerID: 373419

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:07
Good point Sharon - there are lots of posts here that don't interest me, as some of my posts don't interest everyone else. Hey, I'd never sleep if every thread was interesting and I had to reply to them all! :)
FollowupID: 640605

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 18:37
Sharon.... you are going to hate this.... I'm a teacher and I almost never do this..... but......

you didn't mean 'ore', that's stuff you dig up.... "awe".....

Forgive me.....

Anyway, I agree with what you said. It should only be if something is a real nuisance to us lot that it should be moderated.
FollowupID: 640619

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 17:50

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 17:50
Thanks Royce I did mean awe. Your forgiven.
Sharon
FollowupID: 640756

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:17

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:17
Well the "Indian is back" thread is now up n running - we will see what transpires.

I for one would love to try riding around Oz on one!

Cheers
AnswerID: 373590

Sponsored Links