cooking with DreamPot

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:20
ThreadID: 70459 Views:6141 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My son just bought me a DreamPot and I am eager to try out some of the recipes. I notice that to make cakes and loafs it says use a loaf tin - off I trotted to the local supermarket and would you believe a loaf tin isnt at all easy to come by these days. I am thinking that if I could find one it probably would be to large anyway. My question is what do you use. There are some suggestions of tin cans which was OK prior to the cans having ring pull tops although I must say I was a bit concerned that there might be some posibility of posioning from the tin.

Any suggestions as I am leaving next week on a three week trip and would love be able to fully utilize it.

PS I have emailed the company to see if they sell the accessories.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:37

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:37
Not sure what size you need, but I was wandering thru a commercial catering supply co. and found some quite cheap stainless steel rectangular tins meant for bain maries in restaurants. These are similar size to the common loaf tins. Work well in my camp oven for loafs and desserts, and don't rust.
Gerry
AnswerID: 373432

Reply By: Member - Highlander (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 16:21

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 16:21
Hi Ian & Sue,
I watched a demo at the camp show and the owner of dreampot was using med & large fruit tins,they worked a treat. may be you could give these a go.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 373463

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 17:37
Gday,
Let us know how you go with it.
Ive recently been given a dream pot , but havent tried it yet.

Cheers
AnswerID: 373486

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 18:38
Hi there,

Slip along to your local cookware store and ask for a "rubber" cake tin.

Looks a little small but I use it to bake bread in the camp oven or Cobb cooker and it is supurb.

The one I have is a Willow brand and is a grey silicon rubber "tin" which withstands high heat without damage. The flexible nature of the "tin" allows easy removal of the contents and can squash up to any shape for storage if desired.

Actually I have two of them as I couldn't find the original one I purchased. When I set up our last camp on the June long weekend I found the original in the camper, so now I have two to play with.

Excellent containers.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373493

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 18:49

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 18:49
Have had a dreampot for a couple of years now. Yes they do sell cake tins to suite. Have cooked roasts, stews, cakes, scones, golden syrup dumpling. soup, vegies, porridge, rice, chocolate pudding and kept foods hot while picnicing like sausages, frankfurts ect. Maree also greases the top pot as a cake tin for larger cakes.

Josh
AnswerID: 373497

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 19:01
Ah... so you can use the top pot as a cake tin. I was thinking of trying that.
FollowupID: 640623

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 19:00

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 19:00
Thanks for all your great ideas! I am going to "have a go" tomorrow - first I have to go and buy some tinned fruit. LOL.

I tried the Foccacia from the cookbook and adapted it a tad as I didnt have all the ingredients suggested so dropped some and added replacements. It was absolutely brilliant, my husband would probably think its a little "doughy" when he gets back from work next week I will try it on him. If he isnt keen then its more for me!!!

I also tried the Corned Beef and vegies especially for my son when he was home. To tell you the honest truth I didnt expect it to be able to cook like that, when I undid the pot after around 6 hours of sitting it was still to hot to touch!! Dinner went down very nicely after having to go and rescue him from the sand-dunes with the Jeep in the cold and wet.

Now - wheres that recipe book I feel a chocolate something coming on for after dinner tonight! Shame the boys are away at work I just might have to eat it all myself! LOL
AnswerID: 373499

Reply By: BubblesT - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 20:28
I puchased cake tins from commercial wholesalers that are used for tiered wedding cakes they come in different sizes these are great to use.
AnswerID: 373512

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:12
My wife purchased a Dreampot a couple of years ago and we use it at home lots and take it camping. She cooks a range of delicious meals including soups, rice, vegies, scones etc. For cakes she uses old fruit tins. Your concern for poisoning is from the earliest tinned food prior 1900s when the tins where sealed with lead solder. Tins now are welded on the seams or roll jointed. The tin plating on steel is a common food utensil and the bread baking pans are the same product. The only advantage in proper baking dishes is the sides are sloped outward slightly for easy removal of the bread.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373564

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:47

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:47
Ekkk.... I know I am "maturing" LOL - I obviously need to update my knowledge of cans. :-)

Obviously if all you guys are using them and still alive to tell the tale it cant be too bad to recycle the good old can.

Sue
Geraldton WA.
FollowupID: 640691

Sponsored Links