Treks Close to Perth

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 23:08
ThreadID: 70481 Views:2510 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

just got my 1st 4wd (2000 Mazda Bravo TD 2500) and was wondering if anyone could suggest any good tracks to cut my teeth on within spitting distance from the top end of Perth, I've already taken a trip from Pinjar Pine Forrest through to bullsbrook and well, one can only get so much experience on flat sand, 1 Day/Night trips would be much preffered and walking distance to a main road should the worst occur would be preferable...

Cheers
Jimmy B

(P.S, is it normal for a bravo to get 7K's to the ltr? i was expecting bad but its a rather scary amount for a diesil...)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stumbly - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:28
g'day Jimmy, a search on here will give you trek notes for the mundaring power line trek - can be easy or hard, theres chicken tracks if it looks too tough in spots.
Theres also the moore river tracks which you can do in a day trip or over night at one of the coastal towns.
hope that helps, Keith
AnswerID: 373572

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 16:32

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 16:32
Hi JimmyBL
Wilbinga ,about 10 mins past Yanchep off Wanneroo rd is a good place. The turn off is on the left,OPPOSITE Military rd.

The other good trip is from Landcelin to Cervantes,allow a good 7-8 hours as the going can be very slow in places.
You might find somewhere along the way to camp or you could stay in Cervantes and drive home along the Brand hwy the next day

At this time of the year beaches are very dangerous to 4wds,The sea levels are higher ,making the beach steeper and narrower with rotting seaweed hidden under a thin layer of sand .
Its advisable to take tracks behind the sand dunes till about Xmas.
AnswerID: 373628

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 18:08
Cant help you with tracks aroud Perth.
I used to own a 2000 T/D courier (same thing) and had 10R15's (31inch) A/T's bullbar, electric winch, 2 nd battery, highrise canopy and averaged 12-13 litres / 100 ks loaded for trip away.
Before mods and with standard wheels and tyres it was between 9 - 10l/100k.
Havent got a calculator handy so you will have to do the conversions.
Shane
AnswerID: 373643

Reply By: Member - ranger1 - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 19:31
Grab a copy of 4WD trips around Perth and 4WD trips on the south coast by western 4WD (Local mag for WA)

I would head down to Pemberton and check out Yeagerup and Warren beaches which is accessed via yeagerup dunes- not hard tyres to 12psi and you will make it easy

The driving is excellent and there are alway speople about to help if you get stuck, you can also pop into the cop shop/DEC office and get advice.

Pemberton discovery tours also do a tag along tour of the yeagerup beach.

after a days driving/fishing/camping on the beach you will not want to leave

For me the best (4WD) driving within 4 hours of perth
AnswerID: 373660

Sponsored Links