Rudall River Feedback

Does anyone know the location of Billy Dunns Cave which I think is close to Christmas Pool, but is not the cave (Jinawanura Cave) which is accessed from the Christmas Pool park /camp area.
Regards Norm M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:20

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:20
Hi Norm,

The same question was asked five years ago and there was no answer then either. Who was Billy Dunn and what is interesting about this cave ?
Thanks,

Willie.

April 2004 Exploroz Archives
"Hi guys
Can any one out there help me with info & location of Billy Dunn's cave also jinawanura cave supposedly norh of national park somewhere .
Thanks & Cheers .
dingdong.
Whiskey 746"
AnswerID: 373579

Follow Up By: Member - Norm M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 23:37

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 23:37
Willie, Billy Dunn was an aboriginal stockman / drover whose biography is published in the book "Pilbara Bushman: the life experience of W. Dunn x Graham. J. Wilson (available State Library WA). He assisted a lot of the survey teams throughout the Pilbara, and was the first aboriginal to be granted a grazing lease (Mt Divide Station). He was highly respected by both indigenous and non indigenous peoples in the Pilbara. This book doesn't mention the cave in question.
I am aware that commercial tour operators include this cave in their itinerary, and they are coy as to the location. We were lucky enough to strike a friendly tour guide at Durba Springs last year who told us how to find Jinawanura caves, but silly me, didn't enquire about Billy Dunns cave, by deduction I know it is in the vicinity of Xmas Pool.
Wil be going there again in Sept, exiting the park via Hanging Rock and Chrisites Crossing, but if someone can come up with the location of this cave, we'll try to find it
Regards Norm M
FollowupID: 640832

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:06
Diamantina Tours

Apparently these guys know where it is, because it's part of their tour for 2010 (day 5), and so do Coates Wildlife Tours

Bet they are not too eager to give that info out though!
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373602

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:10
Check this out:
amazing what you can find with google or yahoo!caves damaged
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member