Border Track & Little Desert Trip

Submitted: Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 12:35
ThreadID: 7049 Views:2093 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A few of us from the forum are heading down the Border Track and crossing Little Desert at the end of the month. We have room for one or two more vehicles at the most. Meeting at Bordertown on the 27th Sept, expect to cross little Desert west to east 29/30th

If interested in all or part of the trip email me

desertdust@yahoo.com

My Best Mates
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerry - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 13:25

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 13:25
Mad Dog
There's a short article in the October issue of 4x4 Australia advising of the closure of the Border Track, probably until November some time due to maintenance work. I don't have the mag with me but the Ranger's phone number is in the article if you can get a hold of a copy.

Just thought I'd let you know so as to avoid disappointment in finding the track closed upon your arrival. Sorry about the bad news but better to know beforehand.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 30202

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 13:39

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 13:39
I dunno about that Gerry. It's open at the moment and the Ranger I spoke to didn't mention any planned closure. I know the South Aussie boys have their twice yearly working bee in Nov, I think the week after our trip. There's a lot of rumours going around about the track lately. I think the best idea is to just rock up and see what the go is, if it's closed then Big Desert/Wyperfeld is the go. Thanks for your concern.

My Best Mates
FollowupID: 21251

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 17:48

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 17:48
Ray Ron Moon mentions it is closed too and gives the ranger contact in 4x4 mag this monthSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 21311

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 19:47

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 19:47
I have no doubt it was closed at some stage but the only way to get up to date info is to ring the boys at the coal face. By the time this info gets into print and distributed hell could have frozen over.My Best Mates
FollowupID: 21314

Follow Up By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:54

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:54
The working bee is on the October long weekend (1st one)Al Symers
FollowupID: 21405

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 00:56

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 00:56
i read that article too but i rang the ranger this week and he said it was mainly open but some detours..... _____________________________________________

Reply By: Simon - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 17:27

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 17:27
Wouldnt it be wet at this time of year?

Isnt that what all the environazis are whingein about?

Using the track when its wet?
AnswerID: 30344

Reply By: Alby - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:58

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:58
Guys, i have travelled the border track on several occasions - ths last time was only 8 weeks ago. To say I was disapointed is an understatement! All of the challenging and interesting spots have been closed of and the detours to bypass them are long and even boring. However, about a month ago, the rain had flooded several sections and made travel in the area some what interesting.

Most of the water hole sections are now closed and now the highlight of the trip is a large sand dune that has a network of tracks up and down the face. No doubt in the next couple of years this area will also be closed of.

Mind you, the area is beaticul and lovely to visit any how. So it may be an easy drive - but pretty non-the-less.

Driving when it is we here should have nothing for the environmentalists to worry about cause it is flat and mainly sandy so any rain that has pooled will fill up any holes made.

There are some great bush camp sites to explore.

Cheers
AnswerID: 30443

Sponsored Links