Yardie creek crossing info sought

We r planning on crossing Yardie Creek early August (north to south) any info of crossing would be appreciated, will check again closer to date) driving hilux ute not towing anything.
We have tide guides for area but wandering what the crossing is like this year? sandy steep empty ?
cheers MIke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 15:33

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 15:33
Hi Mike,
I was there about a month ago and watched several vehicles cross at low tide. From the northern entry point the vehicles went well down towards the sea where the sand was hard and the water very shallow (about 20 cm) and they crossed at that point with no difficulty at all.

I did see the tracks where a rental vehicle was said to have been swamped the day before, that vehicles tracks went straight into the water in line with the northern side approach from the car park - straight into a deep mud bank on the south side !

I can't see that anyone should have any problems at low tide as long as there was not a real high sea running or a high flow of water coming down the creek.

KK
AnswerID: 373617

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 20:19

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 20:19
PS
If you let me have an email address I can give you a couple of photos.

KK
FollowupID: 640799

Reply By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 23:45

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 23:45
Hi MIKE

It has been some years ago, we sat around the day before at LOW TIDE (which I felt was important at the time) and watched someone else cross and then walked it first. I was verrrrry cautious. So I had my approach and departure all set out. On the day.......come low tide ...there is some bloke there waiting to show me how it is done. So I watch him....He drives in and is following my route almost excact then goes a little bit to the left and dropped his front end into a gully that stalled his engine just as all 4 wheels hit the other side. No major problem.....just a few wet wires

So take what you will from all this but have a great trip
Brian R
AnswerID: 373700

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 01:39

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 01:39
Mike,

IMHO, If you can drive in sand at all, you will have no problems, I have crossed it in an Auto XA Ford Panel Van with tyres down.
I would suggest even if its not needed which I believe it's not, just as a safety measure drop you're tyres to about 18psi and wait for low tide, drive across and then wonder what all the worry was about.. LOL

Last year I seen about 8 vehicles waiting and waiting to cross, then a Yota tray top drove in, water reached about half way to it's hubs and then everyone crossed like sheep.

AnswerID: 373880

Sponsored Links