Tyre pressure off road Tanami, Gibb River Rds

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 23:00
ThreadID: 70507 Views:4786 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

We plan to travel the Tanami and Gibb River Rds towing a Camper trailor and just wondered if any tyre experts out there can suggest what PSI we should be running the front rear 4WD tyres and Camper? Any feedback welcome. Also has anyone recently travelled the Tanami and do you have feedback on the road conditions. thanks James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: long haired nomad - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 02:42

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 02:42
Gday James,
The tanami is corrugated but ok same as the GRR. As far as tyre pressures go, i just came back from up there i travelled with road pressures 40psi in back( loaded hilux ute )and 36 psi in front no punctures. Others will say to drop pressures.
In my opinion, do what you think is best. That way if you get a flat you have no one to blame but yourself, if you dont get a flat your decision was the right one.
Just drive to the conditions and you will be ok.
AnswerID: 373705

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:26

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:26
Hi James, I used to be a firm advocate for certain tyre pressures but these days (in rough conditions) I now work on the size of the tyre footprint. I let the pressure down till I have the length of my foot equal to the length of tyre tread that is actually in contact with the ground. You may like to try that and see what your tyre pressures are.

KK
AnswerID: 373708

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:31

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:31
Tanami + Gibb + 8,000 other dirt klm on last yrs 23,000 km sojourn , 80 series towing c/t ,all up combined weight just under 5,000 kg , 38psi front - 40 psi rear + 38psi on c/t , only time pressures dropped was on salt pan nth of Quandong pt WA and driving on 80 mile beach WA . What pressure works for one does not necessarily work for someone else , adjusting speed to the conditions is just as parramount as tire pressure.
AnswerID: 373722

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:27

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:27
James

If your tyre have too much pressure rocks can puncture the tread

If too little your tyres can suffer damage to the walls.

The right pressure depends on the vehicle, road conditions, etc.

I usually run 30 psi on the Patrol and 15 psi on the camper when off the black top.

At lower pressures the tyres also have more give and therefore more comfortable on corrugated roads

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373738

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:37

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:37
I'm surprised that you havent been bombarded with advice to lower pressure,
as that seems to be the popular theory. I ran 40/38 lb on both the roads you mention in a moderately loaded Jack towing a light C/t & had no problems.
30 psi in the C/t. As has been mentioned, the way you drive will be the thing
that has the biggest influence. A matter of choice of course, but every tyre
demolition we encountered out there was running low pressure, & usually
a high load as well.........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 373915

Sponsored Links