Ruth's Photo - Fish of the Day

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 16:51
ThreadID: 70521 Views:4164 Replies:6 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone - this isn't nearly as good as Norm's fish but it isn't too shabby either. Ruth caught this one - and proud of it as well. Weighed in at just over 4 and 1/2 pounds - might have to cook it with more of that garlicy cream yabbie sauce. (Oh yes, and I got the yabbie bait back as well - I am so mean I like to catch a few fish on the same bait). LOL

Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mandrake - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:01

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:01
Just for us non-fishers - What fish is it ?

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 373782

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:10

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:10
Steve, it's a Diamantina Barra (a yellow belly).
FollowupID: 640923

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:35

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:35
AKA
Golden Perch (click the link)...

The Vics call 'em "callop", I believe...

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 640960

Follow Up By: Mandrake - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:26

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:26
So its a Diamantina Barramundi Golden Perch Yellow Belly Callop ...
No wonder I don't fish - wouldn't know what to call it except fish - LOL

Anyway I hope it tastes good .. it'd want to with a name like that -- LOL

"Excuse me waiter we'll have the Diamantina Barramundi Golden Perch Yellow Bellied Callop - Grilled with plenty of Garlic Yabbie sauce thanks"

Hmmm - Its a bit of a mouithful eh ?? LOL

Cheers

Mandrake the non-fishing one !
FollowupID: 640982

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:42

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:42
Ha ha Mandrake, still laughing. Bit like Manuel from Fawlty Towers!
FollowupID: 640991

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:04

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:04
Steve,

I think you will get a chance to try one when in St George at the Gathering.

I am sure Scrubby will let you try one................. if he catches any LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 641062

Follow Up By: Mandrake - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:53

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:53
Providing I get through all the NT with my "stash" of grog - I will be only too happy to accept a "Scrubby" caught fish in exchange for a drinky or 3 !!

I'll bet you can't say"Diamantina Barramundi Golden Perch Yellow Bellied Callop "
after a few glasses - LOL

Looking forward to the gathering ... and the road trip before ...

Cheers

Mandrake - 43 Days to go !!
FollowupID: 641069

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:38

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:38
Hey Sir Kev, I put up a Follow Up last night suggesting to Steve that he could catch one at the St George Gathering but it seems to have disappeared!
The fishing competition should be great!
FollowupID: 641076

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:17

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:17
Ruth,

I think there is a few EOer's arriving early to participate in the fishing comp.

I know Scrubby was keen on it. I took my nephew fishing at christmas again and there is still quite a few in the river.

The christmas prior to that is where my eldest caught her biggest Yella to date (pic in my profile)

Most yabbies that I caught were too big for bait as well LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 641084

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:17

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:17
Nice fish Ruth. I've caught a few Yellow Belly in the rivers and dams, but have not managed one that big yet.

Hopefully when we get to Birdsville one day, the river will be running well and you can show me how to catch them.

Well done!

Norm C
AnswerID: 373787

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:13

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:13
Norm, be happy to take you fishing to the secret fish hole.
FollowupID: 640955

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:55

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:55
Ok! Ok! Ruth, when are we going to get your FAMOUS receipe for "garlicy cream yabbie sauce' and can we freeze it.

AnswerID: 373796

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:12

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:12
Righto, Cuffs, this is a camp recipe. First, catch your yabbies - big ones are for eating and small ones for the fish bait. Put the yabbies into a big pot of boiling water into which you've put a stick of celery (and tops) chopped in chunks, chunks of carrot, chunks of onion, salt and pepper and some garlic cloves. When yabbies cooked (about 8 mins) drain them and wait until they are much cooler before trying to peel them otherwise you will be sorry.
Now, take a clean saucepan (as Mrs Beeton would say) - just a small one, little butter, finely chopped onion (because I forgot to put the shallots and parsley in the esky when I left home), finely chopped clove of garlic, sweat these together a bit stirring all the time (don't let them go brown tho) and when you are ready - that is, fish or steak almost cooked, pour in a small container of longlife cream (this is a camp recipe remember) and stir carefully to heat very carefully. When this is heated tip in all the peeled yabbies (and whole big claws that have been cracked - oh yes). When fish/steak plated with salads and vegies carefully spoon sauce over and tuck in.
I would put 2 cloves of garlic in my next one (Friday night) and no you shouldn't freeze it because it only takes a few minutes to make. This quantity did make enough for two meals for us (2 of us) so we had it on fish one night and steak the next. Hope you like it.
FollowupID: 640953

Follow Up By: Jenmcd - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:44

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:44
Hi there Ruth

Long time since I have been on EO..... things are just not the same since we sold the Tvan :(. Cant believe it is a year since we were in Birdsville and the Simpson... Will have to get back again for sure.

Saw the post on Yabbies and couldnt resist..... you do cook up a mean yabbie meal....remember it well.... sort of!

Say hi to Ian and I hope you guys are well and happy. Gee I miss camping :(

Jen xxxx
FollowupID: 640962

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:54

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:54
Jen, wow how lovely to hear from you - I didn't realise you had sold the T-van. Ian says Hi and he's still laughing about that dinner we had - I can still taste the garlic in the yabbies - and I bet you never drink red wine anymore. What a night? Poor Andrew - he had such plans for that night. Ha ha ha.
Kisses for everyone (except Andrew of course) - hope my little tiddles are still gorgeous, if not so little anymore. We are well thank you - and the Simpson/Eyre Creek terrific. Have a look at last night's photos of Eyre Creek on the Forum - that'll make you homesick.
Love Ruth and Ian xxxx
FollowupID: 640999

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:15

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:15
what a waste fo good yabbies...lol
FollowupID: 641054

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:10

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:10
Congralutions Ruth,
good river fish. If you ever get down this way you will have to have a fish in Windermere. Yellowbelly over 10lb at comon, but taste like xxxx, to big and fatty. But great sport.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 373823

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:49

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:49
Pete, would love a go at that! One of the really good things about the Diamantina fish is that it is so clean - the water is all sand filtered so fish don't have that muddy taste usually associated with yellow belly and inland dams. When we clean them, we skin and fillet and you can see the fat as its a different colour from the flesh so scrape that back. Our main way of cooking is straight onto a very hot bbq plate - no oil, butter anything as there is enough in the fish. If the fish are very fat then we put the fillets on a stainless steel tray
in the cold room and scrape the fat next day (it seems to show up overnight).
I like my fish to taste like fish which is why I like them cooked simply not usually covered with sauce either! I don't even like lemon on mine.
I really like freshly caught whiting for my breakfast also. (Going after King George Whiting in SA next March again).
FollowupID: 640997

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 13:26

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 13:26
Lol Ruth, always arguing with Sal over sauces, feel the same about steak. The are other lakes like the very pretty Dunns Swamp, or Wyangala where the yellas taste great. In Windermere we only take them home up to about 3lb, and let the big ones go. Bit hard to bait fish as the weed is bad. We lure fish or use really big 3 inch long flies. It is quite exciting as they follow it up right to the bank, then just suck the fly or lure in at the last moment so it is very visual.
But a 10 lber sure puts a bend in a fly rod lol.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 641122

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 14:54

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 14:54
Gee Pete, that sounds like some good fishing spots. Must say I'd like to have a go at fly fishing - my Dad used to sit patiently tying flies when I was a kid. Thought I'd like to get my own helicopter so I could go fly fishing up those rivers in NZ (there was a TV show about it). I'm not really good with the lures yet but still trying. I don't like eating the big fish either. I grew up with beach fishing whiting, bream and flathead so this inland fishing is newish to me (about 15 years). Sure like the idea of luring a big one up onto the bank - I was doing that yesterday with the blasted yabbies - must have had about 5 fish spit the bait right on the bank, and too cold to jump into the water and the bank goes straight down as well when trying to retrieve the fish!
FollowupID: 641135

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 00:47

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 00:47
Nice one Ruth,

There a nice fish to get hooked up with, even prefer them to cod as they at least give you a bit of a battle, not quite up to the Top End Barra for a fight but still good.

Cheers Keep the lines wet and tight.

AnswerID: 373877

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 13:30

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 13:30
Interesting Blaze, the cod in the Macquarie fight like mad. We have videos of catching 70cm cod on bait casters and they took at lest 10mins to land, thats on about 12lb line.But they always fight better before xmas, and after a fresh when the river is healthy.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 641123

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 14:56

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 14:56
Hey Blaze, do you go fishing very often? Think I'm going again on Sunday.
FollowupID: 641136

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:55

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:55
Hi Ruth,

I do enjoy fishing the Murray during warmer months, and also surf fishing. will be doing S.A. West Coast later this year, for Salmon, Mullaway and Flathead. But have to admit sitting at the mouth of a river in the Gulf country takes the cake, whether its a 1.2mtr Barra or a Giant Trevally or Queeny's screaming the line out, nothing better.

Last time in the topend I had 110cm Barra spool me out 3 times and on the 2nd to last run I seen only 1 hook from the rear triple holding her just and she was pulling the boat towards the mangroves, so next time along side was net now or bye bye. We got her in. measured weighed and released, what a blast.

Best of luck Sunday, it's pooring with rain down here so no fishing for me.. LOL

FollowupID: 641215

Reply By: Member - A J- Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:04

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:04
Ruth - We will be up in Birdsville to do a short flight over the country, arriving the 26/09 - are you able to obtain your yabbie bait out of the river using traps. The county should look good in the channels after all the flood water. We were through there in 1986 after some rain and it looked good then.

We will be camping on the river and hope to wet a line whilst we are there.

We will fish in the Darling on the way up - and the Coopers and Darling again on the way home.

A nice fish there.

A J
AnswerID: 374051

Sponsored Links