Boat and Bikes?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 16:54
ThreadID: 70522 Views:4139 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We (Wife, 3 tin lids and me) are heading off around OZ in October, just getting organised. The challenging questions are as follows:

How do you carry 5 push bikes on a camper trailer? Especially if there is a boat on top of it.

Is it worth carrying a boat and motor? 11' with 4hp motor.

We have never been a boating family but the camper has the facility to carry it and we see a lot of people with boats when they are travelling.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:09

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:09
Been round the block three times, first time with a boat after that left it at home. Found that we used it only about 6 times in 14 months.
We caught enough fish from banks or off the beach and often there would be someone looking for a deck hand so to speak. When offered I would happily pay for the days fuel and bait as it was worth it to me.
As for bikes, yes they are a fun way for a family to see the local delights in and around many towns. But they are a hastle so you must really want to use them to take them.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 373785

Follow Up By: disco driver - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:45

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:45
Hi Bluerider,

I agree with Dodger, leave the tinny home.

Any of the northern waters that are calm enough to use the tinny in, are home to those big swimming lizards.
Eleven foot tinny gunwales are far to close to the water in those waters.

IMHO an 11ft tinny is too small for any more than 2 people and even then only in inland waters in good conditions. Leave it home.

The weight and space it and the motor take up on the C/T will allow you to carry your bikes instead. they will be much more useful.

Disco.
FollowupID: 640927

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:36

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:36
Hi Dave,

We carry our Kayaks on top of our camper virtually everywhere we go, would be similar to carrying your boat. Our bikes go on the carrier on the rear, it swings out for roadside stops (kitchen on tailgate) very similair to a rear wheel carrier. You can even leave the bikes on when the camper is set up. While only 2 bikes are pictured here, it easily carries 4 bikes, possibly 5 if some were small kids bikes. You can see how much space is still left on the bike "horns".
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 373790

Follow Up By: blueriderwa - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:17

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:17
Thanks for the feedback captain. have you got any pics of that bike carrier without the bikes and even unattached from the trailer. i have been working on building one and that is a similar design. any dimensions you can give me would also be good too.
FollowupID: 640938

Reply By: BMJTI - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:44

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:44
Hey Dave
We are planning to do the same but given we need to take 5 bikes I am opting for a inflatable rather than a tinnie as at the end of the day I think that there are only some areas that I will need to use the boat a lot and in those situations I can just leave it inflated and put it on the trailer. It also will mean that when I am not using it (85% if the overall trip), it will deflate to the size of a carry bag and go in the roof racks or in the trailer and I can have the bikes sit on top of the trailer or behind the stone guard...
You can get some good bike racks that sit on the front or rear of the trailer however my issues was that 5 is a lot of weight hanging out there especially if you plan to go off road...
AnswerID: 373792

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:30

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:30
I always work on the principle that "If you think it might be worth taking.... and don't.... you will be SO ANGRY when you find that you would have used it or needed it."

A bit of a messy principle now that I look at it.

Anyway. Take the bikes.... absolutely.... take the bikes. It is the BEST way to see an area. When you stop to camp... go for a peddle and check out the town or area. My daughter and I explored around Adelaide River with our bikes a few weeks ago, and then rode into Simpson's Gap at Alice Springs.... Yes take them.
Set up a rack right on top of your camper if you can. Maybe have a bar welded up with five bike axles and straps so that they can travel upright.

The boat...

If you have never been a boating family, I reckon that you won't really feel like getting it off and using it. I suggest that you look at a couple of canoes or kayaks.... or as I do, carry an inflatable canoe. I've got a few and they work well!

I'm not happy to use them in croc country, but elsewhere beaut! Let me know if you want to know more.

Have fun. Cheers Royce

AnswerID: 373804

Follow Up By: blueriderwa - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:33

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:33
royce id like to know more about the inflatable canoe. any pics?

cheers
dave
FollowupID: 640943

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:43

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:43
Just checked my pics and can't find any really good ones. The best are Sevylors. Two doubles would do you well. You could even rig up a couple of boards to 'raft' them and fit a small outboard.

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 640946

Sponsored Links