Sleepy B-Double on the Bruce Highway

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:48
ThreadID: 70528 Views:3044 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I got a phone call last night once again for an SES call out, this time it was 1am :(

A D-Double full of perishable goods had gotten sleepy and had decided to lie on it's side about 5km south of Benaraby.

It had blocked part of the north bound lane and the rear trailer was in the tabledrain.

We arrived onsite at about 1:30am to start manually unloading the 40' rear trailer that had goods that were starting to thaw (bulk ice cream etc). All the goods in the trailers were placed into a skip bin and then taken to the landfill.

By 7am we had fully unloaded the rear trailer and the recovery boys had disconnected it from the front trailer. Our relief crew arrived at 7am as well and I got home at 7:30am.

After a quick shower I was back out the door headed for work.
It has been a long day at the office, I haven't moved that much stuff since I worked in a fruit packing shed 15 years ago LOL

The driver walked away from the accident, and was pretty upset as it was his own rig and trailers. Both trailer are a right off, the rig will need a few repairs but I reckon they will be able to get it back on the road.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:52

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:52
Must say Kev you guys are worth your weight in gold. Glad to hear the driver was ok....... Regards Steve
AnswerID: 373794

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:57

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 17:57
I must admitt I was a bit disappointed that all that food was wasted :(

There was bulk ice cream, whole leg hams etc

All went to the tip, after the bad publicity from the accident on the Gateway motorway last week where the truck driver died the Authorities were very strick on all goods to be disposed of to the landfill.

I have no idea what goods were in the front trailer but it was said to be full of frozen goods.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640929

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:17

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:17
I kind of seen this on the news when i was walking past the Tv screen - was this the accident where the truck driver was killed - and there was a commodore seen stopping to fill his car with goods from the truck then took off without seeing if the driver was ok ???

Boc
FollowupID: 640937

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:22

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:22
Yep,

It turned out that the driver did attempt render assistance only to be told everything was under control and the story was made up about goods being stolen:(
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640939

Sponsored Links