Belangelo state forest - anything interesting there ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:19
ThreadID: 70529 Views:2840 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Might take the bike out for a run this weekend ( yes its registered ) had a look in the "places" and there is no description in there as yet ...

Is there any cool places in there -- camping ?? creeks ? English back packers ? ( may be hard to find..... ) cant see much from google earth apart from pine plantation

thanks

Boc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:54

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 18:54
Boc,

Please take a few snaps and a basic description when you are there and load these in places when you get back if you would not mind. Glad you checked in places. I cannot offer much on this place sorry. My advice is to not dig around much in that area.

DM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373806

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:28

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:28
NP - when i get down there i will take some pics - probably wont be from my digital SLR as i don't want to take that on the trail bike with me -- so may be dodgey phone pics !

will leave the shovel and chainsaw at home :)

Boc
FollowupID: 641058

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:07

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:07
I read the heading and thought it may contain a few smart comments on its "History" but after reading Davids bit i was ROFLMAO!!
AnswerID: 373842

Follow Up By: Thumperoo - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:02

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:02
I must admit, to my shame, that i also saw the humour in "Don't dig around"

I wasn't aware that there was a memorial to the backpackers, but i can't bring myself to go anywhere near that place anyway. Gives me the creeps every time i travel to Mittagong and pass that Belangalo sign.
FollowupID: 641080

Reply By: Member - Michael R (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:20

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:20
We went down there last year and it's not a bad spot.

There are a couple of camping spots, one a right hand turn about 3-5klms after you enter, from memory it's sign posted. Drop toilets beside a small dam. Plenty of parking here as a lot of people drive then bike. There's another spot further down if you don't take the right hand turn, bit hard to find, small space and no amenities.

Towards the northern end there are some interesting tracks, head out of the pine forest grid pattern north west and you can find a good few hours riding/driving, some washed out a bit, others needed a bit of low range for about 200m back up to the ridge line. Some of the tracks end up in private property.

The memorial to the backpackers is worth a look and it's quite eerie. We stopped in a dead end side track for lunch one time and found an abandoned humpy as well as a hammer.....

Be careful of the horse riders and also the dog sleds that train there.

Overall, a good spot, probably underutilised due to it's reputation.Well worth a day trip, or a weekend - there's some wineries in the area, or head to Moreton NP from that side.

Cheers,

Michael
AnswerID: 373847

Reply By: poppywhite - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:04

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:04
. Is a pretty and remote area. If you take a shovel there is a lot to find. Do a little search in your fovorit search app for Ivan Milat. Dont dig to deep stay away from piled logs and enjoy your stay in the area.
AnswerID: 373919

Reply By: robertbruce - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 14:23

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 14:23
I stayed there late last year... it is a really nice place...

Have a chat with the bloke in a tweed suit who walks his two great-danes through there eveyday... interesting place
AnswerID: 373937

Sponsored Links