Oziexplorer 3d won't work

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 19:42
ThreadID: 70534 Views:4596 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I’ve recently purchased Oziexplorer 3d and when I try to make the map 3d, no matter what I do, it doesn’t work and comes up with the message:

No height data was found.
Check the elevation configuration to make sure settings are correct.
Make sure you have elevation data available that covers the area.

I’ve tried everything:

It’s a registered version.
I’ve downloaded about 600mb worth of height data (different types) and tried them all.
I’ve tried the ‘Download SRTM Height Data’ option and it still comes up with that message.
I’ve reinstalled it all.
I’ve tried different versions of Oziexplorer
I’ve played around with the height data paths and where I’ve stored them.
I’ve played around with the settings in Elevation Configuration.
I’ve tried different maps from all over Australia.
I’ve tried different brand maps.

I’ve spent hours and hours playing around trying to get it working. Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to get it working?

Thanks everyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:26

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:26
Hi
Difficult problem to fix from a distance. Sounds to me all is right with respect to program installation and what the program is saying is correct...i.e. you don’t have a map that matches the DEM data...or if you do it can’t find it. So maybe give me the name of a map sheet and the SRTM data file you think should work with it and we'll start there. Preferably a map sheet from WA as that’s what I am more likely to have.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373829

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:51

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:51
I’ve tried the Auslig SH5014 map (the one that covers Perth).

I clicked the ‘Download SRTM Height Data (world 3 Sec)’ button and downloaded the elevation data below:

S33E115
S33E116
S32E115
S32E116

I then tried to make it 3d, it came up with the same message.

Thanks for your help
FollowupID: 640998

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:01

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:01
Have you unzipped the files? File extension should be hgt.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641002

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:02

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:02
Sorry missed you response to following post....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641003

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:40

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:40
Just another thought, just to check you have same files I have

eg - S33E115.hgt

My file is 2,818 Kb in size - how big is yours (if you dont mind me asking)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641012

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:55

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:55
2 things:

a. Like you've just pointed out to me, Ozi Explorer doesn't want to download files by itself with problems with the websites.

b. When I manually downloaded the DEM data for all of Australia (I selected all of Australia), it didn't come up with this one anyway, I'm thinking that it downloaded other areas of the world, none say S3......., they say S2.......,

I've still got the Globe data and the Nima NGA NIMA DTED data, the program won't pick them up either.

Can you give me instructions on how to manually download the DEM data, something must have gone wrong when I tried to download it. Victoria's the most important and the 1st one I need is S38E145.

Thanks
FollowupID: 641017

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:00

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:00
found a link that seems to work

S38E145.hgt.zip

see how you go

Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641019

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:08

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:08
Just tried that, had my fingers crossed, didn't work.

I unzipped it into the DEM folder I've got.

The USA DEM 250 and USA DEM 24k options are linked to this folder, I tried with 250 ticked, didn't work, 24k ticked, didn't work, both ticked, didn't work.
FollowupID: 641023

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:16

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:16
You have to use the Globe(arcview) box ... Laurie mentioned this before. Try that. Change the path to reflect location of the file you have downloaded and unzipped.

Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641028

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:23

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:23
Yep it came up, you've all made my day.

I work at a pub and if you were here, I'd give you a Jim Beam on the house and introduce you to the chef when you're hungry.

Just one thing, that link you gave me, explain how I get to that part of that website to download data for all of Australia or at least Victoria?

Thanks
FollowupID: 641031

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:23

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:23
PS all australia here

DEM data

Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641032

Reply By: Zebra400 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:30

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:30
OK, so something is set wrong. It is just a question of finding out which bit.

First thing, is your version of OziExplorer version 3.95.3a or later as it is required to read SRTM data. Older versions of OziExplorer will not detect SRTM data.

The files you downloaded need a program called oziUnGzip.exe which is supplied with OziExplorer3D. I assume you have done this.

Your extracted files should have the extension .hgt. You then have to place the uncompressed files in the "Globe (Arcview)" Elevation Data folder.

OziExplorer must then be configured to use SRTM data by configuring the use of Globe Data in Elevation Configuration.

If you have got to this stage, then let me know and we will move on to the next step.

Laurie

AnswerID: 373830

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:47

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:47
Yep done all that, I've lost count of the number of times I've checked that.

I've tried the 3.95.3a version and I've tried the 3.96.3b version that I found, none of them work.
FollowupID: 640994

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:10

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:10
So what settings have you put in the Elevation Configuration file under System & DEM File Paths?

BTW, did you place a tick in the Active box for the DEM Data you installed?

Laurie
FollowupID: 641004

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:25

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:25
Yes I've placed a tick for all of them and I've tried playing around with the ticks not having the ones ticked that have got nothing in them.

I've got the paths to an elevation data folder in My Documents, all the different types of data stored in their own folders.

I've tried storing all the elevation data files in the one folder, didn't work.

I've tried storing them in the default folders Ozi Explorer has (the ones it has immediately after you install it), didn't work.

I've manually downloaded DEM Data of all of Australia, Globe data of all of Australia and NGA (NIMA) DTED data of all of Australia and like I say, I've tried to get Ozi Explorer to download data itself.
FollowupID: 641009

Reply By: bucky00 - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:14

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:14
One thing everyone, when I manually download elevation data, I unzip it immediately (I've tried with the Ozi Explorer unzip software included and WinRAR zip software).

When I get Ozi Explorer to download it with the 'Download SRTM height Data' button, do I still need to unzip it myself or not?

Also, I just got Ozi Explorer to download the S33E115 elevation data file and then I did a windows search to try and find where it's stored and windows couldn't find it anywhere.

Is there something wrong or is it downloaded in some fancy way?

If it is meant to be properly saved onto my hard drive, where abouts?
AnswerID: 373844

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:33

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:33
"When I get Ozi Explorer to download it with the 'Download SRTM height Data' button, do I still need to unzip it myself or not? "

Yes - you have to unzip it - you will see in the download list the file names which all end in *.zip. A major clue that a file is zipped.

"Is there something wrong or is it downloaded in some fancy way? "

Actually I think the NASA server is down. I was trying to have a look the other day and couldnt connect. Using OE just now its says "download complete" (to C:/Temp/Australia) but no files have been downloaded. Looks like probelm is external. There is apparently new 1 sec data available now/soon so maybe they have closed down the server for this reason????

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641010

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:17

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:17
While we are on the subject new higher resolution DEM data for auatralia is now available. Read about it here

METI and NASA Release the ASTER Global DEM

No idea if it works as it impossible to download a file to try...

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373861

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:59

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:59
Hey Bucky, 42 minutes on here and your problem solved by competent people.
Better than having 'a friend in the trade'. I guess this is typical of what the people on this site have to offer... rapid, friendly responses and information. Great work fellas.
Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 373874

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:37

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:37
I must admit I had given up trying to get the 3D aspect of Ozi working. Now I will have to troll through all thats written here and have another go. You guys really are awesome and very knowlegable. One person asks a question, and multitudes learn from it.

I've stayed out of it (the thread) so far, as I didn't want to hijack the thread; but I too, say thanks, especially to bucky, who initiated the thread.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373922

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 13:59

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 13:59
Hello again

Contacted Ozi development crew regarding the problem with the automatic 3D data download (SRTM 3 sec) not working. They have fixed the issue and now it should work as normal. You have to download and install the current version of Ozi again (V3.95.4s) to get it to work.

OziExplorer will identify what SRTM files you need to download for the map you have loaded (the tile relevant to bit shown in screen that is) and unzip them for you. The files are downloaded to whatever folder you have selected in DEM file paths for Globe (Arcview).

If the download terminates keep trying.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 374062

Sponsored Links