How about a surf

Submitted: Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 18:22
ThreadID: 7054 Views:1917 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
OK,
I still like Jackaroo's, but, parts are expensive. I would like to hear from Toyota Surf owners on topics such as, availability and price of parts, reliability etc.
I am interested in the 3l turbo diesel,do they come with a 5 speed manual box?
Cheers
ROO
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:15

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:15
Surfs are a full import , parts are hard to get , insurance is through the roof , and resale isnt the best
AnswerID: 30233

Follow Up By: CC - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 23:40

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 23:40
Eric,

Do you own a Surf yourself ? If you don't, let me tell you ...

I own an 185 series Hilux Surf

1. The engine is 1KZ-TE w/Intercooler - the same as the 95 series Prado and the current 120 series Prado (except the 120 series has electronic throttle);

2. Auto Transmission is A340F, same as 95 series Prado;

3. Chassis and suspension is same as the 95 series, with some minor differences (e.g. my Surf has adjustable NORMAL/HARD electronic suspension built-in to the strut at the front; while the 95 series has a sub-tank at the rear and there are some extra support elements for it), basically all the springs and shocks applicable to the 95 series, the 185 series will fit. The 185 series is about 100-150 Kg lighter than the 95 series Prado;

4. Parts - many Toyota dealers, I know of at least 2 in Melb (I've only rung 2 so far and they both do), have electronic catalogues that cover Japanese models, and they are happy to quote and sell you parts. Many mechanical parts are the same as 95 series Prado anyway. I recently had to replace the rear bar cover for my Surf, a dealer in Melb had it in stock ! If you don't want genuine new parts, you can buy after-market parts from SSS, genuine 2nd-hand from wreckers ...

5. Insurance - I paid $800 or something for comprehensive as a rating 1 driver with 60% no claim bonus, some Surf owners pay even less, and I'm going to shop around to get a better deal when I renew;

6. Resale value - I don't know yet, do you ? But most Surf owners are very happy with their 4WD.

7. Other accessories : you can fit Safari Snorkels, TJM bull bars, ARB diff locks, LongRange fuel tank, etc

8. CD/Radio : I ditched the Japanese sat nav and put a stereo straight from another Toyota to replace it. Just plugged it in. When I push the button the aerial goes up automatically ...

My 185 Surf runs very well and no trouble whatsoever.

I bet you probably don't own a Surf, do you ? So if you're not sure, leave it to others to comment.

Have a nice day.

CC
FollowupID: 21288

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 07:32

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 07:32
You are right on there , i dont know anything . Since i have only imported 20 or so or them , And I guess you also had to comply your own surf also ,

I will say this though . Parts are easier than 2 years ago to get now ,But not all components are available . You will come across components that you think will be the same as a hilux or prado , but won't fit . If you are a mechanicly minded person , you will always improvise .

As far as insurance is concered , if you tell me that it costs the same to insure a surf and a hilux , then your a dreamer . If think $800 for insurance for a car thats under $20,000 is cheap on rating 1 , then good luck .

When people ask a question on this forum, they receice coments , for and against on any particular vehicle . Everyone here , will add there experience in a vehicle . At the end of the day , they will decide if it suits there needs .

So just because you own a surf , dont get on a hi horse and think we are here to bag your vehicle .

What would have been a nicer post , would have been ,you just telling us your experience with your surf , point would have been taken and respected.
FollowupID: 21293

Follow Up By: CC - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:50

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:50
The agreed value of the insurance was for A$30,000 instead of "under $20,000".
FollowupID: 21298

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 10:07

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 10:07
the GTSt R33 skylines I brought in for 17 k were also insure for 30 k , hade a few friends with insurance fron just car insurance and unique insurance , made a claim for a accident that was there fault , hey guess what ! sorry sir we can only re insure you for 2 k
FollowupID: 21299

Reply By: Tuco69 - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:51

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:51
I have a '95 KZN-130W (1KZ-TE 3 litre) with the 5 speed manual gearbox.

I haven't had any problems sourcing parts as yet, although I believe that there are some 'grey import' unfriendly Toyota dealerships. The dealer here in Cairns is 'Surf' friendly and is helpfull with regard to obtaining specific parts. Consumables like fuel filters, oil filters, belts, hoses are readily available as the 1KZ-TE is also fitted to current Prado and Hilux models.
I have changed a water pump ($120) and also timing belt ($43) and both were available 'off the shelf' at the local Toyota dealer.
The genuine air filter element is a 'surf' specific fitment and usually takes one day to get.
Brakes, suspension and driveline are the same as the VZN-130 4Runner. Body parts are also the same with the exception of the 'Moonroof' and also rear lower tailgate - if the Surf has a rear mounted spare. Window glass is also a different shade of tint on the Japanese models - but the glass will fit anyway if aftermarket tint film is used.
I pay around $420 per year for full comprehensive insurance - but will admit that the number of companies who will insure 'grey' imports is limited. I have a house/contents, and 2 other vehicles insured with the same company.

Tuco
AnswerID: 30235

Reply By: geoff - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 20:16

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 20:16
Hi Roo,
I don't own a surf but I work with a mate that has the 3L diesel and he is very happy with it but he had trouble getting insurance for it because it was an import also it is heavy on fuel alot heavier then my jackaroo.

Regards geoff
AnswerID: 30275

Sponsored Links