Walkers Crossing - Innamincka to Birdsville - current conditions

Submitted: Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:26
ThreadID: 70549 Views:3053 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
g'day all

I'm off on the road to Birdsville next week. I'm aware there were a couple of threads on the track conditions of Walkers Crossing a couple of weeks ago, & have checked the road conditions report.

I'm just wondering if anyone has driven the track in the last couple of weeks & has any advice on its current conditions.

I'll be driving a t/d Prado & towing a Kimberley Karavan. If you see us about say g'day

Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:47

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:47
The road is a breeze. Even looks like it is maintained a bit. A suggestion or two though. Be careful following the signs. The road now passes Moomba on the western side. We were there 4 weeks ago and missed the sign and found ourselves wandering around Santos roads. Also, camping at the actual crossing is not great. Have fun.
AnswerID: 373898

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 13:10

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 13:10
Howdy There 10 days ago

The 15 mile track out of Innamincka has a bit of sand on it.

Roads quite good.

There seems to be a lack of signs. If in any doubt go left.
Where the 15 mile road hits the Moomba Walkers Crossing road there is mobile phone range

If you end up gong through the Santos area where it says "are you booked in" keep on going then Take left hand turn to fly lake & you are on the right track.
Take no track where it says no public access.
Walkers Crossing has no water going over.

If you should end up at a water crossing turn back as it is bloody deep ( I can vouch for it) & takes you over to the Coongee Lake, Innamincka road. (

When you cross over from Walkers Crossing go right.

Daz
AnswerID: 373933

Reply By: Member - Graham S1 (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 09:01

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 09:01
Thanks guys for your helpful comments

Graham
AnswerID: 374028

Sponsored Links