X-Trail

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 14:31
ThreadID: 7064 Views:3431 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the market for an X-Trail and would like to here from anyone who has one or has had experience with one. I actually intend to use it off road however do not expect it to do what my Patrol used to. I will be putting more agressive tyre on it from new as this seems to be a major weakness. I am thinking of going auto as with no low range I figure the torque converter should help. Your comments please.

Regards,

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 14:39

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 14:39
have you looked at the st-r range including lights on rack and a rack with some other things hust seen on looks ok too.
must be ok if they are the current top selling soft roader ,
have heard issues in sand but only second hand info .
good luck1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 30262

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 17:21

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 17:21
Saw heaps of them on Fraser Is all over the place to don't think sand is a big drama with them, seem like a neat softy

Go hard and get even!So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 21309

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:13

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:13
i remember when they first come out they had problems with the autos in the sand.the auto would over heat and then stop working till it cooled down now wouldnt that be fun when the tides coming in.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 21337

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:22

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:22
Jimbo

My dealer lent me one while the Patrol had its last service. I only drove it for the day, nothing off road, but loved it.

Very smooth, even power delivery and packed a bit of punch.

It was the manual.

The only thing I found I didn't like was looking off to the left to look at the guages...."WHY" was the question that came to mind.

For the day I had it...........I give it a 8/10

cheers
AnswerID: 30281

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:32

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:32
Hi Jimbo:
Friend of mine has just bought one and I drove it most of the way up and back to Coffs Harbour around 2 weeks ago. All highways, naturally, but it went exceptionally well (esp after my 80 Series Diesel).
Nicely appointed, got used to the gauge placement fairly easily. His was a manual and gave no trouble at all.
It obviously felt a little "light" after my beast, but I think even the latest Landcruisers feel much the same.
I loved it. But as I tend to bash my 80 Series about a bit I would not be comfortable giving it too much rough treatment. The X-Trail seems a good vehicle for a spin up to Fraser Island and other less demanding trips I should think. I would worry about taking it to Cape York or some of the more "serious" destinations.
Their current television advertisement is probably "overstated", but Nissan make good stuff (despite me owning a Toyota) and I think for the majority of cases it would be very adequate. Only other observation was that it was a bit down on carrying/sotreage space compared to what I am used to.
Hope this gives you something to consider.
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30283

Reply By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 22:58

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 22:58
if very soft off road is your plan , then you cant go wrong , if you intend on takling some hill , check out the pathfinder , at least it has low rang

Good luck
AnswerID: 30291

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 23:34

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 23:34
Jimbo if you are considering no low range then you mustn't be planning any off road work so I think it'll be well suited to you. Storage, fuel tank size, economy etc are important considerations but vary from person to person and only you know what suits you in those areas. It wouldn't suit me as I want to carry a fair bit of camping gear and travel long distances without the need for jerries. I also want to go off road - chose a TD Prado. One other thought - there are frequent bad reports about Nissans on this forum and it seems that many owners have problems with them. Just a consideration - one that would make me very wary!
AnswerID: 30294

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 11:33

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 11:33
I know it's nice to try something different ! but why not the tried and tested 'formular' - Subaru Forester (no bias here !)

My choice would be an auto XT (turbo) the XT has the same ride height etc as the other Foresters and WRX power (yum) - fit some A/T tyres and a sump guard and suprise the 'bigguns'.

Check out any of the Subaru Club websites (all states) to see where they go.

happy hunting.Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 30318

Follow Up By: Martin - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:26

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:26
Hello Colin I'm a Subaru fan as my son had one as his first car. Very well built and reliable. His had low range too! I followed your suggestion and did a searched for clubs. The first I found had pics of a Simpson Desert trip. Had to grin at the line up pic with a toyota or Patrol ute in the lead!!!!!!!! Recovery vehicle or just used to carry the heavy stuff? Simpson and similar trips aren't really suited to Subarus! Size may not be everything but it sure is useful!!
FollowupID: 21400

Follow Up By: Martin - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:35

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:35
Just looked at the Canning Stock route pics on Subaru site and the first two vehicles and I suspect many more are proper 4wds. Colin do any Subarus go on these trips?
FollowupID: 21402

Follow Up By: Martin - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:42

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:42
Just checked out a few more of the Subaru albums Colin, great pics but none are off road - just gravel roads.
FollowupID: 21404

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:43

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:43
Truckster (vic) your comments are really helpful !

Martin
"great pics but none are off road - just gravel roads." - that phrase 'off road' confuses everyone! When your in a 'real 4WD' on a gravel road your 'off road' ? - but in a 'unreal 4WD' it's "just a gravel road"!

Anyway, for the non believers - stay posted - I am preparing some shots of Subarus 'off road'.
CSR - Hanging Rock - Rudal NP - Coffin Bay etc.
FollowupID: 21427

Follow Up By: Martin - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 23:31

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 23:31
Hello Colin,
I'll just try to sort out your confusion. A gravel road is a road. Therefore if you are ON a gravel you are not OFF road. When you are on a track (high country fire access tracks or tracks across a desert like the Simpson for example, you are not ON a road so you are OFF road. Get it? It's all a matter of being either ON or OFF a road. My comments were simply that the pics of Subarus on the Subaru web site only showed them on gravel roads. I'm sure they can go OFF roads - that's why they have the big 4wd there - to help them get back ON road!!
FollowupID: 21679

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:26

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:26
Apart from the fact there are zero aftermarket accessories available, I think you could do better with a HT Holden.
AnswerID: 30381

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:50

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:50
Jimbo,
Have a look at page 29 of the Oct issue of 4x4 Australia. A warning about X-Trails, have a read, then have a look and decide.
CheersShe just didn't quite make it home
AnswerID: 30538

Sponsored Links