Help with vehicle selection.

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 15:02
ThreadID: 7066 Views:1473 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My father is looking at a 96 model Ssang yong Musso. 120 k on the clock Turbo/intercooled diesel etc $18k.

Has anyone had any experience with these vehicles or
know anything aboult them as info is difficult to locae on the net.

All he wants to do is the odd drive on the beach and tow a small van from time to time.

I have only ever hav Troop carriers for the last 20 years and hve little knowlege of other vehicles.

Thanks guys..

Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Zapper - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:31

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:31
Dont let him do it to himself. Have two friends with Mussos. Both have had major gearbox problems and clutch failures at low kms. One has has had major electrical problems also and the other a complete engine replacement under warranty. They were both petrols however, but the issues will be the same with diesel.

They are cheap in the 2nd hand yards for a reason. Go a patrol or landcruiser.
AnswerID: 30282

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:51

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 21:51
Thanks ,I will pass the info on.
AnswerID: 30285

Reply By: Martin - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 23:23

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 23:23
Friend with one is happy except for many "little niggly things". He wasn't very specific but I think they come under the heading of "Fit and Finish".
AnswerID: 30292

Reply By: maxhb - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:26

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:26
There is nothing that goes wrong here that doesnt happen to other makes and that includes Patrols of this era as I too could cite friends who have had ridiculous problems with their vehicles. I can only speak mostly from the petrol 3200 161KW PRE Daewoo version/ experience ie pre 1998, as after this when daewoo took over from Mercedes they removed enhancements to make it more affordable and compete with jeep etc. To get a truer reflection of the diesel then go to http://com2.akheva.com/bssangyongownersclub. I do know from experience that the manual which is not a mercedes part (the auto is merc up until the daewoo touch) is rather notchy/tight but the diesel did achieve the best fuel economy from melb to brisbane. This report I think is available at the drive smh site. As for a vehicle which will mostly travel the suburban roads and go into the bush now and then I can vouch for musso but if he is after something to tackle the bush in a big way then go landcruiser.
AnswerID: 30528

Follow Up By: Brett - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 18:15

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 18:15
Thanks very much Max.

I personally think he would be better looking at something a little "mainstream".
I think the later models of the Musso would be a reasonable buy but earlier models may run out of spares support or be costly due to the change of dealerships etc

Having said all of that, It is his choice and not mine so I will pass on all information and allow him to make up his own mind (with a little bit of help from Exploroz)

Brett
FollowupID: 21948

Sponsored Links