My Wiring Diagram. What do you think?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 00:19
ThreadID: 70686 Views:20145 Replies:7 FollowUps:53
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Just finishing off the wiring in my van (we leave to spend a few years on the road in 17 days!). I have run all cables to the front boot. The circuit I have at the moment are:
1. LED Lighting and CD Player: Consisting of 4 12v 36 LED Globes in roof lights and 2 12v LED reading lamps and a cd player.
2. ShureFlo water pump
3. 12v Range hood and 12v outlet socket
4. 12v/240v 100lt upright Engel compressor fridge.

I have:
-2 80w sharp solar panels.
-14.4v 30 amp 4 stage charger
-600w inverter
-Steca 20amp solar reg
-2 100 a/h AGM's
-Blue Sea Fuse Panel Blue Sea 5026

All the wiring from battery's to common positive and negative points will be 25mm2.

All items other than the solar panels will be mounted in the front boot.

Will this work ok?Image Could Not Be Found

Any criticism constructive or otherwise greatly accepted. Will post some photos of it all finished this weekend.

Thanks

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 01:35

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 01:35
Hi Matt,

I have sent you an email as each time I try to put an drawing into a reply it buggers up.
Consequently no drawing !!!
You may be able to put it into a thread so other people can see it.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 374577

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:16

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:16
Tony,

Thanks for your email. What program do I need to open your attachment? it comes out as a .vsd file?

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641823

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:27

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:27
Good morning Matt
The program is Microsoft Visio.
If you still cannot open it I will try something else.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641831

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:28

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:28
Good morning Matt
The program is Microsoft Visio.
If you still cannot open it I will try something else.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641833

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:38

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:38
Tony,

I dont suppose you could print it from Visio into a pdf and try emailing that for me? Or even a jpeg.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641836

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:41

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:41
Matt just changed it to jpeg.
Will email it.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641837

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 16:28
Matt

Did you get the email?

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641877

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:36
Hooray finally made it work!! I hope.

My caravan's wiring diagram.
The original of this was taken from Plasmatronic's website and modified to suit my van.

Image Could Not Be Found
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641894

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:34
Hi Tony

Good diagram.

Yes the shunt makes things easier.

You just need a fuse on the vehicle circuit.

Why does your fridge by-pass the shunt ?

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 641928

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 22:43

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 22:43
Hi Derek
There is a fuse in the positive side of the main circuit. Just after the main battery. Sorry cannot remember the exact amperage. 25 or 30 I think.

The fridge lives right next door to the battery - less wire to run. It has a 20 amp fuse in the positive line. The 12 volt element is 175 watt. On a 35 degree day the element holds the fridge around 2 degrees while travelling. No bull.
At present I am trying to work out how to connect it to the thermostat as under 28 degrees the lettuce etc.... is part frozen.
The Dept. of War aint happy.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641957

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:13

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:13
Hi Tony

As current can flow in both directions you must protect the car from the caravan too so fit a 30A or 50A breaker at both ends of the charge cable.

There are cheap air-conditioning thermostats for automotive use that can be used on your fridge. Just place the probe near the lettuce :-)

Regards

Derek from ABR

FollowupID: 641959

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:41

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:41
Yes have got Derek.
I have been trying to remember what I had in line and for the life of me couldn't. I believe these days it is called C.R.A.F.T. Any way, after I sent the follow up I went out to have a look and it is a 30 amp breaker on the positive wire.

Aarrr must have a look for one must be easier than going into the main thermostat.

Thanks Derek

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641966

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jul 17, 2009 at 03:20

Friday, Jul 17, 2009 at 03:20
Is there a fuse between 240v battery charger and battery, of course not.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642175

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Friday, Jul 17, 2009 at 23:42

Friday, Jul 17, 2009 at 23:42
Yes Mainey the "Smart" 240v charger has fuse protection.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 642281

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:53

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:53
Then I will RE-type it out, a bit slower and put in every word, just to keep it 'relevant' to what we are actually talking about, so there is no confusion.

Re ALL posts in this thread:
we are talking about a 'fuse' in the (+) CABLE that has been added BETWEEN the charger and the battery.

Please read all the posts carefully and stay on track, because it's accepted and actually shown here, there definitely are fuse's INSIDE the actual battery charger.

However that's NOT what post: "Follow-up 12 of 13" is referring to.

I have clearly asked:
"Is there a fuse *BETWEEN* the 240v battery charger *AND* the battery" ??

Even Follow-Up 7 of 13 above shows NO fuse in the actual (+) CABLE.

(unfortunately spell-check can't fix bad communication of thought)

Maîneÿ . . .

FollowupID: 642304

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:51

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:51
But Maîneÿ…* check-out how SÔLAR PÔWER™ & :3 Vølt Batteries can work *

Many battery chargers are not even supplied with the DC cables only terminals.

The installer will fit / make these cables. (You refer to ADDED)

The manufacturer has provided protection up to the exit point of DC power on the charger. (Cables fitted or not).

In many cases installers will fit a 2nd fuse to the output providing the double fusing that you are asking for.

Perhaps we should triple fuse…..

1x Inside the charger
1x Outside the charger
1x Where the charger connects to the battery

Perhaps we can also fit a fuse to the fuse ;-)

I think we are all on track but perhaps not yours.

FollowupID: 642308

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 14:19

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 14:19
Mainey.
I know what you were talking about.
I stated there were fuses in the charger.
Maybe I should have also stated that was the reason for none being in the line.
Also, maybe I should have stated that while I had it apart checking it I installed an extra fuse in the positive line of the charger -- accessable from outside.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 642331

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 21:05

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 21:05
Tony,
yes, you and I believe any person with even a small portion of common sense, understands you don't need to add any extra external fuse's in the (+) cable from a battery charger to the battery.
I will bet every battery charger made has internal fuse's fitted to comply with legal requirements, whether they have the battery cables attached internally by the manufacturer, or the charger has the external cable terminals attached is not relevant, because the battery charger electronics are protected by a fuse on both the 'in-put' and 'out-put' circuits, just as Derek has clearly shown in his picture and indicated on the 2 diagrams previously posted in this thread.

Derek,
As to your statement:
" The installer will fit / make these cables. (You refer to ADDED) "

What I've posted in English (with Spell check) is:
"Re ALL posts in this thread:
we are talking about a 'fuse' in the (+) CABLE that has been added BETWEEN the charger and the battery"

What that clearly means is:

"we are talking about a *fuse* . . . "
this *fuse* has been added - NOT the cables, because you can't "talk about a fuse" if there are no cables there to connect the fuse to - can you ?

. . . reason being: the cables have to be there first
. . . the fuse can't be added *with-out* the cables - can it ?

Derek, you say: "In many cases installers will fit a 2nd fuse to the output providing the double fusing that you are asking for"

Derek, I'm DEFINATELY NOT asking for a second fuse at all, please get your facts correct, my diagram clearly shows NO FUSE in the actual battery charger cable, neither does Tony's diagram, because I'm aware ALL battery chargers are fused by the manufacturer and requires no further fuse, not a 2nd or even a 3rd.

Derek, please attempt to maintain the integrity of the thread by not attempting to change what other people are posting, we all know you don't need extra fuses so why you suggest you may need 2 or even 3 or more fuse's is unbelievable to me.

ps Derek, please learn how to 'copy' peoples posts correctly
no mine are not copy righted, but neither are yours either :)

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642378

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 22:57

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 22:57

Ahh... Now we are getting somewhere.

So what happens if the cable between the battery and the charger goes to ground ?

I DO recommend the charger be fused at the battery or fuse box in FIXED installations. This is because the cable has live battery power enough to start an engine (or fire) all the way up to the charger. Always mount fuses close to the battery and use a master fuse if needed.

Not trying to change what other people are posting just trying to make sure they have the right advice from someone who knows.

FollowupID: 642404

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 01:16

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 01:16
Derek, you have *changed* what I've said . . . again

. . . . now your claiming it's a FIXED connection

* I've never stated it's FIXED, please read the entire thread carefully *

Who the hell needs a fixed 240v battery charger installed when they have a decent Solar power system ?

Yes, in a FIXED system you may need a fuse, BUT with 'normal' Alligator clips on a 240v battery charger, you simply leave them disconnected, then you can connect them to *what-ever battery* you need to charge, not just the battery it's connected to, but also friends Aux batteries and Cranking batteries too - if you have 240v available?

Carrying the dead weight and using space for a 240v battery charger makes no sense, as there's no 240v available in the bush where the Solar system will not allow the Aux battery system to need any extra charging anyway.

Funny thing is, you NEVER advised Tony to ADD a fuse in the (+) battery charger cable in his diagram :-)

Can you please explain why Tony obviously does NOT need an extra fuse in his (+) battery charger cable ??

You posted: "You just need a fuse on the vehicle circuit"

Derek can you please explain why Tony's 240v battery charger (+) cable does NOT need a fuse, or does the answer totally screw up your argument ?

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642413

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 09:41

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 09:41
Matt's drawing shows 25mm2 cable and 100A fuses protecting it.

I am happy with that !

Perhaps you overlooked that part of the circuit.
FollowupID: 642420

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:01

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:01
Derek,
your having a bad run, read what I posted please, and don't keep changing things, just to suit you

I clearly asked:

"Derek can you please explain why *Tony's* 240v battery charger (+) cable does NOT need a fuse, or does the answer totally screw up your argument ? "
You posted: "You just need a fuse on the vehicle circuit" on TONY'S diagram

That has nothing to do with "Matt's drawing shows 25mm2 cable and 100A fuses protecting it" does it?

Two different diagrams from two different guys.

Why not answer direct questions put to you with the truth ??

I ask again:
Funny thing is, you NEVER advised *Tony* to ADD a fuse in the (+) battery charger cable in his diagram :-)

Can you please explain why *Tony* obviously does NOT need an extra fuse in his (+) battery charger cable ??

Derek can you please explain why *Tony's* 240v battery charger (+) cable does NOT need a fuse?

Obviously your answer will totally screw up your argument ?

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642425

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:10

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:10
"Matt's drawing shows 25mm2 cable and 100A fuses protecting it.

I am happy with that !

Perhaps you overlooked that part of the circuit. "

Have a look at the circuit again !!!!

FollowupID: 642426

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:18

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:18
Follow-up 7 of 21
Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 16:36
Member - Tony S (WA) posted:

Derek this is the post and picture I'm referring to
please don't get confused and keep talking about something not relevant.

I will ask you again:
Funny thing is, you NEVER advised *Tony* to ADD a fuse in the (+) battery charger cable in his diagram :-)

Can you please explain why *Tony* obviously does NOT need an extra fuse in his (+) battery charger cable ??

Derek,
can you please explain why *Tony's* 240v battery charger (+) cable does NOT need a fuse?

Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642427

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:32

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:32
I am referring to Matt's drawing.

Tony's drawing and proportions showing the position of the shunt and battery in relation to the charger would indicate that the battery and charger are situated very close to each other. Yes if there is a distance of cable it should be fused.

FollowupID: 642430

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:00

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:00
"Follow-up 7 of 21"
Derek this is the post and picture I'm referring to

Now you say: "Yes if there is a distance of cable it should be fused"

please tell us what this distance is ?
is it in excess of or less than 100cms ?

Who, or what mathematical formula dictates the length of the cable can be used before an external fuse must be installed in the cable ?

Tony's drawing is a schematic diagram, as is also stated under my diagram, the length of the 'red line' is not relevant to the actual length of the (+) cable required, but placed there so it goes from each device picture clearly and showing the connection between each device.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642432

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:44

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:44
I recommend the 7-40-72 rule on DC loads.

Fuses or breakers are required within 18cm (7") of the battery switch on wires leading to various loads, the 18cm (7") dimension can be extended to 101cm (40") if wires are enclosed in a sheath or conduit in addition to the wire primary insulation, and within 183cm (72") on wires leading to loads directly from a battery.

FollowupID: 642438

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 17:56

Sunday, Jul 19, 2009 at 17:56
Derek,

? ? ? NOW for some HUMOUR ? ??

I presently don't have a 'train drivers license' either
Image Could Not Be Foundnow we are on the same track
as to what track isn't relevant

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 642473

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:01

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:01
Matt,
*I believe the 100 Amp circuit breakers protecting each battery are probably rated too high, do you run anything that will draw ~100 Amps ?
or draw ~100 Amps in total, when they are running simultaneously ?

*I would attach the Battery Charger to an individual circuit, not share it with the inverter.

*As you have the Inverter running from a separate circuit to the Solar controller the battery SOC will not be accurate when using the Inverter and taking power from the battery system, this is not a major concern if the inverter is not used too often or the battery is being charged simultaneously or fully charged immediately afterwards.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 374595

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:28

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:28
Thanks Mainey,

1. The most power hungry item I have is the inverter. It will rarely be used. Mainly for charging laptop, camera and phone batteries. The only reason that I went for the 100amp circuit breakers was that as both batteries will be permanently in Parallel. The inverter is 600w normal and 1200w peak. 1200/12 = 100amps. Am I being over ambitious here? Should I go for 50 amps instead?

2. The Battery charger and inverter were both going to be attached to a common positive terminal. I agree that my drawing is pretty average. What I planned to do was have all the positives to a common positive point and all the negatives to a common earth point.

3. Can I run the inverter through the Solar controller? I thought that if I could keep the wire short and straight to the battery's it would stop as much voltage drop as possible.
If I could run the inverter through the solar regulator that would be better.

Cheers

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641825

Reply By: Member - Clay S (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:40

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:40
Hi Matt,
I like your set up and what your trying to do however I think you need to rewire your +ve. The problem is you could hypothetically get a fault in any of your load items eg the inverter and they could suck 90A x 2 = 180A and well and truly start a fire. For a good guide set the battery fuse/breaker to a usual size you commonly see in factory installations for that type eg my 70AHr has a 60A fuse. Then as an idea pick up an old fuse box for a fiver from a wreckers - look for one where you can get to the fuse terminals, and mount this with as short a lead as possible near the battery or if the battery is in in enclosure outside the enclosure but next to it (spark risk). Then research the recommended fuse size for all your devices and wire them of that fuse size in the fuse box. Note that going downstream you should have smaller fuses. E.g. my weaco has a 10A fuse inside it so use a 15A in the box. If there is no fuse in the device go to the manufacturers website or look in the user manual - its usually pretty easy to discover fuse recommendation's. The end goal is to get a short battery lead fused at xxAmps going the the fuse box with all devices on wires fused at the recommended amps. Lastly, considering the time you are planning to spend on the read and possibly isolated it would be cheap insurance to get a qualified auto sparky to look over the whole set-up and give you the thumbs up! Happy travels.
ps. Always have a generous mixed bag of fuses and wire in your kit - it can come in very handy at the most unexpected times!
AnswerID: 374603

Follow Up By: tim_c - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:35

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:35
That seems like sound advice, Clay - similar to the way the car is wired: a fusible link on the main wire from the +ve battery terminal running to a fuse box where each circuit is split and fused according to power requirements.

It appears to be what Matt has in mind with his fuse box over on the RHS of the diagram combined with the circuit breakers on each battery. Perhaps you are suggesting he just needs to connect the invertor to that fuse box as well?

The only other comment I would make is that if my understanding of solar controllers is correct (solar controllers only control voltage so you don't boil your batteries) there appears to be no fault protection on the output of the solar panels - should this have a breaker or fuse or does the solar controller have inbuilt protection against faults/shortcircuits down the line?
FollowupID: 641835

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:58

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:58
AnswerID: 374612

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:15

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:15
Thanks Mainey,

So AGM A And B are still directly linked. This is pretty much what I was trying to Draw. You have just done it a lot better. The battery charger will still charge both a and b agms and the inverter will draw off both.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641843

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:32

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:32
Matt,
Yes, the Solar system charges the two batteries and also powers the Accessories direct, while it's producing power, only the excess current required by the accessories is taken from the batteries, so they are usually still fully charged at end of day to run accessories at night and then be recharged again next morning.

I would suggest you add a four point power board (with individual on/off switchs) to the Inverter, to charge many items similtaneously, rather than charge them one at a time.

I use a 50 Amp ceramic fuse to my fridge and all the rest run on various size fuses, max 30 Amp, the inverter runs direct (I know it's not recomended - do as I say - not as I do) it has an internal fuse and auto disconnect for overload situations.

The batteries both share the same load.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641846

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 17:48
Nice diagram Maîneÿ

Thanks

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 641884

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:11

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:11
Pete,
thank you, it takes just a bit longer than writing about it and then have some-one misunderstand the information contained with-in the post.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641888

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:28
Th wiring to the battery Charger and Inverter are a fire hazard as there is no protection - if these wires short to ground there be burning plastic and red-hot copper flying everywhere.

Car-size batteries are dangerous sources of power - a breaker or Fuse must be placed as close as possible to the Positive Terminal.
FollowupID: 641892

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:59
Mike,
do you use a fuse in your battery charger cables ??

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641900

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:02

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:02
In the last thirty years I've never needed the benefits of a seatbelt - but every time I get the car I put it on.

Yes, I fuse every connection to a battery.
FollowupID: 641903

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:30

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:30
Mike,
it's good to read you use a seat belt too
However I've just looked at some 12v battery charger sites, none are showing a "14.4v, 30 amp, 4 stage battery charger" as Matt uses, with a fuse in the charging cable to the battery being charged ?

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641912

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:19

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:19
Thanks Mainey and Mike DID for your concern,

My Battery Charger is internally fused. I know this as I have already blown an internal fuse. Spade type 40amp. So that covers the battery charger.

The Inverter is also fused on the body of the inverter. The instructions reccomend that if mounting close to source there is no need to fuse the supply. If the battery's both have circuit breakers and the charger and inverter are internally fused that will cover all bases.

Keep in mind that the batterys will be secure and the charger, inverter, fuse board and solar reg will all be mounted within 300-400mm of the Batterys.

I think that as ong as everything is secured. The right size wire is used (and protected with corrigate and heatshrink) it should be ok.

Thanks for your great input guys. I really appreciate it

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641971

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:26

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:26
Is Ok Matt, I believe all 240v powered 12v battery chargers and Inverters are internally fused, hence my post information.

You did say all appliances were being placed in the front "box" so cable length and security was not critical as it is not dificult to fix the cables into place firmly and therefore safely.

Enjoy your trip away

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641973

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:20

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:20
Cheers Mainey,

Will do. Might see you out on the road or fishing somewhere. I am going to have a bit of a blog on here and we have or own website. First stop Geraldton for a few days, then on to Quobba for some fishing! Cant wait.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 642017

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 17:06
Hi Matt

May I suggest a live wire from the battery bank to your fuse box (separate from the solar regulator supply line). Buy a fuse box that allows for 2 input circuits or run a 2nd small fuse box.

This is to be used for back up power. IE: Radio memory codes, Emergency lighting.

I have seen too many campers loose all power when the solar regulator low voltage protection activates.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 374647

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 17:09
P.S.

Make sure your total load does not exceed the 20A Solar regulator.
FollowupID: 641881

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:03
Matt's accessories are stated as:
a. 4 x 12v 36 LED Globes in roof lights
b. 2 x 12v LED reading lamps
c. ShureFlo water pump
d. 12v Range hood
e. 100Lt upright Engel fridge.

With the system I've displayed it's well with-in the Steca's capability, because the Inverter is powered from the 200 ah AGM battery system and as I have stated above, I don't use a fuse in my Inverter cable, but I don't recomend any-one do as I do.

I believe Matt will never (ever) get below 12.1 Volts from his AGM battery system, as I've a much higher current draw from my only slightly higher battery capacity, but I've never seen it under 12 Volts, even at night or first thing in the morning.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641904

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:51
??????‹(•¿•)›???????????MAINEY????MAINEY????????‹(•¿•)›????????

Great you must live pretty close to the sun, but I would not take your advice. Matt is a tradesman with technical and refrigeration background and can work out some figures for himself.

"Just finishing off the wiring in my van (we leave to spend a few years on the road in 17 days!)"

I estimate he will use 80 to 100 amps per day. If he has sunlight every day for the next few years then great.

I DON'T THINK SO !

a. = 1.6A
b. = 0.8A
c. = 5.0A
d. = 5.0A
e. = 6.0A
f. = 3.0A - CD player.

Total including start up currents etc. 21.4A

This is close to the regulators max. I would say he should use a 30A Regulator.

He should also include a car charge circuit for charge / drive application and invest in a generator for emergency charging WHEN YOUR SUN DOES NOT SHINE !

FollowupID: 641917

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:54
Matt Brook (Project Manager/Coordinator)

Matt has a trade background of mechanical fitting and refrigeration, allowing him to understand our Personnel’s needs first hand. Matt coordinates our Personnel and logistical services from our office in Port Kennedy (Western Australia), forty minutes south of Perth, and conducts site visits as required.

FollowupID: 641918

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 19:56
History

Project 110 started on 28/05/2009 at Visy Paper, Tumut, NSW. PGSR provided a Supervisor, 6 Mech Fitters, 2 Gen Fitters, 2 Riggers and 3 Trades Assistants for a 20MW Steam Turbine and Generator Major Overhaul.
Project 109 started on 8/05/2009 at Mt Piper Power Station, Lithgow, NSW. PGSR provided a Supervisor for 700MW Toshiba Steam Turbine Major Overhaul.
Project 107 started on 11/05/2009 at Hydro Tasmania, Bell Bay, TAS. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for Pratt and Whitney FT8 35MW GT service installation.
Project 106 started on 4/05/2009 at Colongra GT Plant, NSW. PGSR provided a Supervisor and a Mech Fitter for 4 x 13E2 GT Fuel Nozzle change outs/FDS overhaul.
Project 105 started on 25/04/2009 at Swanbank E Power Station, QLD. PGSR provided a Supervisor for a GT26 Combustion Inspection (CI).
Project 104 started on 15/04/2009 at QNP, Moura, QLD. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for a Demag Compressor VK40-3, bearing inspection.
Project 100 started on 28/04/2009 at Bundaberg Sugar, Babinda, QLD. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for Assembly and Installation of Steam Turbine.
Project 096 started on 8/05/2009 at AGL, Somerton VIC. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters and a Rigger for a Frame 6 Gas Turbine Combustion Inspection (CI).
Project 092 started on 23/02/2009 at CSR Plane Creek, Sarina, QLD. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for a Turbo Generator Overhaul and Inspection.
Project 091 started on 19/02/2009 at BOC, Whyalla, SA. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters for a Demag Compressor Overhaul.
Project 090 started on 12/02/2009 at Geothermal Plant, Innamincka, SA. PGSR provided a Supervisor for Pre outage Site Planning Visit for 1MW Geothermal Installation.
Project 088 started on 16/03/2009 at Hydro Tasmania, Bell Bay, TAS. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for Pratt and Whitney FT8 35MW GT service installation.
Project 086 started on 9/02/2009 at ATTAR in Morley WA. PGSR provided NDT Training in Liquid Penetrant Level 2 (PT2) for 6 PGSR Personnel.
Project 085 started on 3/02/2009 at PGSR Workshop, Port Kennedy, WA. PGSR provided Type B Industrial Gas fitting training for 13 PGSR Personnel.
Project 084 started on 2/02/2009 at PGSR Workshop, Port Kennedy, WA. PGSR provided Rotalign Training and Familiarisation for 6 PGSR Personnel.
Project 083 started on 27/04/2009 at BOC, Port Kembla, NSW. PGSR provided 10 Mech Fitters for a Major Overhaul of two Demag Compressors.
Project 080 started on 19/01/2009 at Hydro Tasmania, Bell Bay, TAS. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for Pratt and Whitney FT8 35MW GT service installation.
Project 077 started on 23/11/2008 at Santos Moomba, SA. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for a Major Overhaul of Westinghouse Steam turbine including Rotor Replacement.
Project 075 started on 21/10/2008 at BHP Olympic Dam, SA. PGSR provided a Supervisor and 3 Mech Fitters for Steam Turbine and Valve Removal, Overhaul, Installation and Commission.
Project 074 started on 6/11/2008 at Clients Workshop, Perth, WA. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters and a Electrician for Overhaul of 43MW Brush Generator.
Project 073 started on 17/11/2008 at Flinders Power, Port Augusta, SA. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters and a Rigger for Minor Steam Turbine LP inspection on TG2.
Project 072 started on 3/11/2008 at Queensland Alumina Limited, Gladstone, QLD. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters, 3 Gen Fitters and 2 Riggers for a Major Overhaul of 13MW DCT Trenton Steam Turbine and Electric Machinery Mfg. Generator.
Project 071 started on 30/09/2008 at Clients Workshop, Perth, WA. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters for Overhaul of 43MW Brush Generator.
Project 068 started on 21/10/2008 at Southern Cross Power Station, Mt Keith, WA. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for Removal and Reinstallation of overhauled 43MW Brush Generator.
Project 067 started on 15/09/2008 at Roma Power Station, QLD. PGSR provided a Gen Fitter for a Generator Overhaul.
Project 066 started on 12/09/2008 at Alcoa Kwinana, Kwinana Beach, WA. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for a Generator Inspection and Clean.
Project 064 started on 3/09/2008 at Clients Workshop, Perth, WA. PGSR provided 5 Mech Fitters for Overhaul of a 43MW Brush Generator.
Project 063 started on 7/10/2008 at Minara Murrin Murrin, WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters and a Electrician for Risk mitigation inspections of Rotating Equipment.
Project 062 started on 15/09/2008 at QNP, Gladstone, QLD. PGSR provided a Leading Hand, a Mech Fitter and a Rigger for a Demag Compressor Major Overhaul.
Project 061 started on 26/08/2008 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters and a Rigger for a 30MW Mitsubishi Steam Turbine defect rectification.
Project 060 started on 17/08/2008 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided 3 Supervisors and 27 Mech Fitters for a Frame 9E Gas Turbine defect rectification, Major Inspection.
Project 058 started on 13/08/2008 at Alcoa Pinjarra, WA. PGSR provided 2 Supervisors and 2 Mech Fitters for HP Gland Steam Leak rectification.
Project 057 started on 16/09/2008 at Redbank Power Station, Singleton, NSW. PGSR provided 2 Leading Hands and 2 Riggers for Installation of overhauled Steam Turbine.
Project 054 started on 28/07/2008 at Redbank Power Station, Singleton, NSW. PGSR provided 2 Leading Hands and a Rigger for Steam Turbine Breakdown Defect Rectification.
Project 052 started on 15/07/2008 at Alcoa Pinjarra, WA. PGSR provided 2 Supervisors, 6 Mech Fitters and a Rigger for a Steam Turbine Breakdown Defect Rectification.
Project 051 started on 1/09/2008 at IPM Power Station, Kwinana Beach, WA. PGSR provided 6 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 046 started on 22/08/2008 at Parkeston Power Station, Kalgoorlie, WA. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for Removal and Reinstallation of overhauled 43MW Brush Generator.
Project 045 started on 4/09/2008 at Alinta, Newman Power Station, WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for a Frame 6B Gas Turbine Hot Gas Path Inspection (HGPI).
Project 043 started on 22/10/2008 at Rio Tinto, Alcan Gove, Nhulunbuy, NT. PGSR provided a Leading Hand, 8 Mech Fitters and 3 Riggers for a Steam Turbine rotor removal and inspection and defect rectification.
Project 040 started on 3/06/2008 at Alcoa Pinjarra, WA. PGSR provided a Supervisor, 3 Mech Fitters and a Rigger for a Steam Turbine HP Steam Leak rectification.
Project 038 started on 19/05/2008 at CSR Invicta, Cane Mill Power Station, QLD. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for Steam Turbine Installation post overhaul.
Project 036 started on 2/06/2008 at Penrice Soda Holdings, Osborne, SA. PGSR provided a Supervisor for a Gas Compressor and Steam Turbine Overhaul.
Project 035 started on 30/05/2008 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided 5 Mech Fitters and 2 Riggers for a 30MW Mitsubishi Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 034 started on 7/07/2008 at BHP Boodarie Pig Iron Plant, Port Hedland, WA. PGSR provided 7 Mech Fitters and a Rigger for a Frame 6B Gas Turbine Major Inspection and Generator Major Inspection.
Project 031 started on 28/04/2008 at BP Bulwer Island, Brisbane, QLD. PGSR provided 2 Leading Hands and 8 Mech Fitters for a Worthington Simpson Steam Turbine Major inspection and Siemens Radial Air Compressor Major overhaul.
Project 030 started on 31/03/2008 at Bundaberg Sugar, Babinda, QLD. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for a Steam Turbine Installation post inspection.
Project 029 started on 28/03/2008 at Smithfield Energy Facility, Sydney, NSW. PGSR provided 5 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 028 started on 12/03/2008 at CSR Invicta, Cane Mill Power Station, QLD. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for Steam Turbine Removal and overhaul.
Project 027 started on 14/03/2008 at BHP TEMCO, TAS. PGSR provided 6 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Installation post inspection.
Project 026 started on 5/03/2008 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter and a Rigger for a Steam Turbine Bearing Inspection.
Project 025 started on 28/02/2008 at Alcoa Pinjarra, WA. PGSR provided 2 Supervisors, 7 Mech Fitters and 2 Riggers for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 024 started on 11/02/2008 at Lihir Gold, Lihir Island, Papua New Guinea. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for a Demag Compressor Overhaul.
Project 023 started on 18/01/2008 at BHP Olympic Dam, SA. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for Steam Turbine auxillary equipment defect rectification.
Project 022 started on 24/01/2008 at Air Liquide, Kwinana Beach, WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Inspection.
Project 021 started on 19/12/2007 at Osborne Power Station, SA. PGSR provided a Supervisor for Steam Turbine Defect Rectification.
Project 020 started on 4/11/2007 at Pinjar Power Station, Perth, WA. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for a Frame 6 Gas Turbine Gearbox change.
Project 019 started on 21/11/2007 at BHP TEMCO, TAS. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Inspection and Removal.
Project 018 started on 3/11/2007 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided 9 Mech Fitters for a Frame 9E Gas Turbine Combustion Inspection (CI).
Project 017 started on 22/10/2007 at Jeeralang Power Station, Morwell, VIC. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for a Frame 9B Gas Turbine Hot Gas Path Inspection (HGPI).
Project 016 started on 5/10/2007 at Smithfield Energy Facility, Sydney, NSW. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters for a Frame 6B Gas Turbine Hot Gas Path Inspection (HGPI).
Project 015 started on 17/07/2007 at Woodside, Cossack Pioneer, Offshore. PGSR provided 2 Consultants for preparation of Technical documentation for Marine Steam Turbine Maintenance.
Project 014 started on 20/08/2007 at Channel Island Power Station, Darwin, NT. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Minor Inspection.
Project 013 started on 31/08/2007 at Osborne Power Station, SA. PGSR provided a Supervisor and 16 Mech Fitters for a Frame 9E Gas Turbine Hot Gas Path Inspection (HGPI) and Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 012 started on 20/07/2007 at Alcoa Pinjarra, WA. PGSR provided 2 Leading Hands, 5 Mech Fitters and 2 Riggers for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection, Unit 4.
Project 011 started on 6/07/2007 at Dampier Port Facility, Dampier, WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for Recommissioning of Unit 4 English Electric Steam Turbine.
Project 010 started on 29/06/2007 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided 9 Mech Fitters, 2 Gen Fitters and a Rigger for a 30MW Mitsubishi Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 009 started on 2/07/2007 at Alcoa Wagerup, WA. PGSR provided 3 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection, Unit 2.
Project 008 started on 14/06/2007 at Flinders Power, Port Augusta, SA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for a Steam Turbine Vibration Rectification and Inspection.
Project 007 started on 30/03/2007 at BHP Worsley Alumina, Collie WA. PGSR provided 4 Mech Fitters for a Frame 9E Gas Turbine Defect Rectification.
Project 006 started on 6/03/2007 at Smithfield Energy Facility, Sydney, NSW. PGSR provided a Supervisor, 10 Mech Fitters and 3 Trades Assistants for a Frame 6B Gas Turbine Hot Gas Path Inspection (HGPI).
Project 005 started on 10/05/2007 at Secret Harbour, WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for Mobile Tool Container Construction.
Project 004 started on 14/05/2007 at Minara Murrin Murrin, WA. PGSR provided a Supervisor, 5 Mech Fitters and 2 Riggers for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection.
Project 003 started on 16/04/2007 at Minara Murrin Murrin, WA. PGSR provided 2 Mech Fitters for a ABB Gas Turbine Minor Inspection and Generator inspection.
Project 002 started on 17/05/2007 at Alcoa Pinjarra, WA. PGSR provided 2 Leading Hands, 2 Mech Fitters and 2 Riggers for a Steam Turbine Major Inspection, Unit 3.
Project 001 started on 3/04/2007 at Shell Clyde Refinery, NSW. PGSR provided a Mech Fitter for a Steam Turbine Inspection.
FollowupID: 641919

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:09

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:09
Yes Derek, as you have clearly shown and indeed proven beyond any doubt,
Matt definitely IS competent and also very qualified
that MUST be the reason Matt posted to me:

"Thanks Mainey,
So AGM A and B are still directly linked.
This is pretty much what I was trying to Draw.
You have just done it a lot better.

The battery charger WILL STILL CHARGE BOTH 'A' and 'B' AGM's
and the inverter will draw off both.
Matt."

Derek, yes, obviously Matt does know what he's talking about
because as you have clearly shown, Matt is truly qualified

So Derek, why do you also disagree with Mark's post to me ?
( or is it just a personality disorder? )

Derek, The battery charger is a 240v, 30 Amp, 4 stage battery charger.

Power 'in' is ONLY supplied by 240v home or Caravan Park 240v system.

Power 'out' is by the 2 cables attached to the 240v battery charger, which usually ONLY have "Alligator Clips" at each end, to easily attach to the 'discharged battery' after all how do you use a 240v battery charger while your driving - between towns ?

As I've printed below the diagram, it's a "Schematic (+) cable design only"

I did not say or even suggest in any way it was BOLTED to the battery - did I ??
Image Could Not Be FoundIt's not this 240v battery charger you sell
it has NO fuse attached to the red “out-put” cable.

Derek, do you sell any 240v battery chargers with an in-line fuse ??
NO, you don't either
They are not made, because fuse's are NOT required on the (+) outlet cable.

Then you post the following information:

a. = 1.6A (4 x 12v 36 LED Globes in roof lights)
b. = 0.8A (2 x 12v LED reading lamps)
c. = 5.0A (ShureFlo water pump)
d. = 5.0A (12v Range hood)
e. = 6.0A (100Lt upright Engel fridge)
f. = 3.0A (CD player)
Total including start up currents etc. 21.4A
This is close to the regulators max. I would say he should use a 30A Regulator"

Derek,
obviously you don't know a lot about how an (efficient) Solar power system works.

To get the 21.4 Amps you claim, ALL Matts 12v electrical products would have to be running at exactly the same time, the 3 sets of lights, tap, range hood etc. the the chance of that is not too high is it?
Do Steca controllers cut off at exactly 20 Amps ?,
obviously that's why you say “This is CLOSE to the regulators max”
so it's not totally reasonable to change up to 30 Amp.

My Steca is only 15 Amps, I believe I draw as many amps as Matt will, I've never suffered cut-off.

Derek you then say:
"I estimate he will use 80 to 100 amps per day"

so what ??
the fridge will be the biggest user by far and it will only be ~48 Amps over 24 HOURS.

HOWEVER: Matts AGM's will be still fully charged at sundown each day
as the fridge, CD, tap etc. will ALL be run by the 160 Watt Solar system during the DAY, only at NIGHT will the fridge, lights etc draw on the battery for their power supply.

All these accessories will NOT use anywhere 80 Amps per NIGHT, what they use per DAY (sunlight time) does NOT matter because Matt's Solar system will provide the power for them.

Derek, if your Solar system does not work this way then you I suggest you need to upgrade to better technology ha ha ha

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641969

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:43

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:43
Thanks Guys,

Sorry wasnt trying to start a blue or anything.

Yep thats me. Fridgy and Mechy fitter by trade. Pretty handy with steam and gas turbines too. I love working on 12v electrics and enjoy doing things correctly.

Its great to get so much feedback on what I am trying to acheive.

I reckon this is what my power will be. Though I will be able to tell you in about three weeks after a week on the road.

Item Amps ph Time Used Hours per day
Range HoodWith LED Globes 1.6 1 1.6
With Incandesant Globes 5 1 5
Fridge Averages 42AH a day 1.75 24 42
CD Player 3.2 3 9.6
Water Pump 5 1 5
Roof Lights With LED Globes 1 4 4
With Incandesant Globes 6 4 24
Reading Lights Only short test 0.6 1 0.6

87.8 Amps per day with Incandesant Globes
62.8 Amps per day with LEDS

Its amazing how much power you can save with LED's.

This obviously dosent take into account the inverter which will only be used every now and again. I have a small inverter in the car that we will run when driving around to charge camera, laptop and phone.

Thanks Guys again.

I will post some photos of my efforts before, during and after when shes all done.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641977

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 07:23

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 07:23
Hi Matt

Yes your figures are good I was allowing for about 5A for an hour of laptop or camera charging per day by inverter and also about 55A per day for the fridge. I have a 90L upright Engel in my caravan.

Your charger will be fused internally all chargers have some form of protection.

All our chargers have an AC input fuse and a DC output fuse. Some of these DC fuses are electronic but most are simple blade type auto fuses. The AC fuses are sometimes covered in some heat shrink tube so can't be easily seen.

I'm sure you can work out that if you are say cooking a meal with lights on, some music playing, filling up the basin and the fridge switches on just after opening a beer your could exceed 20A but this is a worst case scenario.

I would still fit that circuit I mentioned for the radio memory codes and at least one light.

Regards

Derek from ABR
FollowupID: 641986

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 07:32

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 07:32
FollowupID: 641987

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 29, 2009 at 01:23

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2009 at 01:23
Derek,
we are talking about a fuse situated *in the red (+) cable*
between the Alligator clip and the battery charger - not inside the battery charger,
they are in built in to protect the electronics, inside the battery charger, but not placed in the actual (+) cable external to the battery charger, are they ?

Maîneÿ . . .

FollowupID: 644029

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:29
Matt
It might also be a good idea to add extra fuses to split the lightsts on fuse No 1 as if this fuse blows you will have no lights at all. If you have a seperate fuse for roof lights and another for the reading lights you will still have some lights working if a fuse blows.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 374674

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:35

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 20:35
Yes, great idea.

I agree.
FollowupID: 641929

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:57

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:57
Was going to do that on the Windsor until I discovered I would have to just about strip all the cladding to get to the wiring.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 641968

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:12

Thursday, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:12
Cheers Murray,

I have the same dilema as Tony. I already have a decent size wire running from the back to the front from when the van was made. If I was to split the system I would have to re run some more wiring. As its only 6 x LED's (Less than 2 amps being very conservative) and a cd player(maybe 5 amps) I wasnt to worried. If I blow fuses then I will re wire it.

Cheers

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 641970

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:26

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:26
Matt,
you say you have:

* 30 Amp battery charger

* 20 Amp Steca solar reg

However, your picture clearly shows a 15 Amp Steca Regulator

Question is:

# Will a 30 Amp battery charger blow all fuse's under 30 Amps on the same charging circuit ?

AnswerID: 375633

Sponsored Links