Gutterless roof racks

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 707 Views:2796 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any good or bad reports on gutterless roof racks. The roof racks in question are Rhino racks and have a loading of 100kg per pair. I want to use one as part of a roof rack system to carry a 70kg boat on a dual cab. Two of the bars will be homemade and be part of the canopy system and the third will be a single Rhino bar. I was concerned as to how the Rhino bar mounting system will perform on corrugated roads as I don't want to damage the cab of my vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jono - Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:00
look, from my point of view if you dont have gutters and you want a roof rack, you should go to ARB or another similar 4WD shop and get a full cage style rack riverted to you roof. it is a big job, and pretty expensive (i got quoted $1500) but will be worth it in the end.
AnswerID: 2005

Reply By: Cam - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Maurie, I have a pair of Thule roof rails on my 4runner which has no gutters. They are rated at 70 or 75 kg. I have made a steel frame roof rack that bolts onto the rails and it carries my 2nd spare tyre, a jerry can, high lift jack & a shovel. I have travelled all around Australia including the cape, kimberly, golf, frasier & more and had no problems other than the rubber mounts slightly marking the paint underneath them on the roof. 1 rail carrying part of a boat should be no problem....Cam
AnswerID: 2077

Follow Up By: Maurie - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the reply but one of the replies to a roof rack for a dual cab in a later question will cause me to be cautious in not fixing the boat to the front rail as well as the rails over the canopy as the tray and cab are mounted differently so will flex differently.
FollowupID: 725

Sponsored Links