info on a 4wd club to join in adelaide

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:28
ThreadID: 7090 Views:3885 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi every one my name is peter and i,m new to the 4wd scene . The family and i own a 91 model gls pajero and are looking to join a club in the next 6 mths [no hurry] i,d be interested to hear back from a club member with same info on how much it cost to join and how often they go away . we as a family have,nt got a lot of money so if we joined up i hope that would not affect being involved as i find alot of people involved in clubs are sitting comfortable finacialy if we joined we just did,nt wa,nt to be left out because of this reason To meet other people would be good as well . We enjoy going north the most so we are looking for same company for that next trip .hope to hear from same one in adelaide cheers peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:47

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 21:47
Hi Peter,

I'll comment generally, and not necessarily about my club.

There are about 28 clubs in SA. Most clubs in Adelaide will charge about $30 joining fee and about $60-$70 per year for membership. In my case, that pays for itself in discounts alone. The benefits are great, so money is not a major consideration.

I go away every month for either a weekend or 1 or 2 week trip, but I admit to going away more than most. Most clubs will have stuff happening every month.

Trips come in various categories. We have training trips, social trips and the normal 4wding adventure type trips. In essence, they are all social, as going away with people is a great way to get to know them in a relaxed way, with a common interest. People in 4wd clubs come from all walks of life. In our club, we have retirees, tradespeople, professional people, you name it. 4wding is the big equaliser - sitting around a campfire, or doing trips you are all equal irrespective of your background. While a lot of people in clubs are well off, there's a lot who have as much fun, or more on a shoestring budget and a 60 series Landcruiser.

There will be some requirements, before you can go away. You'll need a 8000kg snatch strap, 3.25T bow shackle, shovel, fire extinguisher, tyre pump etc. Don't bother about the fancy recovery gear - you'll never get to use it in SA. You'll probably be able to get these items with club discounts. Seek advice at the club before you make any purchases.

I'd suggest you go to the SAAFWDC website www.saafwdc.asn.au and check out the clubs and their websites. Feel free to browse our website www.tlccsa.asn.au .

My suggestion is to come to some meetings at different clubs, get an idea of what the clubs do, the age of their members etc etc. Go to the 4wd show next month and visit some of the 4wd club stands and have a chat. When you're ready to join a club, then go for it!!

Cheers
Phil Gaukroger
President TLCCSA
AnswerID: 30383

Follow Up By: greendog - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 16:21

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 16:21
thanks very much phil for the reply mate i,ll drop down one night at one of your meetings ,snd allso go to the 4wd show ,could you get back to me on a date for that thanks cheers peter
FollowupID: 21940

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 00:25

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 00:25
Peter,

The 4wdshow details are at
http://www.4wdshow.com.au/

October 17-19.

Next club meet is Sept 22 at the West Adelaide Footy Club at 7pm.

Phil
FollowupID: 21962

Sponsored Links