Q...Camping in Victoria

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:11
ThreadID: 7093 Views:5190 Replies:12 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are English and are hoping to spend 1-2 weeks camping in Victoria over Christmas. However we are looking for somthing 'Very Australian'.
We are thinking about the Grampians, but would prefer to go somewhere with less of a crowd.
We do not have the use of a 4wd, but really would like to camp in an 'out of the way area'. A little bit of fishing would be nice too.
And Just to make things more difficult, we have a daughter in a wheelchair.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Many Thank
P. Stutt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:20

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:20
gday mr hull.
why not check out the high country.mansfield/jamieson/howqua.
plenty to see there and nice river to fish in.
we used to camp up there before we had our 4wd and we also camp at grampionsšqUC3<BuIL
AnswerID: 30390

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:38

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:38
If you want less of a crowd, dont go on holidays at Christmas.. Simple as that.

Grampians will be full, high country will be full of the Toorak Tractor crowd on their once a year pilgramage to the "MECCA" of 4wding with their shiny discos, and no recovery gear.

High Country there is lots to see, but yea its always packed on any long weekend.

You could try a journey down the great ocean road, or even across to Tassie, BILLIONS of things to see over there, adn all good.
AnswerID: 30397

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:42
great minds think alike Diamond . I was going to say High country , then no 4x4 was added , Howqua track is easy enough , down to sheep yard flats , i dont know about the not many other campers though.

sitting here scratching my head **********

Try Paradise valley just befor licola , Nice place . you can camp by the river , some trout fishing also , and full facilities there also , Toilets showers hot water , power . It dosnt look like your tipical caravan park , you can find a spot way from everyone and still get around on most of the path by wheel chair ,

good luck & happy holidays .

if you keep us informed as to when your here , some one from this forum should be up that way, might even get to see some 4x4 action, :-) who knows
AnswerID: 30398

Reply By: Luke - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 23:05

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 23:05
Try heading up Lady Talbot Forest Drive just out of Marysville about 1hr East of Melbourne.

It is a lovely place with beautiful bush surroundings and easy access.

Good fishing for trout, both brown and rainbow (mostly rainbow) in the Taggerty River, it's tributaries and many other streams in the region.

Probably a little busy over Christmas, but it will be difficult to find anywhere with good access that is not busy at that time of the year ....

Good luck :-)

Cheers,

Luke.

AnswerID: 30404

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:28

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:28
The Murray river....Passage Camp near Boundary Bend , nice spot....anywhere behind the Hattah lakes along the river , the roads should be dry at that time...below the weir at Wentworth...good spot , not far from the town...further out is lock 9 ..good camping area...a bit furter along is Neds corner...all those spots are free...Rocklands resevoir at Glendenning ..I hear the lake has risen some what , plenty of camp spots there , although has been known to get a little crowded at Xmas ..but still not a bad spot and free...take your rubbish out with you . cheers
AnswerID: 30428

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:17

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:17
hey mr hull,
there are heaps of places to camp and fish. the gippsland lakes and mallacoota area, the murray river, the otways and the high country just to name a few.
i would suggest the best thing for you to buy is the camping guide book of victoria which this site sells. it is brilliant. tells you of hundreds of camp sites, what's there and what facilities, including wheelchair access, are available.
some good internet sites to visit are,
http://users.tpg.com.au/viccamp/analpha.html
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/
http://www.atn.com.au/index.htm
and of course this site has great info as well.
enjoy victoria, the best state in australia.

AnswerID: 30437

Reply By: Peter L - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:50

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:50
Mr. Hull, being "English" could mean that you will find the temperatures a little warm around Christmas time. Only you know what weather conditions you can tollerate, but if that may be a problem (and only for that reason) I would stick to the high country or the coast, and avaid places further inland such as the Murray River areas.

Peter L
AnswerID: 30447

Reply By: Gazza - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:32

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:32
You could try the run from Omeo across to Nariel and camp in the upper Murray valley near Corryong or even Tom Groggin on the river. The cooler climate will more likely suit your tastes.

Alternatively turn right at Benambra and go across to the lower Snowy Valley and down to McKillops Bridge.
AnswerID: 30458

Follow Up By: Mr Hull - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:05

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:05
Many Many thanks for all this info'. Its less than 24 hours since I posted my question, and I am astounded by the many replies.
Unfortunatly Christmas time is the only time we have, so it looks like we have to put up with the crowds.
I will look up all the places you have all recommended, and I thank you all once again for taking the time and trouble to reply to my posting.
It would be nice maybe if any of these places have wild Kangaroos, Koalas, Parrotts etc for the kids to see.
I suppose I am looking for the perfect place......arn't we all.
But for the third time................THANK YOU ALL!

FollowupID: 21495

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 17:53

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 17:53
If you want the wildlife then go for the Grampians or Healesville, beautiful at that time of the year.

Good luck, as someone has said let us know where you are and you never know the hospitality you may receive.

All the bestLaterally Literal
Seriously Serial
FollowupID: 22190

Reply By: Dave - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 19:55

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 19:55
Try Ouyen and the big desert in the north west. It will be nice and cool over Christmas. Great fishing at Dimboola

Oh Yeah watch out for the drop bears and one eyed trouser snakes in the summer too. Bush pigs can be a bit rough in th ewest of the state so better off having a fire going at night. Dave
AnswerID: 30489

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 20:21

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 20:21
Hi Mr Hull:

Truckster's suggestion on the Great Ocean Road is a good one - and not intensely 4WD either. It is absolutely awesome. You may have to do a bit of forward planning for camping facilities, but I went there in January of this year and loved it.
(And I live here ....).
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30491

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:06

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:06
Mr Hull.

I have a sugestion for you but If I post it it will be crowded, so email me on emer@netspace.com.au and I will give you the details. Eric.
AnswerID: 30503

Reply By: Member - Des - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 14:21

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 14:21
As everyone says, it's hard to avoid crowds at Christmas, especially without going to 4WD only areas. But then crowds in Australia are not as bad as the crowds you might be used to in, say, south of France or Spain in August.

Regarding your query about wildlife. There are actually quite a few places very close to Melbourne where you can see kangaroos/wallabies, wombats, koalas, parrots, possums, etc, in the wild (without going to Healesville Sanctuary, which is really a glorified zoo). For example:
- Wombats, roos, cockatoos and crimson rosellas (a red parrot) are common around Kinglake National Park. At night you may find gliders and even owls spotlighting.
- You can often find koalas at Pound Bend in Warrandyte State Park.
- There are several different sorts of parrots (including sulphur-crested cockatoos) on the Yarra River at places like Studley Park.
- Lyrebirds can often be found in Sherbrooke Forest in the Dandenong Ranges NP.

A little further away:
- Phillip Island (about 1.5 hours south of Melb) has a very commercial "penguin parade", when Little Penguins come ashore at dusk to the gasps of many busloads of tourists, but also plenty of koalas and (less well-known) a huge breeding colony of short-tailed shearwaters - going there over summer with a torch about dusk is a wonderful experience.
- Wilson's Promontary NP (2.5 h S-E of Melb): a great place, with great wildlife. Rosellas, yellow-tailed black cockatoos, wombats, swamp wallabies, possums (including Eastern Pygmy Possums), roos and emus are all easy enough to find.
Camping in the main areas is often booked out at Christmas, but there is plenty of accommodation nearby.
- Central Victoria goldfields (1-2 h N-NW of Melb): a very interesting area generally, and quite different to the above (much drier woodland). Good birding in and lots of roos in the box-ironbark forests.

Agree with other people's tips too. East Gippsland and High Country are my personal favorites, with some quite remote areas. However, note that much of the High Country in Vic, southern NSW and ACT was devastated by fires last summer; wildlife was badly affected. (Here are maps of the area burnt in Vic.)

For information about places in Victoria, I suggest you look at the Parks Victoria web site: you can download an amazing amount of info about almost every park in Vic.

I also strongly recommend Lonely Planet's book, "Watching Wildlife in Australia". It has many suggestions on places to go, and a wealth of info about habitats, birds and animals. If you read it first, it will really enrich your trip.

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 31229

Sponsored Links