New Prado

Submitted: Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 20:55
ThreadID: 7117 Views:2056 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any comments, opinions (good/bad or otherwise) with regard to the new Prado ?

I have only heard good things about the older model...

Looking at upgrading my old 85 Hilux with new Turbo Diesel Prado.

Any comments about its offroad performance compared to the traditional Landcruiser and Patrol ?

My concerns are around reduced clearance and independent suspension.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martin - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:09

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:09
Hello Vader, I have just bought my third Prado. This one is a TD the previous 2 were petrol. I've been very happy with them all. I've done sand (Simpson Desert and beaches), outback roads and high country. Neither the clearance nor the suspension has been an issue on any of the trips I've done. I know that the independent suspension gives less wheel travel, but the travel is still good and has been sufficient for all I've done. Of course the highway performance of IFS is far better than the "truck like" feel of a solid axle.
I went TD this time for economy. It doesn't have the high speed power of petrol but up to the speed limit it's quite quick and will go over 160kph given time. Torque is great so towing is a breeze (I tow 2.5 tonnes regularly). Consumption has been between 11l/100 on the open road at 110kph and 12 city driving. !80 litre tanks mean a long way between fills (about 1400km before you start to think about it)
AnswerID: 30504

Follow Up By: Martin - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:13

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:13
Vader just an after thought. In 6 years and about 250,000kms of Prado ownership, I have had nothing done to them other than routine services. Absolutely nothing has failed in any way - not even a flat tyre LOL but the petrol I'm about to sell has a chipped windscreen!
FollowupID: 21536

Reply By: Prado Boy - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 21:50

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 21:50
G'day Vader,

I've got the 2001 Prado TD RV and its a great little truck. She handles just about everything I want to do - but I will (at about 100,000 Km's) do the suspension (lift 2" - probably Rancho shocks/struts + either Auto Alliance or King springs). Not that there is anything major wrong with the suspension - I just want some more lift and when I replace the Cooper ST's (going from 29's 225/75R16's to 31's 265/75/R16 - yeah I know I need wider rims guys!) seems like the logical time to do all that.

I am VERY happy with it. By all reports the new TD Prado is even better - with a few minor improvements to go with the major styling redesign. Also - 180 litre fuel instead of 159 in my beastie which will give a fair bit more range. I have done nearlty 1400Km's on highway cycle between fillups and generally have about 10 to 15 litres left after that - so that would put the range of the new Prado up around 1550+Kms??? Something like that anyway. Which is pretty good for a stock truck. When I go to Fraser Is. from Brisbane I fill up down here with cheap fuel and don't bother to fill up till we get back - after a week or so of touring and camping pn the Is., which is mostly light duty 4WDing etc. Always makes my friends shake their heads - and saves me $$$!!! Also avoids any fuel problems on the Is.
:-)

If going near the beach I thoroughly recommend Electronic Rust Prevention Systems. Get one with 6 points - you won't regret it. Also - I've been using Cooper ST's and just fitting those tyres totally transforms the capabilities of the Prado. Two improvements I'd highly recommend you do from new.

I have a bunch of other stuff too. Cruise control and Air conditioning (not standard on the old RVs) both for my driving comfort, Snorkel, ERPS (mentioned above), Tow Bar, UHF + other bits and pieces. Makes it a great touring vehicle. Future bits I'd like to add include ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar + Lightforce 170 Driving Lights - again for my driving comfort on long trips at night.

I've had it up to Landcruiser Mountain Park and some of the other 4WD parks around Brisvegas - and while there was some stuff I wouldn't attempt at those places - there were plenty of places we did go that surprised some quite experienced folks. And all without damage - bar a slightly bent side step. So she handles the ruff stuff pretty well too.

Only problem I've had sp far was with the Idler pulley on the Air Conditioning Unit which was replaced at the 50000K service. Other than that she goes like a charm.

So don't hesitate - jump out and get yourself one. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
Ross
AnswerID: 30727

Reply By: Hilly - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 14:29

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 14:29
What are you after Vader? Are you after a car with a nice high driving position and a bit more interior space than the hi-lux or are you after a serious off road performing 4WD? If it only goes off road twice a year then it would probably suffice. If you are out there every weekend then your criteria will change.

Cheers,

Hilly
AnswerID: 30993

Sponsored Links