Tyres

Submitted: Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 20:58
ThreadID: 7118 Views:1576 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Would it be a really bad idea to have two different tread patterns on the front and rear? I recently replaced the two rear tyres with cooper a/t's because I decided most of my offroad driving would be on sand, however its been more about 50/50 between sand and sloppy stuff. So I was considering putting the A/T's on the front and S/T's on the rear. The S/T's do have a larger circumfrince due to a deeper tread. But is there such a thing as transfer case windup? My gut says this is not the right thing to do but I dont know why.
Thanks James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 21:30

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 21:30
I wouldnt do it, Why not run 2 sets of tires on seperate sets of rims, but then again STs if they are Coopers should be sweet for both anyway.
AnswerID: 30498

Reply By: Rhubarb - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:35

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 22:35
Jimmy you could probably get away with if your desperate, I probably wouldn't do it unless it was a short term thing.

What type of 4by do you drive? If it's a part timer then it shouldn't be to much of a problem as long as you only engage 4WD on surfaces your sure will allow the smaller tires to slip (or as in this case be pushed) - to keep the same speed as the bigger tires.

If it's a full-timer you will put additional stress on centre diff as it balances out the different size tires. Though over a short period this shouldn't be of major concern.

As for transmission windup there certainly is such a thing. Thats why you should never use 4WD on a hard surface such as the black top. Tranmission windup occurs because of the two drive shafts to the front and rear diff being locked together. While cornering these drive shafts need to travel at different speeds (because the front wheels travel further than the rear wheels). This why you have to be on a loose surface, so the wheels can slip and therefore travel at different speeds. On a hard surface the wheels don't slip and put major strain on the transmission.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 30516

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:53

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:53
James I run different tyres front to rear or visa versa maily because on a trip a few years ago I blew a few out . I could not get matching sets so I had no choice.
1 pair are mud terains and the other are all terains but they are all the same rolling diameter.To date not had a problem. I am just wearing them out and then will get all the same. Also I have another set of rubber I use on tour. The other set are wrangler mtrs.
All the best
Eric
4wd Tag Along AdventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 30618

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:53

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:53
James I run different tyres front to rear or visa versa maily because on a trip a few years ago I blew a few out . I could not get matching sets so I had no choice.
1 pair are mud terains and the other are all terains but they are all the same rolling diameter.To date not had a problem. I am just wearing them out and then will get all the same. Also I have another set of rubber I use on tour. The other set are wrangler mtrs.
All the best
Eric
4wd Tag Along AdventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 30619

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:56

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:56
I must have liked that reply so I sent it twice.
Dont know how that happened.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 30621

Sponsored Links