Skytrek, Flinders Rangers

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 20:29
ThreadID: 7136 Views:2414 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Going to the Flinder Ranges soon, just wonder if the Skytrek can be done in a Subaru Forrester? Any suggestions of places and things to see between Wilpena and Arkaroola in the Flinders Rangers. Any good camping grounds in these areas would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Tracy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 21:54

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 21:54
Tracy, We were there a couple of years ago & if my memory serves me right the skytrek is on private property & can only be done in the operator's vehicles.
As far as what to do in the area - Wilpena has all the info you will need at their office ( where you book your camp site).There are many thigs to do & see.
Self guided tours, lots of lookouts ect. Hills hoestead, Sacred Canyon,Parachilna Gorge & many others (Chambers & Barraranna jst to name a couple.) & then theres Arkaroola with a whole lot more self drive tours. We spent six days in the area , but I'm not shure about camping areas as we camped at Wilpena campground & Arkaroola campground. (3 days at each). Overall a fantastic place to spend some time.
P.S. later in the year would probably be better as July was freezing at night.
Happy travelling

PMKoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
AnswerID: 30624

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:02

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:02
Paul,

You may be getting confused with the Ridgebaclk at Arkaroola which is done on the back of their troopies.

We did the skytrek a couple of years ago, it is self guided. You need a high clearance 4WD to do it. We were in a Jack that had been slightly raised and bottomed in a few spots. It's rocky with high centres in the road and mostly low range climbing and descending.

You could blaze the trail but personally I would not do it in a Forrester if it were me.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 21668

Follow Up By: Member - Paul H - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:23

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:23
Sorry about the wrong info, but it has been a couple of years since we were there.
I stand corrected.
Still a great place to visit

PMKoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
FollowupID: 21671

Reply By: Blackie - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:06

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:06
Skytrek is on Willow Springs Station. I believe you hire the keys to access the gates on the road and drive yourself. Things have a habit of changing though The Willow Springs contact is 08 8648 0016.
At Arkaroola you do the Ridgetop tour in the company vehicles, but there are are other tracks to try out... at least there were.
AnswerID: 30627

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:03

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:03
I did Skytrek in July this year. I had no trouble in my lifted Prado, and when you have plenty of clearance most obstacles don't seem to be much. Would a Forester do it? Hmm. Most of the time you're on pretty flat track so it's OK, but there are some areas where clearance and articulation are an issue, and some steep but straightforward climbs. Rather than trust any of us, though, I would recommend emailing Carmel Reynolds (the operator of Willow Springs) (do a search on skytrek and get the email address) and asking her. Of course you do it at your own risk etc. My impression would be that you will probably scrape your nose, bum and in between, but I might be totally ignorant of the Subaru's off road ability. I'm also ignorance of your tolerance of putting scratches and dents in your pride and joy. It is a very interesting trip though, and if you don't want to take your vehicle, I know that there are commercial operators who take passengers eg from Wilpena Pound.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 30672

Reply By: Russ - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 00:15

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 00:15
Tracy,

If you havn't done it already, contact the Reynolds. If you do not have low range I don't think they will allow you to do the trip. Not sure if your vehicle has Low range, didn't think it did.

We have done it twice now and it is a top drive. Allow plenty of time if you do do it.

Other spots to see, absolutely heaps. Get Ron Moons book on the Flinders.

We have been there 9 times, always plenty to see.

Russ

AnswerID: 30740

Reply By: Goona - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 18:57

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 18:57
I did it about 8 months ago and passed a mercedies bend on the track. The subaru will have no probs
AnswerID: 30898

Follow Up By: Simon - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 14:28

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 14:28
If it wasnt raining you could drive a Magna around there.
FollowupID: 21928

Reply By: Member - Votlip - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:01

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:01
Paul, a group of us went and did a day trip on the skytrek tour last week. One of the vehicles was a Subaru Forester. It went around ok, but it did slow us down a fair bit due to its lower clearance. It scraped the ground a fair bit, and at the end of it the driver said that he wouldn't do it again. There were four people in the car though and I thought it did well. Everyone that went enjoyed the day and I would certainly recommend it. Hope this info isn't too late for your trip.
AnswerID: 31604

Sponsored Links