<span class="highlight">Vacuum</span> sealing

Submitted: Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:08
ThreadID: 71371 Views:3011 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've seen people discussing vacuum sealing for food preservation.
I have no experience with the necessary tools involved or the process,
nor am I pushing or backing the website or its products, but if anyone is interested, zazz has a vacuum sealing kit today for $28 delivered.
This may or may not be good value or good quality, and if you get one ,don't blame me if it don't work.
zazz linkhttp://www.zazz.com.au/index.php
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Porl - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:24

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:24
That is cheap, I got mine off Deals Direct for $78. Eurovaxx or something like that.

Now I've seen the zazz one i can say that with mine, I can use virtually any bag that is used with the major competition and vice versa, breville etc.

That Zazz gadget looks great but that is a very special bag whereas the others use heat to seal. I think if you bought this you would be restricted to buying the bags from that supplier, whereas the regular type you can buy the bags anywhere, Kmart, Target, many online shops.

Just my 5c.

Other than that is looks great and much more compact than my bench top unit.

AnswerID: 378338

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:33

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:33
Hi there, Ian. I bought a Sunbeam machine a few years ago. This is one of those that suck out the air and then weld the bag closed. This is the same method that butchers use (even though the Sunbeam is probably a bit Micky Mouse compared to the professional machines). It has worked well.
My research revealed that machines vary in terms of the amount of air they remove (not just around the meat, but also FROM WITHIN the meat). I bought a Ford Falcon model, and you can buy a BMW version if you're well heeled.
The machine you mention looks like a Vespa scooter model, but it may be useful. My questions would be about the amount of suck, and how well the valve stands up to the rough and tumble in a 4WB fridge: I prefer a definite welded bag.
The worst thing is the cost of bags. The one in your link says you mustn't re-use bags once used for meat, and mine says the same. So filling your Engel (what else) with vacuum packed food can set you back a few dollars each time.
But having a fortnight's meat sealed so it keeps and doesn't leak is worth it, particularly if you're away from shops.
AnswerID: 378342

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:05

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:05
Hi Chris, I'm inclined to agree.
This looks a bit like the deal with printers; they make no money on the sale of the printer, just the consumables, and boy, do they make a killing!
As an aside, the comments section on the website read like facebook trivia!
At the top end of these products, I'm impressed with the butchers' cryovac machines, which use an external pressure chamber to push the air out of the bag, then heat-seal it. This would appear to be more effective than sucking the air out, tho I've seen lots of good comments on the Sunbeam machine.
I've considered buying one, but these days, I've generally found no problem finding a butcher in the top end who can cryovac all my supplies for 3-4 weeks away, and am willing to pay the small charge for the vac sealing.

cheers,
Gerry

FollowupID: 645741

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:14

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:14
Gerry.
I am inclined to agree: the 'small charge' to have meat cryovaced by the butcher is about the same as the cost of a Sunbeam bag!!
Now that we have a machine, we usually pre-cook a few meals (casseroles; curries etc) and vacuum pack and freeze them for those times when we want a quick meal (drop pouch into billy of boiling water, reheat, dish up: quick; minimum washing up).
Like you, we had no problem in the Top End finding a good REAL butcher with cryovac - 'way to go'.

FollowupID: 645753

Follow Up By: Member - Philip L (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 17:18

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 17:18
Just to add my two bobs worth. I went to Lake Eyre a fortnight ago. We stayed at Clare on our way up from Sydney. I got the butcher in Clare, a few doors up from the pub, to CryoVac our meat. It was all superb and the cost was fantastic.

Highly recommend you stop at the Clare Butcher!!!
FollowupID: 646952

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 20:11

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009 at 20:11
Ive used large and small type vacuum machines in the meat game and my small sunbeam does it as good ,just a bit slower
FollowupID: 646979

Reply By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 14:14

Monday, Aug 10, 2009 at 14:14
We've had such a machine for several years. Ours is a Foodsaver which is exactly the same as the Sunbeam model (who stole whose idea who knows!).

We went away recently for a 6 week period and had vacuum packed all of our meat. We used some steaks almost at then end of the period and they were still fine. They had travelled across Walkers Crossing, the Simpson, The Strezlecki Track, the Oodnadatta Track, the Birdsville Track to the Diamentina Lakes and then to Rockhampton and eventually to West Wyalong where we used them. We were somewhat sceptical that they would still be okay, but they were fine.

We think they are great machines. We have even prepared vegetables to use within a couple of days and taken them away. Makes cooking really easy.

Perhaps the worst thing to happen would be for the bag to get punctured, but that can happen with butcher prepared cryovac too.

Bruce and Di
AnswerID: 378367

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 02:52

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 at 02:52
Take it from me that the max "safe" period for refrigerated storeage of so called cryo vac packed meat is 6 weeks.

How the eats handled prior to vac packing has a big effect on longevity based on a scientific paper I once read on the subject, - the Ph of the meat - whether frsh water washed post slaughter etc all has an impact.

It CAN last much longer (up to 3 months even) BUT the constant change in temperature of a fridge that is opened and closed daily, means a much shorter storeage shelf life, once cryovacced.

Constant temp is critical to shelf life and thats hard to achieve with a portable travel fridge.

The key is to freeze your cyo vacced meat - and pull it out of the freezer and into your fridge a day or so ahead of when you expect to need it, to allow for defrosting.

This way if plans change and you don't eat it that same day it is still Ok for a few days or week more to use it, because of the cryovac advantage.

Theres no reason NOT to freeze cryovacced meat - specially if you travel with two fridges one for frozen goods and one for cold stores.

Freezing of cryovacced meat can stretch that "safe" period out to 6 months.

Don't ask me how I know this. No my name is not Garribaldi! LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 378469

Reply By: noelvac - Sunday, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:20

Sunday, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:20
Check out www.thepackagingcentre.com.au , best vacuum sealing site I have found, has everything and the bags are the cheapest I can find!
AnswerID: 381077

Sponsored Links