Precleaner in my new pride and joy?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:04
ThreadID: 7138 Views:2314 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I fully serviced my gq patrol diesel when i bought it last week and noticed that it didnt have a precleaner filter even though it had the housing for it...Should it have one in there?.... I do intend to travel dirt roads with bulldust and all the normal city driving also...

Regards........._____________________________________________

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:15

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 22:15
Get rid of the precleaner box, Me and Luke fixed mine on weekend, and it MAKES A GOOD DIFFERENCE not to have it there.

Look at the pipe on the bottom, its only 1inch thick, so VERY restrictive.

I'll get some pics of mine with the flex hose that goes from Airbox To Snorkel.. Brilliant!

FWIW, I have only used precleaner once, and it was a slug with it in.
AnswerID: 30629

Reply By: David N. - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 23:32

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 23:32
Yep. Agree 100%
Had the two (paper) filters on my Patrol when I bought it...
It smoked from day 1 and lacked grunt. The vacuum device which warned of a blocked filter (don't know what it's called) would go red each time the car was driven around the block.
Removed the prefilter and the car had more getup and go, less exhaust smoke, and the thingamajig on the manifold would not go red when driven around the block.
I now have a well serviced finer filter and couldn't be happier- the foam lasts about four years and then needs replacing as it starts to disintegrate.
Diesels need LOTS of air. Restriction is bad news....
Cheers
AnswerID: 30639

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 07:54

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 07:54
So you guys are saying to remove my pre-cleaner box and refabricate the piping to the snorkel?..... And to put a finer filter in the main box?....
Thanks for your feedback.... And i would like to see your photos please Truckster...
"yzf1000r1voxson@bigpond.com.au" (remove the yamaha)........._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:41

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:41
NET no COM... DUHHH.. sorry..._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:27

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:27
Yes get rid of the one behind the headlight all together. You dont need it.

Its more restrictive than a wife.
FollowupID: 21710

Reply By: Luke - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:26

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:26
Yep, I took out the swirlbox (cyclonic pre-cleaner thing) on my TB42 GQ on the weekend when we fitted my new snorkel replaced it with some 3 inch flex hose. :-) I needed to lose the swirlbox anyway to make room for my battery tray that's about to go in.

...same time as we worked the air hose on Truckster's GQ also.

It's running very well, with the new snorkel and swirlbox removed - no restrictions now and it can 'breath easy'. Will be interesting to note if there is any difference in fuel economy over the next few tanks....

I guess the moral of this story is that if you are going to remove your pre cleaner or swirlbox, it's important to remember to to check your air filter more regularly and replace/clean it when necessary, as it will be exposed to more dust/dirt without the pre cleaning system in place.
AnswerID: 30666

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:54

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:54
Do i need to fit a finer filter or will the original type do if they are checked regularly?...... My 2nd battery tray fits great with the precleaner assy in tact and at the moment around town i am getting 14.1 litres per 100kms.....or 20 miles per gallon....

I completed 585kms and put in 80litres to fill it again.

I would not be dissapointed if taking the precleaner out doesnt improve that figure..... I have just come from an EFI 4.2 (22litres per 100kms) fuel guzzler..._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Luke - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:38

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:38
I won't comment on the effectivenes of a finer filter, as I haven't had any experience with them - but there is no reason why you can't retain the standard filter if your happy with it - as long as you keep an eye on it (same for any other filter after removing the pre-cleaner).

Many people report excellent results with finer filters, and those who use them tend to swear by them (just my observation).

I've heard nearly as many say they tried them with no difference in performance/economy though and have gone back to the paper filter.

I guess it's a bit like the Hi-clone debate - do they work? Or make a difference?

Only way is to try I guess.

JMHO :-)
FollowupID: 21701

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:41

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 13:41
with all the money you now save on fuel you will be able to get heaps of goodies.
AnswerID: 30674

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 15:52

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 15:52
Too late Tony... Have a look at my check-list...I did it hard for a while getting all the goodies and now it is like retirement, just sitting back enjoying them all..
I could transfer all the stuff across from my EFI GQ..._____________________________________________

Reply By: colin - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:08

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:08
i have a 92 patrol 4.2 naturally aspired diesal running two finer filters, pre cleaner and main i was getting 12 ltrs to the hundred i have dual batteries and the pre cleaner box is still in same position. The finer filters are messy to service but that what makes them so efficient the oil gets lined along all the plumbing and filter box which adds to more area to pick up dust. I have now fitted a super charger and still run both filter boxes,, if you dont do a lot of running with dust the main filter will do the job but in the dust every thing helps including a pre cleaner on top of the snorkel. Col
AnswerID: 30785

Sponsored Links