3 way fridge

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 714 Views:8038 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have just purchased a (used) Jayco off road camper with a 3 way fridge - Electrolux RM 2310. We had heard that the 3 way fridges are somewhat less efficient than Engles or normal fridges, but we are not sure what we can expect. Ours seems to operate at about 18 degrees C less than outside temperature, i.e. if the temperature is 24 outside the temp in the fridge is 6; if it is 38 outside, the temp in the fridge is 20. It seems that it would be impossible to keeps things cold when there are several hot days in succession. Can anyone advise whether this is the norm or whether ours is more inefficient than it should be. If anyone has ideas as to how to improve the efficiency, they would be welcome. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris - Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Pauline,
We have two similar models to you and they are great down south, under normal conditions. They use very little gas, don't need solar panels etc,etc, but are very innefective as the weather heats up. They also draw lots of amps, so ours ONLY runs when the ignition is on, ie when we are driving. ( This works fine most of the time )
We found when the temperature is above 35C or so, they just can't cope, so we add ice when required to make them work. This suits us for the few times we are up Nth.
Despite their quirks, I love these little guys coz they cost basically nothing, nothin much can go wrong, and we can't afford an engel so we're jealous anyway! OH, and they don't heat up the inside of your car like some other types!

have fun!
regards
Chris
AnswerID: 1945

Follow Up By: Pauline - Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Chris
Yes, we're in the same boat - (can't afford an Engle). Must admit the fridge has been going better since we filled the freezer with frozen stuff. Someone suggested a solar-operated fan to take the hot air away when the sun's really beating down, have you heard of these? - they cost about $70 so we'll try to find out if they work before we buy one.
Thanks again
Pauline
FollowupID: 669

Reply By: Roger Lowry - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00
Pauline
The three way fridge does struggle when the weather is very hot. The best way to help your fridge is to install a 12volt fan to either exhaust hot air from the fridg condenser or to blow air past this condenser. I have put a fan in my fridge cavity exhausting hot air from the condenser to the outside creating a flow of fresh air past the rear of the workings. This fan is thermo controlled and can be purchased as a kit from most caravan outlets.
I have travelled the north of Aus several times and have found that keeping the freezer full and with the fan we can have Ice cream whenever we like. Limit the opening of the fridge door as much as possible will also help.
AnswerID: 1967

Reply By: Colin- Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00
Pauline - if you scroll down a little and read the Q/A about Chescold frig you may find the answers. Basically you need to improve the power lead, insulation and circulation - these changes to my 20YO Sadec 3 way have had dramatic improvement
AnswerID: 1978

Reply By: Greg - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00
I have just put a new 12v computer fan in my Electrolux 2310 as it moves the air around instaed of sitting still around compressor etc. I think it draws 2.6 watts which is 0.2amps i think. maybe get a solar one at $70.
Also check your seals on the door mine were not sealing so i put a hair dryer on them to make them soft and then the magnet inside the seal can move out to meet the main fridge body and seal up (maybe be some newspaper behind the seal to force it out). Put the hair dryer on after as well for another couple of minutes to help.
I have only just done this but the local fridge mechanic told me to do this
AnswerID: 2092

Sponsored Links