Fly in, rent 4WD, then what equipment?

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 16:13
ThreadID: 7152 Views:2509 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Dear friends in the shade,
I would much appreciate your advice.
In a few weeks, my lady and I shall fly to Alice, rent a Patrol diesel, and drive for 12 days between Sandy Blight Junction, Gunbarrel, and Anne Beadell Highways, mainly on the main tracks but also visiting some communities away from the more frequented routes.
I have driven a 4WD several times through outback country (C.York, Kimberley, Tanami). But this is the first time that I arrive by air, with limited baggage and limited time. Since the rental agent provides me with a SECOND SPARE TYRE but nothing else, what's your advice regarding equipment? Risk balanced against cost...
I assume (better find out) that the Patrol's tyres use tubes. Should I get a full tyre repair kit including bead breakers (and learn to use it beforehand)? Air pump? What do you consider minimum technical equipment for a 12 DAY TRIP ONLY RENTED Patrol?
Also, if the necessary equipment is heavy/big, I would have to get rid of it (sell it?) in Alice before we board our plane.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JimB - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:05

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:05
Ay Anchan,

Just quickly mate, my experience has been that out there the greatest risk of puncture is from Spinifex (unless you have the tyres over-inflated) so would recommend a decent pack of plugs. They're light and you can jam a few into a bigger hole. Water would be a good thing to take, few smaller containers rather than 1 big one that can be packed into gaps and crevices. Perhaps hire an epirb, HF radio or satphone. Generally, depending on the time you go, there seems to be a bit of traffic about on those roads (the main ones).

Maybe someone else through ExploreOz is heading that way at whatever time you're going.

JimB
AnswerID: 30682

Reply By: JimB - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:06

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:06
Ay Anchan,

Just quickly mate, my experience has been that out there the greatest risk of puncture is from Spinifex (unless you have the tyres over-inflated) so would recommend a decent pack of plugs. They're light and you can jam a few into a bigger hole. Water would be a good thing to take, few smaller containers rather than 1 big one that can be packed into gaps and crevices. Perhaps hire an epirb, HF radio or satphone. Generally, depending on the time you go, there seems to be a bit of traffic about on those roads (the main ones).

Maybe someone else through ExploreOz is heading that way at whatever time you're going.

JimB
AnswerID: 30683

Reply By: JimB - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:06

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:06
Ay Anchan,

JimB
AnswerID: 30684

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:08

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:08
Anchan, Patrol tyres are tubeless so buy a repair kit from a 4bee accessory shop , cheap & light. Do's the patrol have a radio if not see if you can rent 1 in Alice as it could save your life also should be able to buy a cheap 12 volt air compressor from some one like super cheap or repco , these things are a must. there are heaps of things you should have but as it's a rental you will have to trust to luck but let people know your movements from place to place & eta & contact last stop when you arrive at next location in case you come unstuck someone know's your whearabouts.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 30685

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:44

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 17:44
Risk Balanced against cost, so Dollar V life?
You could go with nothing and hope... If you have travelled before you should know what you need, adn dont need.

Water
Food
First Aid Kits
First Aid Book
Communications HF UHF
maps
GPS
tubless repair kits
Tubes
Tools
Spare radiator hoses?
Long range tank? If not jerry cans
compressor
Tyre plyers

theres a few

AnswerID: 30690

Follow Up By: sensei - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 18:17

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 18:17
Dollar vs Life...these types of comments need to be looked at..You need to be realistic and comments like that dont help
FollowupID: 21714

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 21:14

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 21:14
Its simple.

Dollar V Life.

You spend the $, or you risk your life, or worse, someone elses.

If your to much of a tight arse to buy the stuff to ensure you are safe, then you are putting someone elses life at risk, they are the INNOCENT ones that come lookin for the tight arse fool arent they?
FollowupID: 21733

Reply By: Anchan - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 00:29

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 00:29
Thank you, JimB, -BJ (Bob), and Truckster, for your prompt replies.
Water! No, I hadn't forgotten that. Maybe I should have been more precise: what CAR-RELATED (=mechanical etc.) equipment do you consider vital for a mere 12 DAY outback trip in a RENTED Patrol?
I shall get a Safety Seal Tubeless Tyre Repair Kit (recommended elsewhere on this forum) and an air compressor. But will that be enough, as far as (tubeless) tyres are concerned?
Radiator hose, yes, that sounds like good advice.
And some putty for fuel tank leaks. And insulating tape etc.
Of course (as sweat-rich experience has taught me), a jacking base plate, and some wood blocks and a strong shovel.
What else among car things am I missing?

Truckster: thanks for reminding me: indeed, GPS, Satphone, first aid kit, etc. are a matter of course. Anyway, they are compact and light stuff, no problem for our flight baggage.
AnswerID: 30741

Sponsored Links