Will water get inside fuel tank if .......

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:58
ThreadID: 7168 Views:1868 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Nissan Patrol GQ Diesel TD42 93

Hi, just wondering if anyone know what happen if we stuck our 4wd with water level above fuel filler end (fuel cap). I know there is a breather in fuel tank but i think it is not much higher than the fuel tank.

Would water get inside ? .......

Also, i found a very small pink color filter like stuff attach to one small hose come out from fuel tank. I have no info about this tiny thing. Is it a water trap filter or something else. If it is a filter, do i need to replace it from time to time ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 10:42

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 10:42
Unless you have fuel coming out of your tank when its full I'm sure water will not get in when going through deep crossings.

I think the so called filter you mention is a vapour condensor, I maybe wrong here , can someone else shed some light on this.
AnswerID: 30757

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:40

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 16:40
Hi IAMGQ
During a water crossing your bow wave would prevent the water level getting that high as to cover your filling point. If your vehicle was “sitting” in water that was over your fuel fill point, then you would probably have a few other problems to worry about than just water in the tank LOL.

I would think that water would get sucked in from the breather – but that’s just a guess. If you test it out let us know :-))
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 30794

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 20:21

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 20:21
There is a breather right next to the filler cap, if you look inside your right rear wheel arch, there is a guard there held on with 3 screws, remove it and check.

As for the tank, if your clamps are tight, it should be fine, shouldnt flood, but strange things happen sometimes.
AnswerID: 30814

Reply By: Stuart - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 22:35

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 22:35
The fuel systems of modern car are sealed. ie, no vapours are allowed to escape to the atmosphere. Therefore your cap will not let water in to the tank. If you look at the breather it should terminate into some kind of plastic bottle full of cavities. This, as well as the charcoal canister are designed to allow for expansion and to absorb the fuel vapours. Hope this helps. Can Anyone else elaborate?
AnswerID: 30920

Sponsored Links