3 way fridge and computer fan?

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 20:16
ThreadID: 7178 Views:4172 Replies:6 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I know absolutely nothing about refrigeration and have just purchased a fan to improve my Chescold RC1180. I was advised to buy a fan 120mm x 120mm and have done so.
It appears as though it may be a little large. (What size fans have otherr users used?)
Could anyone tell me from experience as to the exact location the fan should be placed?
How you fix to fan to the location.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 21:09

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 21:09
A fridges basic principal is as a heat exchanger - the heat you feel around the outside condensers is the heat being drawn out of the inside of the fridge thus lowering inside temp. It's a must that condenser vanes (thin radiator like strips) be kept free of dust and have max ait flow across them to give off the heat. Electric compressor fridge motors will stew in their own heat, run continuously and eventually burn out if they can't get rid of the heat. It's amazing how well fridges work in cold weather, it's obviously much harder for them in summer when you really need it.
Hot air rises, so if you can set up a fan under the vanes & make sure the fan has air to draw on it will help drive off the heat.
I think your Chescold is a three way unit. They are good on the gas and 240v but must be dead level to operate properly, therfore no good on 12v while travelling.
The fan will probably be 12v only and don't know that it will be much good. I've got a Chescold & its great for leaving in the camp on gas, have to turn it off overnight so things don't freeze up.
If/when I ever get a compressor type I'd rig up an air hose from outside or from air con to blow over the motor while travelling and have a fan as well to help when on battery/solar/gen power.
AnswerID: 30821

Follow Up By: Flash - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 23:53

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 23:53
It must be level when stationary, but movement is not a problem- your frig should work OK on 12 v if wiring is up to scratch.
FollowupID: 21834

Follow Up By: Martin - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 00:08

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 00:08
Can't agree with you Cocka! I've had a 3 way Finch for many years and it works perfectly on all 3systems. Been driving in Queensland in summer with no problems - mind you my Prado has good air con and the fridge sits near the rear outlet. Wouldn't even consider adding a fan to it as it works so well now - and it only cost $100 from a friend!
FollowupID: 21835

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:54

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:54
Intermittent movement/tilting such as that experienced while travelling will not effect the operation of the fridge.....unless you take all day to get to top of that very steep incline.

Must be fairly level when stationary. Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 21848

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:22

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:22
Martin yours is a Finch . . not a chescold.

Have a look on ANY forum and it will be recognised that a Chescold on 12v is "adequate" at best.

Gas and 240 she's a different ball game.
FollowupID: 21859

Reply By: Dingley - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 21:39

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 21:39
Cocka - you are spot on re the need to be level BUT my Chescold 3 way runs like a beauty while mobile on 12 volts ! Must be that moving around off-level is ok (motion may be good for the fluid etc.) while level is very important while static.
Cobes - I have put a 12 volt 100mm fan (from Jaycar) in the back of my 3 way - made a small bracket - down on the floor in the corner opposite the chimney. Runs air up at 45 degrees across the condensing tubes. I figure some air movement is better than none, and as I say, it has always been a good runner - might be even better now. We always travel dirt with the dash fan on high too - that may have ben a contributor up till now).Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 30824

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:56

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:56
Chris
Try a search 'here' on '3way' and/or 'Sadec'.
My 3 way is a Sadec 20 yo, and I have fitted a 12 v PC fan - I think it is smaller than 120mm ? Check the polarity as I think they only run in one direction ? - it's been a while since I added mine. I believe they draw very little power - should be written on the box?
I made a small bracket and 'clamped' the fan to the heat exchanger facing up at 45*. Remember to try and give the rear of the frig some space for air circulation - others have suggested a 'fresh air' supply which would help. Of course it needs to be kept out of any draft when on gas.
I have covered the outside of the frig with rubber backed self adhesive foil from Clark Rubber and run a 'heavy' wire direct from the battery. With these 3 mods the inside element now frosts up on 12v.
I also have a 'Projecta' cut out unit (from Kmart $20) that I plug in line when I leave the car for more than a few minutes - cuts power off at 11.6v (no flat battery!). Also run the car on a deep cycle battery - only recommended for smaller motors as they don't have as much cranking power!!
NB The frig only needs to be level while on gas - otherwise the flames heat doesn't go straight up the 'chimney'. On 12/240 the power just heats an element so not being level will not effect the temp.
Good luck
AnswerID: 30834

Follow Up By: Bob - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 00:17

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 00:17
Not quite right about the chimney Colin. The need to be level is so that the refrigerant will circulate correctly(by convection) There is no pump to push it around the cycle as in a compressor fridge.
FollowupID: 21836

Not quite right about the chimney Colin. The need to be level is so that the refrigerant will circulate correctly(by convection) There is no pump to push it around the cycle as in a compressor fridge.
FollowupID: 21837

FollowupID: 21838

FollowupID: 21839

FollowupID: 21840

Follow Up By: Bob - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 00:18

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 00:18
FollowupID: 21841

FollowupID: 21842

FollowupID: 21843

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:56

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:56
Do you stutter BOB! Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 21849

Follow Up By: Cobes - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:02

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:02
Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions.
I now have a better picture of how to install my fan.

Colin,
When you replaced your wiring did you still use the standard fridge connection or did you replace all wiring and bypass the original plugs?

Thanks
Chris.
FollowupID: 21853

Follow Up By: Martin - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:08

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:08
nnnno bbbbut iiiit wwwwwouldn't ssssend wwwwwwwwwwwhen IIIIII cccccccclicked
FollowupID: 21855

Reply By: David N. - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:58

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:58
Do Not Repeat Do Not run it off level except when moving....
not only will it not work, you will actually destroy your frig! Get a good bubble level.
It takes a while, but is cumulative. The solution inside overheats (due lack of circulation) then crystalises -causing blockage- and hey presto! Your frig becomes nothing but a good esky.
This problem is NOT covered under warranty and is one reason to be very carefull when buying secondhand. A friends son borrowed his dads Chescold (nearly new) and destroyed it in one long weekend by running it off level.
AnswerID: 30865

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 15:50

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 15:50
I have a double 'bubble level' fitted to the lid which I use to set it close as possible to level when on gas (put rocks under tyre etc). I don't bother too much when on 12v - I understand the theory your putting forward and it rings true if you happened to park on an acute angle.
I also occasionally pick the frig up and turn it over through 360* - I've been told this helps to circulate the liquid stop blockages ? The frig is 20yo and has been checked once - last year - some dirt in the gas inlet (good idea to cover this pipe when not being used !)

Chris - No & yes !
I am using a Hella type male/female plugs - similar looking to cig lighter plug but has a firm, more 'positive' fit! There are No of option for plug type - anything but the OE - The standard in car Cig lighter female plug wiring is not up to the current drawn by a 3 way frig!
Remember to fit a fuse in the line from the battery - as close to the battery as possible! I replaced the wiring coming from the frig as well.

The fan I used is 8cm Dia - smaller than the one mentioned before, and is connected straight to the terminal box in the back of the frig.
FollowupID: 21884

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 20:04

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 20:04
It's not just a theory, Colin.
You will destroy your Frig if you run it off level for too long, trust me!
As I said. it's OK whilst driving as the constant motion keeps the fluid moving.
The mates son I was talking about earlier ruined the his old man's nearly new Chescold on 240v by running it off level! You'll do the same on Gas or 12v if run off level for too long.
It's something even Electrolux will tell you if you ask the right questions to the right person.
It's also just one of the reasons why I prefer a compressor (Danfoss) frig, despite the fact that I still have an old Chescold 1180-- used very little these days.
I say again- Do NOT run your 3-way frig off level unless moving.
FollowupID: 21901

Reply By: ThePublican - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 18:38

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 18:38
Check the archives under fridges and chescold,,,you will be amazed at the performance you can get from a fully set up 3way,,,hella plugs are a definite improvement over the standard cig plug ,but for best solid removeable connection " Brittax " is the go for upto 20amps,, any more than that go for anderson plugs.
AnswerID: 30961

Reply By: Terry - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:45

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:45
Chris

For what its worth, you want the fan setup to draw air through the condenser, set it up in front of the condenser and exhaust it out. That way your getting rid of the warm air inside the unit and creating a vector draught through the unit and across the fins of the condenser. Use a brushless fan around 0.40 amps, your sizing is about right, good luck.
AnswerID: 31130

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)