Prospect

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 19:48
ThreadID: 7209 Views:1527 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there...can anyone tell me how I can bring a wire through from under the bonnet through the firewall to the dash on a 2000 Prado GXL?? I can't find a way...

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ed - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:11

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:11
Should be a dirty great big grommet there somewhere where the main loom enters the cabin... Not familiar with Prado's, but on the Patrol (GU), this is under the brake booster.. also another on LHS behind wheel-arch.. Patrol also has a blank grommet in the middle of the firewall..
If the Prado has no blanked-off holes, you should be able to feed a wire through beside the main loom, otherwise, just poke a (small) hole in the rubber grommet & feed the wire through that..
Hope this helps, Good luck!
Ed. C.
AnswerID: 30966

Reply By: Member - Peter - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:56

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:56
Ed got it in one.
You will see where other wiring runs through the firewall. Use a piece of wire with some dishwashing detergent on it to make a SMALL (note the word SMALL) hole in the rubber grommet under the other wires.
BUT make sure you have someone under the dash with a torch so they can see where the hole is.
You'll manage.
Remember, gently does it.
A bull at a gate can damage quite a bit.

Haldo
AnswerID: 30971

Reply By: Willie - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 21:25

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 21:25
Drill a neat little hole...........fit a rubber grommet into the hole..........pass the wire through the grommet......easy.......

Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30973

Reply By: Dingley - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:42

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:42
Drill a hole - ? When I went to try that in the Jack, couldn't find anywhere that a cordless drill could be set up AND I could ascertain what was on the other side of the FW. Drill by all means, but be damn sure you know where that drill bit is going. Loom grommet method fixed me up.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 30982

Reply By: yarda - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 14:30

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 14:30
hi mg , In the past i used to design and install a lot of high powered car stereo systems etc. (still do a bit) and have a set of wire grommet" pokers" that are nothing more than pieces of aluminium tube with one end smooth and the other end chamfered about 4 inches long in various diameters. all you do is pierce a small hole in one of the existing grommets and using a bit of silicone / detergent etc work the pipe through from whatever side is easiest. you can then run wire through with ease to where you need it. just remember to remove the pipe from the grommet before you terminate the end of the cable !! The grommet will then re-form around the cable perfectly.
When i did some work for a while with a Holden dealer they had not seen the idea and always struggled to get wiring through the firewall, they loved it !! we ended up making heaps of tool sets using old antenna masts and they have never looked back. I have used this system for many years with total sucess with wiring from 14g up to 4g wiring (huge) and love it.. Hope this helps with your future projects.. Brad
AnswerID: 31675

Sponsored Links