Googs track -Gawler ranges access

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:49
ThreadID: 7220 Views:1671 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we are planning a trip from Ceduna up Googs Track to the rail line & then along to Kingoonya & then down through the Gawler ranges over the Sept hols.
I noticed that in road conditions it advises that the road west or Tarcoola is now a private road. Does this include the section between Malbooma & Tarcoola? As we will have to travel in this part to get to Kingoonya.
If anyone has any info about this trip or details on whether I am allowed on this part of the track I greatly appreciate it

Thanks,

PMKoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:11

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:11
Paul,

All the roads you describe are open to the public. The road west of Malbooma is supposedly private property of Southern Rail.

Check the Archives and Trek notes reports on both Gawler Ranges and Googs on this site.

There are no facilities at Tarcoola or Kingoonya apart from Toilets. There is a small National Parks campsite at the southern tip of Lake Gairdner. The track in has mega bulldust.

Have fun.

Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 31026

Follow Up By: Member - Paul H - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:06

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:06
Willie, thanks for the info. I had already checked the trek note & road conditions, thats where it says the road from Tarcoola west now private.
Just wanted to confirm with someone who has been there. Don't want to step on anyones toe's.
once again thanks,

PMK off to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
FollowupID: 22039

Reply By: Member - Leigh- Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:31

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:31
Hi Paul. Just back last Friday from a trip that included travel from Glendambo across to Malbooma then down Goog's to Ceduna. There are no signs indicating travel along the rail line is not permitted. We encountered no other vehicles whatsoever! We stayed away from any assets resembling Transfield ownership. Camped at Mt Finke and at Goog's Lakes, the latter being highly recommended! Sand flag used as dune peakes quite obscured. Track across to Malbooma from Glendambo very good, 80-90k's quite comfortable. I used the Westprint map which also contains additional info that I found most handy (a few quotes to the travelling party almost left them with a sense that I had real knowledge!!)

We also travelled the section from Forrest to Rawlinna. The lady of the house at Forrest recommended that we stay a respectable distance from the line as the train drivers get a bit anxious with travellers standing or being parked/driving too close to the line. At nearly 2k's long and mega tones in weight I fully understood the rationale for her advice. Travel along this section was, in contrast, slow and requiring a higher level of concentration.

I saw no evidence nor any indications generally that travel along your proposed route was restricted. Our approach was to do nothing to draw attention to ourselves and to generally keep clear of Transfield's operations. They have a lot invested in keeping their operation alive and provided this is respected I fail to see any problems for future travellers. It was a shame to see so many of the old train worker's residences trashed, particularly the last remaining house structure at Loongana. Not sure why or by whom but unfortunate nevertheless. Kingoonya and Tarcoola quite good in comparison.

Anyway I hope this helps and enjoy Goog's track.

PS my little bloke (7 y/o) got a large train toot and a wave from a passing train driver and his assistant (at Haig) in response to his wave.......100 metres off from the line. Made his day and says something about our presence!!??!
AnswerID: 31160

Follow Up By: Member - Paul H - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:25

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:25
Hi Leigh, Thanks for the info, sounds like you had a great trip. Makes me even more eager to get on with ours. (were heading off this saturday). We were planning on spending a night at Mt Finke & Googs lake, so it good to hear your comments.
As we travel we generally keep to ourselves so as not to disturb "locals" so we'll take your advice on board & continue this.
We also have a 7 y/o She's really looking forward to the trip, as usual.

once again thanks for your reply,

PMkNext trip please..............................................
FollowupID: 22128

Sponsored Links