mail re-direction

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:06
ThreadID: 7237 Views:1799 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
What do people in general do when they go travelling around Australia, for a year -or even more. We're giving up our (rental) house & job and all other stuff and don't really want to 'bother' friends with our mail, all our family is abroad..... any suggestions? Opening a PO Box seems a costly thing and even then we can't really access our mail unless we get them to send it to...? Wherever we are on the way I suppose. Any ideas / suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:28

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:28
Hi there is a re-direction service available called Landbase Australia...haven't used this service myself, but will be considering it next year..the web site is

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lbase/index.html

LynLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

AnswerID: 31089

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:02

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:02
HI I work for Aussie Post and we have customers going away all the time. What most people do is have their mail re-directed to a friend and leave some express bags (which are pre-paid) with them and when they get to or near to a main town they let their friends know which town and they send it to them c/o Post Office.Another option is to have your mail held at the Post Office where you live, for any period of time( up to one year),which can be extened from any Post Office in Australia if you are staying away longer than a year. All these services cost.
Hope this is some help.

Have a safe trip

Michelle

Next trip please..............................................
AnswerID: 31106

Reply By: Member - Roger - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:12

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:12
As an avid traveller,
I have had plenty of experience with mail.
1. Do not get the post office to redirect your mail as they often bugger up, trust me I have learnt the hard way.
2. If you cannot get a friend to get your mail and redirect it to you the only way you can get your mail ok is the redirection service aforesaid.
I arrange for my mail to be sent ahead to the next large town I am going to allowing at least a week for it to arrive. I.E. I work out roughly where I will be in about 7 working days ring my forwarding person and get them to send it by express mail, most times it arrives at the post office before I do however now and again one has to wait a couple of days. Hope this helps.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 31107

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:49

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:49
Agree 100% re item 1.
We definitely DO NOT use Australian Post to hold or redirect our mail.
They have never got it right yet !!!!!!King Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
FollowupID: 22092

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:05

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:05
I would just get it sent to friends or relos, you can trust them to forward things, otherwise you could end up like a mate, with warrants out for his arrest due to unpaid fines, when he never got the mails.. He found out the hard way they wantd him to pay

ymmv
AnswerID: 31124

Reply By: macca - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:23

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 21:23
Even though the mail box is a costly exercise ,we have one and when were away, which is often, a rello clears it for us and forwards it on to a designated POffice. we do a mail redirection to the box before we leave and are comforted in knowing there is no mail hanging out of the mail box at home. Most of our peoples now know to use the PO box now . A mate used Landline and it worked well for him too
AnswerID: 31171

Sponsored Links