Nissan 4.5 TPI Switch - what is it?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 15:00
ThreadID: 7261 Views:1600 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I can acquire a 4.5 at the right price for the GQ, but missing tpi switch - sounds expensive and may be why it is cheap. Anyone shed any light on it

Thanks Red Rover
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andy - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:21

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:21
Yes I think I can. I have the same vehicle and it has an operating TPI switch. The Transfer case Pressurised Indifferential is the control unit that hydraulically engages 4WD and low range when you activate the switch/lever depending on the model you have. My hydraulic system failed and they tried to talk me into getting a replacement from Nissan at a cost of around $2000.00 fitted. I shopped around and found an ex Nissan factory mechanic from Brisbane who had a lead and got me new one and fitted it for $1200.00. I have heard that there is a mechanical version of this available as an aftermarket product that works as a kind of a servo unit that is remotely controlled worth $700.00. I was talked out of this as apparently they can fail when immersed in water (ie river crossings). If the switch is missing you may only be able to drive in 2wd which will limit the capability of your vehicle. Andy
AnswerID: 31251

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:43

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 20:43
MMmmmm my first thought when i read this was - Throttle Position Indicator, that fits on the butterfly and tells the computer how much fuel to inject.
Will you be running efi on it?
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 31265

Follow Up By: Red Rover - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:35

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:35
Yes that would be it, it comes off the side of the throttle body. Not as dear as i thought around $170 depending on year - genuine too - makes for a change
FollowupID: 22257

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:54

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:54
How about the tyre pressure indicator. Ha Ha!!!!!
AnswerID: 31289

Sponsored Links