dual batteries for 2.8D hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:38
ThreadID: 7264 Views:4429 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at putting a second battery behind the headlight on the passenger side of my dual cab. I have talked to a few people and I have heard the suggestions of putting the second battery in the ute, or replacing the existing battery with two smaller ones. I have also heard of instances where the air filter has been relocated to give enough room to install a second battery behind the headlight, that is a similar size to the original one. Has anyone seen any examples of this or heard any comments about attempting this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:59

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 19:59
gday dave.
i see heaps of hiluxs at work and lots of them have the second battery mounted
to the chassis behind the cab im not sure if its a good or bad thing but theres lots about.jamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 31259

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 22:05

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 22:05
How you goen Dave,was looking at the same mod in our 4 Runner but couldnt get a picture or any info myself.But while in Mataranka recently i met up with a chap who had the mod done.From memory you have to move the power steering fluid bottle and alter the intake/outlet on the airbox itself.He said it was relativly easy to do but i havent done it to our 4Runner yet,easiest way i think would be move the power steering fluid bottle,cut the inlet/outlet of the airbox ,mount the airbox in and braze the in-outlets back on(sounds easy),Good luck.
AnswerID: 31280

Follow Up By: Dave - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:03

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:03
I have seen some pics on the piranha website and also talked to the guys there recently. They have two different pics, one with the airbox moved back and the other with the airbox tipped up 90degrees, so that the filter can be changed from the top. Can you remember how the airbox was mounted in the 4runner? I have also heard of instances where a surf airbox has been used. Was the airbox in the 4runner the original one?
FollowupID: 22267

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:59

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:59
Dave,the airbox was the original one and mounted with the lid facing the firewall.Ive also seen pictures of the vertically mounted a/boxes but yet to see one "in the flesh".
FollowupID: 22325

Reply By: Hiluxer - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:04

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:04
Hi there

There is a dual cradle available from Pirahna for dual Batteries for the 2.8lt, I put one in my 2.8. Had to change both batteries though and the second one is quite small, it depends on how what you are going to hook up to it. The teay option would certainly give you the option of having a larger capacity and you would not replace your main battery as it is to big for the new cradle.

I now have a 3lt and pulled the boom box out to fit the second battery, quite happy with that.

Cheers
AnswerID: 31292

Follow Up By: barnsy - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:05

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:05
should have read 'Tray option'
FollowupID: 22250

Follow Up By: Dave - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:06

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:06
I have considered this option but ideally I would like to be able to keep the original size battery, and get a second battery of a similar size. The main reason I am looking at dual batteries is for a winch, so if i can keep the big batteries it would be heaps better.
FollowupID: 22268

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:18

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:18
Dave

I have the 2nd battery located in the tray on the drivers side. I did look into fitting it into the engine bay, but time and $$$ were a problem and I needed the job done before i went away. However, having the battery in the tray meant it was closer to the fridge (mounted in tray) and inverter(mounted behind the back seat). It hasn't been much of an inconvenience. If I had the time and money I would have attempted to get it fitted into the engine bay.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 31295

Follow Up By: Dave - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:09

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:09
Do you have a tray or a ute? I have a ute and it was suggested to cut a hole in the floor and mount the second battery there. Not an ideal option for a ute in my opinion.
FollowupID: 22269

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:32

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:32
I have the standard back with sides and tailgate(ie not flat top) and the battery is mounted in a battery box next to the wheel arch on the drivers side.
FollowupID: 22270

Reply By: mrdesmo - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:46

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:46
G'Day Dave,
I just sold my 95 2.8D and went through the same drama with setting up a dual battery. After much research, I came to the conclusion on why you can't buy a cradle (ARB TJM etc, just ask them..) for the setup, its because the inner guards won't hold the weight of the battery without splitting. The metal is just not strong enough...too thin etc. My mate bought a 90 model Hilux brand new, and after a bit of off road the inner guard had cracked where it is welded to the firewall. (Luckily had it fixed by warranty). However in my old 85 model Hilux I built my own cradle tha put the two batteries together with a bracket that bolted to the chassis rail, and took most of the weight.
Back to the 2.8D though, I ended up putting it in the ute, I had a neat toolbox made out of fairly heavy guage tin and partioned off a section in which to mount the battery, and used some heavy duty welding lead (multi strand) from the main battery to the smart solenoid which was all mounted neatly in the battery partition along with a fuse box and fridge sockets. From memory it was around 32mm cable I bought from an electrical wholesaler (by the meter) and it gave bugger all voltage drop. The rest of the toolbox stored all my recovery gear and tools/spares.

Cheers
AnswerID: 31324

Follow Up By: Dave - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:26

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:26
Thanks for the idea. I have found that piranha do make and sell a cradle for the 2.8D. They were fairly reluctant to tell me too much about how to relocate the airbox to accomodate the new battery. I have heard that they may have dusted the motor during one of their installations and that could be why they aren't promoting it anymore.
FollowupID: 22274

Reply By: mrbuck - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 21:58

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 21:58
gday dave,

Well mate I actually have a dual battery system, with 2 full size 100amp/hr battery in my hilux 2.8D, I had to rearange the filter canister inlet pipe,mounting brackets,and used a lancruiser inlet manifold hose. I made a battery tray that sits on the guard but is mounted to the chassis.
So now the 2nd battery sits pretty much identical as the original battery, and the filter canister is directly behind it running horizontally with the lid facing forwards,So to clean the filter I have to remove the battery first.(thats no big drama).But I dont have power steering, so I dont Know how that would affect the modification.

Yes I was a bloody HEADACHE but it can be done.
Goodluck.
AnswerID: 31920

Sponsored Links