Prado

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:01
ThreadID: 7270 Views:1640 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again...a few questions for Prado owners...I have just bought a 2000 GXL and need to fit my uniden UHF...there doesn't seem to be many places to fit it so it looks half decent...any ideas? Also, is there a quick fix for aerial placement? I'm planning on getting a poly bar some time soon but need to install the radio prior to a trip in October...I'm not wanting to do anything too permanent or expensive...any ideas would be good.

I'm also selling my 1993 NH SWB GLS Pajero if anyone is interested....I'm in SA.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:06

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:06
Quick fix is to install the radio on the passengers side of the console, forward a little to allow for seat movement forward. Its a good position that just requires two self tappers into the console plastic.

Longer term solution is to replace the doubleDIN Radio/cassette/CD with a singleDIN Radio/CD and mount a DIN size UHF (Like the Uniden UF 088). Microphone can hang on a hook just below the aerial buttons in both cases. Alternative position is below the ashtray in that pocket - can bend back two metal bits for a perfect fit.

Only polace for teh aerial IMHO is gutter mount on the drivers side. Use a swing down bracket and purchase a $12 stubbie as well. I use the stubbie most of the time and it has an excellent range when roof mounted and is of course unbreakable. Run the cable forward in the gutterby removing and replacing the black gutter trim. Enter the cabin through the rubber grommet that takes the wiring to the drivers side door. Removing the drivers side kick plate will give excellent access and run cable across to radio and fit PL259 plug. Power to the radio can be easily taken from the LHS cigarette socket which works on ACC.

Cheers
Phil
Prado TD
AnswerID: 31302

Follow Up By: Prospect - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:24

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:24
Phil...you're a champ...thanks!! I might have some more Prado questions for you in time!!
FollowupID: 22266

Reply By: Spanner - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:17

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:17
I got a dash pod. Not cheap but make a very neat job. I've got a GME tx4400 mounted in it and a Garmin GPS176c.
AnswerID: 31304

Sponsored Links