Sub-tank clean out

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:13
ThreadID: 7273 Views:1834 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I've just recently taken out my sub-tank from my landcriuser diesel, I've never used the tank once, and the previous owner says that there could be anything in it and he never used it either. I'm looking to get it cleaned, i want to clean it myself, but what with? Keeping in mind, oil, water or dirt could be in it! Is there a cleaning agent i can buy?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:34

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:34
why would there be anything in it if it has been a sealed tank?
I would just pour some diesel in it or whatever your are using and swish it around and see what comes out....
Thats just me.. You will have lots of different ideas come your way...
Regards...._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Shawry - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:29

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:29
Voxson,
Thanks for the insight. The tank has no cap, so i wouldn't have a clue whats in there.
FollowupID: 22275

Follow Up By: ogray - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:53

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:53
Hi Voxson,
What model are these sub tanks installed into. I have a HJ60 '85. Are they installed in these? If so, where is it installed.

Owen
FollowupID: 22310

Reply By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:39

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:39
My concern would be rust. If you or the previous owner haven't put any fuel in it then it would be very dry inside, which would allow for the formation of rust. The manual states that you should keep some fuel in it to prevent this.

As to cleaning it I would proberly just hose it out and see what comes out and then let it dry throughly before refilling. JMHO.

Karl
AnswerID: 31314

Follow Up By: floyd - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:56

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:56
dont ever ever ever put water into a fuel tank. It is almost impossible to get all of the moisture out (think of how small the holes are). When air and water get together in an empty tank they breed rust. Just flush it out with the fuel that was put into it when new and leave a bit in it to slosh around and prevent rust. If you are reusing it in a car then replace the filter and it will pull out any of the disloged rust and crap when fuel is pulled through. If the rust or crap is bad then you may have to change the filter a couple of times in order to get it all.
FollowupID: 22285

Reply By: floyd - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:04

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:04
You would be better off leaving the tank in, half filling it with diesel, driving around for a couple of weeks (using the main tank) and then drain all of the contents out via the drain plug and have a look in it and see what is there. Any contaminents will be evident (drain it into a clear conatainer and you will get a great look). Half fill again with clean fuel drive around again and drain again. Then fill up and add an additive from a fuel and oil shop for cleaning. Put in a new fuel filter and trap everything left that comes from the sub tank. Change the filter and run again. It should clean everything out. If the tank has been left open in an area that has salty air then the chance of rust will be high and you may never get it out.
AnswerID: 31336

Reply By: Hughesy - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:23

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:23
Shawry,
Not answering your question but are you interested in selling it since you've never used it? If so what model is it out of and what state are you in? I don't have one in my LC ute and are looking for one.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 31340

Reply By: Prado Boy - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 21:32
I'd rip the thing out and replace it (if you want to) with a Long Ranger or similar. Prices for LR varies depending on model but I'd say you'd get away with a new (much bigger) tank for under $1200 - as against couple thousand plus for a new donk...

Would help the touring range - if that's what you're into.

If money's tight then I go with the ideas of the guys saying half fill it and run around with it for a week or two then drain, repeat, then chuck on new fuel filter (cheap as) and see what it catches. Course - if there is significant rust in it - the LR option mentioned above might be the best way to go if you absolutely have to have the fuel capacity (of the sub tank). Don't risk a dodgy fuel supply in a diesel engine.

Cheers,
Prado Boy
AnswerID: 31366

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:07

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:07
Shawry,
Take it to a plumber that has a CCTV pipe inspection system and he can have a look inside it for you. You can even get a video of it.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 31407

Reply By: Brett - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:02

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:02
Fit a CAV or Racor sediment / water trap filte to your vehivle, you know the ones with the see through bowl at the bottom. 3/4 fill the aux tank and as the fellow above suggested drive around for a week or two then switch over to the suspect tank. If after a few km the bowl is showing something unusual, you have crap in the tank. if there is nothing in there then keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.

If you use a 2 micron filter the fuul coming out of it will be a whole lot cleaner than the fuel coing in.

Caterpiller use 2 micron filters on their diesel engines.
AnswerID: 31601

Sponsored Links