Knobs, Geocaches and Soaks

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 03, 2009 at 19:41
ThreadID: 72740 Views:8660 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
The Fair Maid doesn't get out much at the moment. The poor thing just sits in the garage with a cold heart. I did sense that she was ready for an outing, so at my suggestion she jumped at the opportunity, and I knew she wouldn't let me down.

She took me from Perth, past Laverton, to Nichols Knob and Mt. Feldtmann on a 6 night, 6 day outing. The pressure was on her to perform properly and flawlessly, as I had left no margin for error and I had to start back at work last Thursday. This is the story.

I left Perth 24th September after work and headed east along the main highway, before having tea at Tammin and stayed at a motel in Merredin. Good old 70 year old mother dear took the passenger seat, she hadn't really been right out in the sticks before - she was about to find out all about it.

The next day had breaky at Southern Cross before stopping at Karalee Rock to have a look at the dam and the dam supply.

Image Could Not Be Found

It was quite impressive with walls on the rocks diverting the water to the dam.

Stopped at Kalgoorlie briefly and went up to Mt. Charlotte the end of the Golfields Pipeline.

Image Could Not Be Found

We stopped at Menzies for lunch. I notice that the Roadhouse is still for sale but has had a bit of a facelift.

Image Could Not Be Found

Kept going to Leonora and bought a loaf of bread before continuing to Laverton. Fueled up there and kept going for a few Kilometres until the Checkpoint. There was supposed to be a geocache there but I couldn't find it. We decided to set up camp there and I set Mum's tent up whilst she cooked tea :)) .

Image Could Not Be Found

Now it was Saturday 26th September 2009 and we headed up the Great Central Road. We pulled off shortly to have a look for Deeba Rockhole but couldn't fnd it. Anyone else found it? Then looked around for Bubbles Rockhole which we think we found covered by an old metal hinged door.

Image Could Not Be Found

Then we visited the nearby Giles Breakaway. The was a geocache there which we found easily. Nice views from there and worthy of another look sometime when I and the Fair Maid had more time.

Image Could Not Be Found

Just up the road we had a look for Bullrush Rockhole. We found a couple of small dry rockholes but were not convinced they were the one. We left up the road again but did notice a track leading in that could possibly lead to the rockhole, but continued on.

At 9:25am turned up the Lake Wells Road a gravel road in very good condition. We got in the vicinity of Point Pater Rockhole and had a look around for it. We could find no water and this small rocky depression in a creek was the best we could come up with.

Image Could Not Be Found

Had some morning tea nearby before heading up the road again. We saw a Wild Dog and two older puppies running down the side of the road. We stopped for a look. The puppies ran away into the bush and the father dog stay nearby us, I guess to keep an eye on us whilst his kids got away.

Image Could Not Be Found

Now we kept going until we reached a suitable northing to go in a try and reach Nichols Knob. I had been to Nichols Knob in 2003 on the quad bike and in someways I wish I had it now as it was considerably more difficult to traverse the landscape in the 4WD. No harm in trying though :) The terrain was a mixture of Mulga belts along with Spinifex clearings and this type of travelling was about to kill the paint job.

Image Could Not Be Found

The were a number of animal tracks around and we followed 1 track until we came to a depression in the ground quite dry at 27 39 7.9S 122 56 8.0E.

Image Could Not Be Found

There was a significant point in the distance so we headed over (through the bush etc.etc.) for a look. In hindsite I think this may have been Gibson Hilll, though I wasn't to sure at the time.

Image Could Not Be Found

I climbed it and admired the view over the surrounding landscape. After lunch we keep going onto Nichols Knob but headed first to have a look at the continuation of the breakaways of which Gibson Hill? is a part of. By following animal tracks we again came to a depression, also dry located at 27 35 54.25E 122 59 37.3E .

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

We headed on towards Nichols Knob now which we arrived at around 3:00pm. I had left a geocache here in 2003 which has for the last 3 and a half years been Australia's offically oldest unfound Geocache. Nichols Knob Geocache Page

Image Could Not Be Found

We found the Geocache, in a slight state of disrepair and replaced the container and put a few items in it which may make the Geocache attractive for the more Adventerous geocacher.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Nichols Knob is one of two small hills in there area and was named by Frank Hann after his camel Nichol who died there in 1908. David Carnegie passed by the other hill in 1896 on his Epic expedition. It was here, at the Red Rock of Carnegies that we camped for the night.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Walking around at night here with the torch make you realise just how many spiders there are around as their eyes reflect the torch light. After breakfast in the morning we checked the minimum overnight temperature 1.9 degrees, and left the area around 8:45am and headed to the east north east for a few kilometres.

Here we would try and find Carnegies camp 11 of August 2 1896. There is a belt of Gum trees here that he would more than likely would have camped at and we search around the area with not much luck. I had predicted prior that the chances of finding anything here was about 2-3% and I was right.

We then started to head for Mt. Feldtmann. This was a hill about 15 kilometres away. The terrain seemed just a little bit easier than the trip to Nichols Knob from the west.

Image Could Not Be Found

Mt. Feldtmann was actually a poor excuse for a mount. It seems to be just a series of wide ridges sticking out of the ground. The kangaroos were numerous, and I wondered where they drank from.

Image Could Not Be Found

We parked the 4wd on the southern side and proceed to explore the area. It had about 3 or 4 peaks and we climbed them all. We found an old cairn on one of them that looked like it had been placed there quite some time ago. By whom I wonder?

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

After we had explored the mount we had lunch where we had parked the Ute. We heard some birds chirping above us. We looked up and saw a small bird attacking a hawk. Upon closer inspection the hawk had a 2 foot snake hanging from its beak. The smaller bird was trying to grab it. The hawk flew so high that the smaller bird could not reach it and then flew off into the distance with the snake. I have never seen anything like this before; an amazing thing to witness.

We started to make our way to the Uhr Soak area. It was difficult to get away from the Mt. Feldtmann area as there were low long lines of ridges in our path. A few kilometres away we came to a track. Excellent!!! The track was heading east / west so we could try either way at this time as we were heading south.

We headed east and the track was Ok and started to head in a northern direction into the middle of nowhere. I remember in 2003 on the quad bike coming across a track south of the Ernest Giles Range and I wonder if it is the same track?? This was certainly the wrong way at this time so we went the other way and soon we were heading in a direction that was almost spot on to where we wanted to go.

Image Could Not Be Found

Halfway on the track between Mt. Feldtmann and Uhr Soak we came across a bridge type formation carved out of rock which was similar to London Bridge near Sandstone. We headed in for a closer look.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Here I noticed that there where numerous dead Kangaroos in the shade of rocks. I had noticed this elsewhere as well. I wonder whether they come to these shaded areas to die or whether they just die anywhere and as we are more likley to see them at these places just see them here dead. Not sure on that one.

We kept heading down the track and passed Mt. Warren and Mt. Cornell before coming to the Uhr Soak road, which is the track heading north from Jutson Soak.

We arrived at Uhr Soak at around 3:00pm and set up camp. This place was most interesting. We found the tree blazed by D'arcy Uhr in 1901. It had fallen over but the blazed was still visible.

Image Could Not Be Found

The actual soak at the head of a small valley nearby appeared dry but would probably yield some water if one dug deep enough.

Image Could Not Be Found

There are some interesting rock placements around the area. Here are some pictures:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Uhr Soak was supposed to have been discovered by D'arcy Uhr in 1901. I am therefore a little confused by this inscription on a nearby rock presumably put there by prospector Billy Frost:

Image Could Not Be Found

On Monday morning, 28 Septemebr 2009 I decided to do a more thorough walk around the area starting with a climb to the top of Mt. Cumming.

Image Could Not Be Found

After admiring the view I did a long walk around the southern base toward the valley that contains the soak. I saw a shadow cast by a small leaning rock and it caught my eye. This is what I found there:

Image Could Not Be Found

I'm not sure what it means but it surely is of some significance. I then wandered back to our camped and then we departed to the south.

Our destination was Jutson Soak for now which we reached (we think) after passing a dead camel on the track.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

After searching for a geocache near the soak and finding it we then headed back onto the Great Central Road and then started to head for Lang Rock to the south of the road. We then came across a family of Aboriginals who were out having a family kangaroo hunting day. We spoke for about 5 minutes then we headed in different directions. We arrive at Lang Rock shortly after and had some lunch there. We admired the inscriptions at the rock for a while, and there were many of them some pictured here:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

This one gave me a laugh - I can just imagine his rescuers waiting whilst he finishes his inscription.

Image Could Not Be Found

After Lang Rock I headed west to have a look at a waterhole marked on the map near Mt. Shenton. I heard Exploroz visitor Watery (Peter) on the radio directing some of his party toward Rutters Grave. I spoke to him and agreed to meet him there, a few kilometres from where I was.

Image Could Not Be Found

He was with a group of about 6 or 7 vehicles on a father son trip which would hopefully take them up the Hunt Oil Road and back into Wiluna. We chatted for a while and then headed off again, back down the Great Central Road towards Laverton.

When we passed the track that was near Bullrush Rockhole we drove in a found the rockhole at the end of the short track.

Image Could Not Be Found

After that we headed into Laverton and checked into a motel there and had a decent dinner at the pub.

In the morning we decided to go and visit Hanns camp but made a couple of incorrect assumptions. The first was that the camp would be signposted. As the camp was pictured in the brochures I would have thought it would be. It wasn't. Second assumption was that the coords that I got from the Exploroz site would be correct. They were not. We spent hours trying to get into a place that wasn't even there. There was a new haul road being put in the area and almost got ourselves into trouble using the road. What a waste of time I thought as we headed off to the tourist centre. They gave us the correct co-ords (I think). They are 28 34 21S 122 29 41E. They knew of the new haul road and said access would probably be now restricted and that a new road would probably have to be put into the site. I didn't spend any more time in the area and left town.

We headed out on the old road and stopped in at John Aspinall grave and had some lunch.

Image Could Not Be Found

After that we stopped in at Kookynie for a quick beer, as the only customers. Then we had a look a Niagra Dam before heading into Kalgoorlie for the night.

After leaving Kalgoorlie on Wednesday just before 7:00am in the morning we arrived back in Perth a couple of hours after lunch where the Fair Maid was once again garaged, much to her dissapointment.

The Fair Maid's consumption was 6.95 km per litre or 14.39 litres per 100 km onroad. Offroad consumption was 4.01 km per litre or 24.91 litres per 100 km.

The Fair Maid managed to complete the entire six day trip without getting a single puncture, arriving back in Perth with the same air in the tyres that it left with.

A very enjoyable six day trip though I was pretty tired at the end of it.

Cheers
Alan

Here is a video of the section of the trip from Lake Wells Road to around Mt. Feldtmann. No Oscars available here but it will give an indication of the landscapes.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Oct 03, 2009 at 21:02

Saturday, Oct 03, 2009 at 21:02
Alan

Good read, and sounds like a good litle trip, Your mum sounds fitter than me :)

Pitty about Hanns Camp, we have driven past it not even knowing it was there.

Had a look at the tracks you came acroos, on Google earth, there are a couple out there and go a fare way north.

Good video as well.

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 385639

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 19:29

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 19:29
Hi Richard, thanks

I like how you can overlay ozi-plots straight into Google Earth now. I've had a quick look at the track; it looks good for a long way.

Hanns Camp, well good to save something for next time.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653297

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:33

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:33
Going to puy ozi-plots, up on PlotSwap?

Cheers
Richard
FollowupID: 653310

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 09:42

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 09:42
Thanks Alan
What a terrific read. I wish my mum was able to travell, I'd love to show her some of the country we visit. Good to see you suffered no tyre or vehicle damage also , allways a bonus.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 385676

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:10

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:10
Hi Tess,

I only asked her to come a few weeks ago and she was looking forward to it. She really enjoyed it.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653301

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 13:12

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 13:12
Great read as always Alan.

Hanns camp is at 28 34.961 S 122 29.634E & the track you take in is at 28 33.982 S 122 28.770E. Scamps grave is a pile of coloured rocks under a bush. The well they dug is about 200m from the tree with the Hann's Camp tin plaque that Ian Elliot left.

Had to laugh when at Lang Rock when we saw GA Drinkwater's scratchings. He'd spelt his name wrong and then had to insert the R above and between the D & I.

Hope your mum had a good trip?

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 385694

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:13

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:13
Thanks for that Duncan,

I'll check out the camp hopefully next time I'm in the area - shouldn't be to far away.

I saw that inscription, perhaps he was drinking more than water??

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653303

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 15:17

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 15:17
Great report Al and a great trip. No punctures....no doubt you're using Cooper Tyres, the STT I see. Good choice mate. Any lesser tyre could possibly have resulted in work for mum in removing and patching it.

I would presume that setting the tent up for mum on the first night was purely instructional and that she was OK with setting up the entire camp for you by Day 2? Liked that photo of you around the campfire, no doubt waiting for the delibvery of evening meal prepared by Mrs Mac.

I dare say you've set her to work cutting and polishing the scratches out of the Fair Maid, love your work. She has really set the standard and I think I'll invite my mum along next year.

Cheers mate. Great read. Trust mum enjoyed the great outback as much as John did last year.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 385708

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:17

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:17
Hi Mick,

I'm not going to comment on tyres, or is it tires lol...

and arn't you just the comedian hey? I can assure you my mother was never pushed past her breaking point, that wouldn't be nice...

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653304

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 18:33

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 18:33
Fantastic report - I really enjoyed it and the photos.

Congratulations on finding those caches! We have had our eye on them forever but never have the opportunity to get out there.

Sue
(Team Pathfinder - geocachers)
AnswerID: 385727

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:21
Thanks Sue,

I've got a lot of catching up to do if I am to get as many as you. :))
There are a few caches on the main road, all the way up to Winton; would make for an interesting trip.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653306

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:21
Nice write up Al, should have made it a Blog so it will remain around forever rather than disappear into the Forum back blocks :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 385738

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:25

Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 20:25
Hi John, thanks

Yes - they disappear quick don't they?
I thought I might just add something a bit different to the forum for a short while.
It was good to get out again really..

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653308

Reply By: watery - Monday, Oct 05, 2009 at 05:54

Monday, Oct 05, 2009 at 05:54
Alan, Great to catch up with you at Rutters Grave, great photos .
We had a great trip, 12 flat tyres, found Woodhouse Lagoon and Alexanda Springs, both dry, a lot of spinafex around the exhaust pipes, wouldn't take a petrol vehicle up there. Spent a bit of time on the Eastern side of Prenti Downs, found some native paintings there, Windinna Spring is quite interesting, water still running out of it. Hope you got back ok, Regards Watery.
AnswerID: 385784

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Oct 05, 2009 at 19:52

Monday, Oct 05, 2009 at 19:52
Hi Watery,
Yes good to catch up the other day. 12 punctures hey - sounds like its a bit of a lottery out there.

That's a shame about the lack of water around. there must be some thirsty camels around; or a lack of rain (most likely explanation). Heres a picture of the Lagoon in 2003. I actually swam in it.

I'm certainly envious of you going out Prenti Downs way - I'd love to go and explorer around that area sometime.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653431

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 00:55

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 00:55
Hi Alan

Good to hear all went well. I hope your mum is still talking to you - lol.

Uhr's blazed tree. When I first saw it about 10 years ago it was alive and well. In 2005 it was dead and had been attacked by fire but was still standing. I am now disappointed to hear that it has fallen over.

The standing stones at Uhr Soak are most interesting aren't they - I have heard from some that they are ceremonial stones, others have said they allowed aborigines to keep absolutely still until game came close enough to be speared.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Thanks for a great report.

Phil

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 385907

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 01:26

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 01:26
Phil

It's a pity these items are not taken up by The Museum's of WA or Australia, I'm sure there are plenty out there. As in Tietkems on the Sandy Blight Junction road.

I'm also sure I saw 1 or 2 in the Kalgoorlie Museum or the Hall of fame??? or maybe at the Outback Hwy Museum at Laverton.

Regards

Richard

ps. got your books on the Woodlines, haven't read them yet but they look good and look very interesting.

Also there was a write up in the West about the Woodlines saving the Earth today..
FollowupID: 653475

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:38

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:38
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the photos. I guess nothing can stop the progress of time.
It is a shame and I can sympathise with Richard here, however I'm not sure of the solution.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653486

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 18:29

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2009 at 18:29
Hi Richard and Alan,

Its a shame these trees over time are lost - I raised my concerns about this tree 5 years ago with the Laverton Shire- they said they had no control over the area and couldn't do anything.

There is one blazed tree segment in the WA Museum in Northbridge. It came from W9 on the CSR and has Hann's blaze and many others on it. (It is also claimed to have J Forrest's blaze as well but that is incorrect - its not a J Forrest Blaze). Anyway somehow the blazed stump sitting in a museum doesn't do it for me - although losing it altogether doesn't either I guess.

Richard
Thanks for comments on Woodline books and the tip on the article in the West. I wasn't aware of that.

cheers
P
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 653552

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Oct 31, 2009 at 14:42

Saturday, Oct 31, 2009 at 14:42
Post Script:

The Geocache has now been found, by Hugo from the Netherlands..well done Hugo.

See following details from geocaching.com:

Hugo&Sarah found Nichols Knob (Traditional Cache) at 10/25/2009

Log Date: 10/25/2009
Yes! we are the proud FTF of this remote cache.

I am a geocacher from The Netherlands and when I first came to Australia a few years ago I was hooked on the outback and 4wd.

I already have been several times been back in Australia with my family and enjoyed every minute of it and when back in Holland I was searching for remote caches which where hard to get.

A year ago I found this one on the map from Geocaching.com.au and was very excited to do this one since it was so remote and there where no tracks to it as you are about 20Km from GZ.

Now it finally was the time, I came to Australia without my family to go on a boys trip with fellow cacher Barrabup sanctuary.As I still had to do some other things before we went on our trip I kept an eye on the cache and saw that the Equinox the placer of the cache had a look to see all was still there and placed some very attractive items in the cache for us, know knowing that it still was there and some nice goodies on top of it I was super excited and couldn't wait to go there.In Kalgoorlie I put new tires on my defender and 2 new spares on rims together with a big puncture repair kit to minimize to get stranded over there.I did watch the video and story from Equinox that he had placed on exploroz to get an idea to what was facing us as did I had a close look on google earth to find a way in.
When we finally arrived on lakes well road after fueling up in Cosmo I thought I had found the best way in from lake wells road, after 300m we crossed a dry creek and where struggling through thick mulga for at least 3km and then we where so happy when we came out and saw just spinefex for a while then faceing more mulga but not so think and just for a Km or so then a rocky ground for a few hundred meters when we passed Gibson Hill then again spinefex until we reached GZ! It took us 4,5 hours from lake wells road to do the last 18Km! We camped for the night and I saw why the rock formation just east of Nichols know is called red rocks when the sun rose.In the morning we took of again we doubted for a second to follow the faint tracks that Equinox left hoping it was a better way to get in. But we decided to backtrack our own which was much harder the we thought we lost it many times except in the spinefex where we left a pretty clear track but we had the track on our gps also to assist us.When I cam out of the first mulga on the way in I noticed that it was more clearer south east of where we entered.We decided to try heading south west from the point where we where facing 2-3 km of thick mulga which we had on the first 3km to come in from lake wells road.It was a very good choice no Mulga at all just spinefex and we did the 18Km from nichols knob to lake wells road in under 3 hours! I marked the coords where we came out and I am happy to give them to anyone that wants to give it a try also.Overall it was an adventure that exceeded my expectations and I thank Equinox Alan for his efforts to place this cache and I am sorry that it is not the oldest virgin in WA anymore ;-) The defender did do very well also and with no punctures we headed for De La pour Range NP which turned out to be a must see with beautiful breakaways and it must be a paradise for 4wd when wet, we headed for Sandstone, Mt Magnet and geocached our way back to Nannup through the wheat belt.

Took: 2x 50 AUD notes, the book which I was very keen to get, exploreoz sticker.
Left: 1x 50 EUR note, a LED lenser flashlight.
I will upload some pics when I am back in Holland.

Hugo

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 389509

Sponsored Links