Hole in caravan water tank

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:13
ThreadID: 7277 Views:3315 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I decided to pull out the black plastic water tank from under our old caravan and give it a good wash. I added some tank cleaning stuff and filled it up to the brim, put a cork in the inlet and outlet and layed it down. I then noticed a stream of water shooting out from a small hole on the top of the tank - so I got one of those little plugs that you repair black sprinkler hoses with and "fixed" it.

My question now is - should I have fixed it, or was it there on purposes to allow air to escape when you fill the tank? If that is why it was there, then I would be constantly losing water if the tank is full to the brim.

any info would be appreciated.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: koh - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:47

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:47
Not sure about yours but mine has a breather in the refill cap... would concern me having a breather in the tank it self with dust etc getting in, if it is there for a purpose I’d consider putting a breather filter on a line from it..

Cheers

Koh

A man goes fishing in a canoe and a pile of hand grenades

After a bit a ranger pulls up beside him and sternly informs him the he can’t behave this way.
The guy pulls the pin out of one, throws it to the ranger and says,
Well are you going to just sit there complaining? Or are we going fishing”

AnswerID: 31325

Follow Up By: petprass - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:53

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:53
Ha - no choice fishing :)

Sounds like that is what I will have to do.

Thanks

Peter
FollowupID: 22283

Reply By: Member - Vince - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:44

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:44
Hi Peter.
I ran a small plastic line from a similiar hole to the side of my camper. I have placed a cover over it to stop dust etc. & when I fill the tank I remove the cover & this enables the tank to fill by breathing better.
Regards
Vince
AnswerID: 31335

Follow Up By: petprass - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:54

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 16:54
Thanks Vince - hope the tank doesn't explode with no release of pressure.

Peter

FollowupID: 22284

Reply By: Member - Roger - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:07

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 17:07
All tanks need a breather, having said that if yours does not have a breather elsewhere I would do as suggested run a breather to a point higher than the tank and to stop dust etc getting in put one of those cheap fuel filters on the end of the line. Mke sure that the filter finishes external to the van or you could have a damp prob.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 31338

Reply By: GOB member vic - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 20:20

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 20:20
hi petprass
i know when i fill our tank it over flows from top of tank but ithink you need to reopen or extend breather as when you draw water out the tank may collapse because of the suction from the water pump

steve

imagine a 93 gu as ai cant get picture
the right size
AnswerID: 31361

Reply By: Member - Vince - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 20:30

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 20:30
Peter. Further to Rogers comments,with a breather you have no problem filling or pumping out of the tank. I use a small inline pump & have no problems with the system
AnswerID: 31362

Follow Up By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 18:08

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 18:08
Peter your plastic tank sounds similar to my tank in my off road camper.
there is a breather hole at the top and if you are using a hand pump the breather must be open to breathe otherwise the water won't pump out, and filling will also be difficult.
Usually the tank is held in a steel tray and this is bolted to the underside of the trailer. You may get a little dust entering but if you look inside any rainwater tanks on farms ect you will see a little sediment never hurt!!
The more you complicte things the less reliable they become.
FollowupID: 23707

Sponsored Links