Question for 'Diamond'

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 23:48
ThreadID: 7287 Views:2117 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Diamond..

I got 265/75/16 A/T Coopers on the GU last week. Rides well and very quiet.

However, the car now has a tendancy to pull left. I went straight to a wheel aligner (flash laser job) and he tells me the front wheels are perfect. ??? No need for adjustment.

I don't get it. Ever heard this before, should I just swap the tyres left to right or what??

Thanks in advance...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 00:00
and I did the tyre pressure thing already..checked all pressures and adjusted them...same deal>
AnswerID: 31380

Reply By: Rhubarb - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:19

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:19
Its not the camber of the roads you are driving on is it? Most roads have a leftward slope.
AnswerID: 31396

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:12

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:12
same roads I've been driving on for last 18months without a drama.

I thougth about this option but the left pull is a bit more severe than normal road camber.
FollowupID: 22331

Reply By: DINGO - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:24

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:24
i had exactly the same porob with the same tyres on a 60 seris and my mech said swap the front tyres from left to right which i though sounded like bs but i worked!i know that you aren't supposed to swap tyres from side to side but my tyre rep says thats bs and what about 2nd hand tyres or when a spare is used???
AnswerID: 31404

Reply By: Lyds - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 13:27

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 13:27
Just a comment on the noise.

I had Coopers on my Pajero and they whined significantly. I now have them again on my GU and I don't hear them (even when the diesel is quiet).

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 31412

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:12

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:12
gday lyds.
different vehicles will let differens tyre noise get through.
sounds silly?
we have some tyres we sell at work 205/65/15 autoguard we import them ourself.
put them on a falcon not a problem put them on a commodore sounds like rear wheel bearing are going to fall apart.
no idea why though jamieson wild cat
FollowupID: 22372

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:42

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:42
Yes...

I had the standard Bridgestone 693's before and they were noisier. Was very surprised to find the coppers quieter.

cheers
FollowupID: 22404

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:49

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:49
i know i might go on a little about coopers lol
but when your on a good thing stick to it loljamieson wild cat
FollowupID: 22406

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:07

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 19:07
gday andrew.
funny you should ask that question today i fitted a set of 265/75/16 h/t to a gu.
took it for a road test and you guessed it of to the left(quite common)
swapped front tyres left to right problem fixed.
im not sure if you understand wheel alignments but patrols run caster at the same degrees.so if you get a slight camer to the left(like most aussie roads)the car will tend to follow the road any car that is caster adjustable i always set caster half to three quarters more caster on the right to stop it drifting.partols/cruisers dont have any adjustment(except ifs cruiser)so theres not a lot you can do unless you want to spend big dollars on bearing kit.now for why will swapping tyres from one side to the other stop it pulling.theres heaps of reasons that ive been told every tyre fitter will give you a different reason.one or two that come up the most are.
when they lay the steel/nylon belts they is always going to be more layed one way than the other so that will cause that tyre to pull one way(all tyres have either coloured dots on one side of the side wall or you will see a number stamped(eg 4303 wich means it was built in the 43rd week o3) in to the side wall so they should all be fitted the same way coloured dots/numbers all facing in or out) so if the tyre on the other side is fitted the same way in theory the one on the left might pull left and the one on the right might pull right so they even each other out.thats were the caster on the road thing comes into if both tyres even each other out its going to follow the road.confused yet. a well built tyre should be built the same as the next tyre.ive had many a dispute with customers with recaps ect fitted and a wheel alignment car pulls left or right swap tyre and goes the other way so swap tyre on the rim problem solved(they think its rubbish how swapping tyres can fix it and i did a dodgy alignment if it was dodgy it would pull one way all the time lol)i cant remember do the 265/75/16 have raised white letters if not check for yelloy/red dots or build dates and make sure there all either inside or outside.if not get that fixed.
the other theory ive heard a bit is when they build a tyre they spin the rubber on at high speed from one side of the tread area to the other same thing its going to finish on one side of the tyre so its going to pull one way.i hope i havnt confused you to much lol and hope it helps.jamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 31453

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:48

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:48
Diamond

I have raised white lettering on mine. All tyres have a yellow dot on the side.

I will be having the tyres swapped L to R tomorrow. Will let you know the result.

Thanks for the info, and all the others. It makes sense to me and I'm feeling better now.!!!

cheers
FollowupID: 22405

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 00:19

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 00:19
swapped the tyres over today. Problem Fixed.

cheers
FollowupID: 22481

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 00:55

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 00:55
Diamond,

Reads as if you have quite a knowledge of tyres.

I have Cooper AT 265/75/16s. I am not much into RWL, so had the tyres fitted with RWL to the inside. Dealer had no issues with doing this and they seem to be performing just fine. I am just curious to get your feedback on whether this practice is OK.

Also, what do you recommend for tyre rotations. I am including the spare in rotation schedule. The Nissan manual recommends keeping tyres on same side (for radials). Local dealer says that radials can be rotated L to R and actually recommended this for even tyre wear (stop edges feathering). I've read that this is not too good for radials due to belt wind-up. Interested in your experience and recommendation.

Hugh
FollowupID: 22636

Follow Up By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 13:53

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 13:53
gday hugh.
rwl is ok on the inside the most important thing is that they are all inside or all out side some tyres dont have rwl at all so thats where you go by the build number stamped into it same thing all in or all out.rotations are a different kettle of fish.if i dont know the tyre history or there worn a little i pull all 5 of balance them all and fit the best tyre to l/h/f/ helps some times with drifting next best to r/h/f worst to spare and others on back.some people say dont swap left to right ive been doing it for years never seen a problem maybe on cheap tyres.most people usually only do a 4 wheel rotation if thats the case back straight on front and swap front f/l to r/r and f/r to r/l.if its the first rotation on 5 new tyres any ones guess lol ..any number of combinations there usually just find the worst and swap with spare and then normal rotation and 10000ks later swap spare with worst again. jamieson wild cat
FollowupID: 22658

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:23

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:23
Thanks Diamond,
What I've been doing sounds close to what you recommend:
rears to front - same side
fr to rl; fl to spare; spare to rr

Hugh
FollowupID: 22704

Reply By: GoingUnder? - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 21:15

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 21:15
Hi Diamond:
Sorry this is slightly off-topic but I noticed you had fitted Coopers H/Ts. Can you tell me if they were the LT version and what are the specifications and why you chose them. Reason is I am thinking of replacing my Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts with Coopers H/Ts and cannot find anyone on any forum, except you, who uses them. They seem to be a good choice for city and sand but I also heard they perform well up in Cape York - so why so few people using them?
Regards
AnswerID: 32031

Sponsored Links