lift job feedback on jackaroo

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:57
ThreadID: 7292 Views:2332 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me there thoughts after lifting their jackaroo. Are they happy with the results?. Has the offroad capabilities lived up to your expectations,for the money paid?. I have a 98 se.

Also, going to Fraser next week, anything thing I should know about the jackaroo up there.

Cheers

Jackablue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 13:45

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 13:45
Jackablue
Lifted my 99TD last week, put lovels (heavy Duty) springs on the back, RS500 all round and had the torsion bar wound up. All up gave a bit over 2" lift.
So far I found it does handle better however it has a tendancy to bounce in the back end although it has definatley improved off road performance.
Cost around $700, installed the shocks and springs myself, had Active 4X4 to the torsion bar.
Tim
AnswerID: 31413

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 15:03

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 15:03
Im interested to know how it handles rocky stuff in the front end. Let me know if you are 3 wheeling much on rough stuff, as this is my main concern. Does the back end only bounce when empty? I guess it has to settle in a bit. I'm all keen to do it but worried about losing travel in the front end.

I suppose you can't tell me much at the moment, only having it done a week ago.

Thanks

Jackablue
FollowupID: 22338

Follow Up By: Tim - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 21:49

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 21:49
Jackablue
Yeah you are right, I think its too early to make any conclusions however the bouncing was occurring with a reasnable load-140L fuel, fridge swag etc.
As far as the torsion bars go, make sure you get a wheel alignment after adjusting them and tell the guys that the height has been adjusted as it affects the "toe"(?) of the wheels.
Tim
FollowupID: 22395

Reply By: Member - Bill- Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 15:01

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 15:01
I found when I put Polyairs in the back of the '98 Monterey I had, even at the nominal 5 PSI in them it lifted it about and inch and a half from where it was in the back. I then just wound up the front bars to match and got a sizeable lift for the price of the Polyairs (around $350) from memory.

You can't lift too much on a Jack anyway since the front is upper and lower control arms so what you gain going up you lose going down if you know what I mean.

Adjusting the torsion bars is a DYI job. Under the mid section of the car on either side, at the rear of the bar you will see a big 24mm or thereabouts hex head bolt. You just jack the car up and turn that either way to go up and down. Turn it a couple of times and then put the car down and check height, repeat procedure. Measure gap beteen lower control arm and bump stop with a ruler is a good way.

If you want more clearance you may be could consider 75 profile rubber too.

FWIW the Polyairs worked really well and completely cured the tendency to bottom out at the back with a big load and for the bump oversteer on corrogations.

Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 31422

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 15:15

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 15:15
Bill did you just wind up the original front bar or upgrade to a heavy duty one?

I'm not sure on tyres & insurance etc. plus have to run the BF's bald first.

Thanks for the tips, I will check out the adjuster nuts though.

Jackablue
FollowupID: 22339

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 17:14

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 17:14
No I just left the standard ones in, it never felt like it was too soft in the front but I never had a roof rack or anything, mainly a big load in the back and a trailer on the ball. FWIW at 50K I changed the shocks over to Monroe Gas Magnum, they were the right price and really made it handle on the black top, they were a little harsh on dirt and then the fronts faded pretty quick on corrogations. I'd probably spend the dough on some Bilstiens, at least on the front if I had my time again.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 22354

Reply By: Matt M - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 20:43

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 20:43
jackablue, I own a 93 MU and while you might not see the relevance these two vehicles share their drivelines exactly, only mine is shorter!!

It weighs in at just over 1700kgs so is a pretty heavy truck for its size, has alot to do with the Jack running gear!

Over time mine had sagged nearly two inches so something had to be done! I lifted mine with new rear leaves and new Jack short shaft torsion bars, fitted track rider shocks front and monroe air rear. The air rears went in to save the backside while I was waiting to fit the new springs and with just the rear shocks and the torsion bars wound up, it made a HUGE difference!
I had an ARB deluxe winch and warn xd 9000, so I didnt want to just wind up the fronts hence the new torsion bars!

This all all good, handles soo much better and does not make it rough (if you wind the bars up too far the droop is eliminated and the ride gets very harsh) but thats only about an inch over standard, any more without altering the front A arms and then you hit problems!

If you want more I suggest you look at Calmini (www.calmini.com) and you will see all the good gear that is available and there are importers in Aust now if you are interested!

Goodluck,

Matt
AnswerID: 31457

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 13:56

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 13:56
Australian importer and prices (for a Rodeo) are............

2" lift torsion bar, shocks & rear shackle $995

3" lift upper control arm, torsion bar, cross member, shocks & springs $1995

Upper control arms alone (allows over 2" of wind up on the torsion bars) $885

4WDUSA
1a Chalkley Place, Bayswater, WA, 6053
Ph (08) 93703440 Fax (08) 93703369
eddieat4wdusa@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 22446

Reply By: geoff - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 13:17

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 13:17
Hi jackablue I havn't lifted the jack but my 2001se petrol goes great on fraser just got back spent 10 days let tyres down

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 31508

Sponsored Links